GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,504 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
1298 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [52] | 

Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: BSG 328: We Must Ignite This Couch rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: BGG_BSG_PBF [+] [View All]
Cal Corum
United States
Munster
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

BSG 328: We Must Ignite This Couch
7-Player, P, X (FF, PG), Ionian Nebula

Welcome to the start of BSG 328: We Must Ignite This Couch. This will be a play-by-forum game in the style established by ColtsFan76. Thanks go to him for getting all this started and also to Orphius/JasperHawk for creating the mod tools that will be used. Last, but not least, I have to thank markino, whose character tweaks I love and shamelessly steal.

Players
Michael Aldridge
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Infinite Dreams Gaming
badge
Warehouse 13: The Board Game
mbmbmbmbmb
Jason Novak
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
Nice and smooth.
badge
Our sentence is up.
mbmbmbmbmb
Noel Yap
Philippines
Pasig City
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Shawn Smith
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mb
Jan Itor
Scotland
Dundee
Angus
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeremy Cleveland
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Taylor Nast
United States
Ochelata
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Rules and Guidelines:

d10-1 In order to participate, you must own a copy of game.

If, at some point, you are temporarily away from your cards and need the text to make a decision, send me a GeekMail and I'll get you the relevant information.

d10-2 I intend for this to be a fast-paced game. You are expected to subscribe to this thread and to check in at least twice per day, preferably around 12 hours apart.

There is an expectation that you will not hold the game up for a significant period of time when it is your turn to make an action. If it is your turn to act and it has been more than 12 hours, I will issue a reminder to you. After 36 hours of inactivity, I will make your decision for you (and I'm not very good at this game). Habitual offenders may be replaced.

Do note that if there is active discussion concerning your current turn you will not be rushed.

d10-3 All communication between players must occur in this thread ONLY.

Anything that needs to be communicated privately by me and a player will take place via GeekMail. When sending me a GeekMail, please include the game number, your character name, and a description in the subject line. (e.g. "BSG 1337: Starbuck - Secret Destiny Use")

d10-4 Follow typical play-by-forum conventions when posting.

This includes always making it clear what character you are speaking as by including an appropriate banner at the top of each post. Banners created by DukeOfEarl et al. are available here. If you are mobile, please bold your character name at the top of your post. Other pictures for adding flavor can be found in this compilation.

Also, be sure to leave regular discussion in a plain font, in-character flavor text in italics, and actions you wish to take in bold. Be especially conscious of the bolding of your actions; I will not execute an action if it isn't bolded.

d10-5 Do not edit your posts.

Please do not go back and edit posts unless you are quickly fixing a typo immediately after posting. Instead, simply make a new post stating what you would have changed. This is to prevent confusion (both for me and your fellow players).

d10-6 Do not quote posts from more than one page back.

The game can get much less fun if some players have perfect memories, so if you are quoting another player it may not be from more than one page back.

d10-7 Respect the secrecy rules.

Battlestar Galactica is a much less interesting game if the secrecy rules are not closely followed. I suggest everyone take a look at the official "Secrecy Clarifications" document, the last page of the Official FAQ.

d10-8 Please respect the secrecy rules.

Yeah, it's worth a second mention! Players will be penalized for secrecy violations. The harshness of the penalty will be determined by the information given away.

Conditional Orders (COs)

1 I ask that you send me COs for anything you can think of. All COs should be sent to me via GeekMail, and be clearly labeled by having "CO" (and a description of what the CO is for) in the subject line.

2 If you have an interrupt-style character ability, then you must put in a CO to use your ability when appropriate. For example, I will not ask if Starbuck wants to use Secret Destiny on every crisis card that is played, but she may put in a CO to pause to let her decide when a crisis card meets certain criteria.

3 For this game I will be allowing public "TANK" COs. This is an exception to the rule; no other public COs may be posted.

4 Under many circumstances, I will not wait for interrupts before executing actions. The following is a (non-comprehensive) list of situations in which I will not ask for interrupts:

Declare Emergency
Strategic Planning on Launch Scout unless there is only one Raptor remaining.
Strategic Planning on attacks by Vipers, Raiders or Basestars.
Evasive Maneuvers unless it is the last ship protecting a civilian or is manned.

House Rules

1 Pegasus: Damage may not be assigned to Pegasus unless someone is aboard Pegasus.

2 Cain's Blind Jump ability is changed to read: "Action: Once per game, draw and destroy a civilian ship to move all Cylon ships on the main game board to the Cylon Fleet Board, then reset the Pursuit track."

3 Kat's Hotshot ability is changed to read: "Once per turn, if you would roll a die during an Action step, you may instead discard a Skill Card. Use that card's strength +2 instead of the die roll. You may not do this when activating the "FTL Control" location."

4 Tory's Adaptable ability is changed to read: "After any player uses the action on a Quorum Card, you may play a Consolidate Power from your hand."

Despite the banner, I am a HuMod (  Battlestar Galactica - Not a Cylon ) and make mistakes and miss things. If you see something that looks wrong let me know, it probably is!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cal Corum
United States
Munster
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Invites:
Vergaiden - Declined
TerminusEst - IN
BosonMichael - IN
Webspyder - IN
HazyAssaulter - IN
jwcleveland - IN

Alternates:
Valen200 - IN
jaynova - IN
dualedge - ACCEPTED
brynnfr
oriecat
swgod98

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel Yap
Philippines
Pasig City
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Reporting for duty, sir!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Nast
United States
Ochelata
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Pattie
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, Thanks for the invite.

I'm looking for a more "vanilla" game. So I'm going to pass on this one. But thanks, and have a safe and speedy journey to wherever you may be going.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Smith
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mb
I'm going to have to pass. I'm not a fan of house rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Novak
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
Nice and smooth.
badge
Our sentence is up.
mbmbmbmbmb
If there's room for me, I'm in like Donkey K...in. Donkey Kin. Yeah.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cal Corum
United States
Munster
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Alright, the four people who have checked in so far are all in. Could each of the confirmed players quote the below list and fill it out with your preferences? Thanks!

BSG 328 Game Options wrote:

Objective:
Kobol or Ionian Nebula (or New Caprica, I guess...but...):

Conflicted Loyalty:
Personal Goals:
Final Five:

Destiny Variants:
Treacherous Destiny:
Complex Destiny:

Any other thoughts? I'm pretty much open to anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel Yap
Philippines
Pasig City
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Objective:
Kobol or Ionian Nebula (or New Caprica, I guess...but...): Ionian Nebula

Conflicted Loyalty:
Personal Goals: Yes
Final Five: Yes

Destiny Variants:
Treacherous Destiny: No
Complex Destiny: No

I'm actually not a big fan of house rules myself, but I've been waiting on top of the waiting list for so long...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Smith
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mb
TerminusEst wrote:

I'm actually not a big fan of house rules myself, but I've been waiting on top of the waiting list for so long...

Glad to know I'm not the only one. I get the Kat one, but I don't agree with Tory being overpowered and needing modification. I also find the complete change of Cain's ability silly. I could deal with the "bury the first destination" variant if it really has to be changed. I also don't see how this damage rule is any more thematic than the original. I have played with one that just put all damage tokens in together so it was totally random which ship got damaged. That seems to make far more sense if it needs to be houseruled. Of course as long as you're rewriting the game, why not let a revealed Cylon decide which shop is damaged as long as there is one? I mean, it isn't like the toasters are targeting randomly is it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cal Corum
United States
Munster
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TerminusEst wrote:

That's understandable. If everyone wants to ditch any of the house rules we can do that. I include these house rules because I believe they fix holes in the original game. Pegasus is often written off as a damage sponge; Cain's blind jump can be really game breaking giving the extra jump; Kat needs the buff to make her worth playing; and Tory can be an absolute monster without the rewrite.

Of course, these are all my opinions and you are more than welcome to disagree with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Novak
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
Nice and smooth.
badge
Our sentence is up.
mbmbmbmbmb

Objective:
Kobol or Ionian Nebula (or New Caprica, I guess...but...):I'm going to be "that guy" and say New Caprica, but only because I've never played New Caprica. If we actually go for it, I'm going to need a refresher on what we're supposed to be doing.

If not, I'll change my vote to Ionian Nebula

Conflicted Loyalty:
Personal Goals:Yes
Final Five: yes

Destiny Variants:
Treacherous Destiny:no
Complex Destiny:yes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Aldridge
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Infinite Dreams Gaming
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cal2cool4u wrote:
TerminusEst wrote:

That's understandable. If everyone wants to ditch any of the house rules we can do that. I include these house rules because I believe they fix holes in the original game. Pegasus is often written off as a damage sponge; Cain's blind jump can be really game breaking giving the extra jump; Kat needs the buff to make her worth playing; and Tory can be an absolute monster without the rewrite.

Of course, these are all my opinions and you are more than welcome to disagree with them.

I have held off on joining because, like Shawn and Noel, I don't care for many house rules, either. That said, I would be on board with the following house rules:

- the typical house rule for Cain's Blind Jump where the top destination card is buried (so it can't be scouted)
- Kat's house rule (which doesn't buff her ability; it nerfs it, as the only change is restricting her ability from being used with FTL)
- humans drawing ship damage randomly from the entire pile of Galactica+Pegasus tokens (to prevent Pegasus from being used as a damage sink); we could decide whether revealed Cylons also draw randomly or whether they can choose the ship to damage.

I understand the arguments against Tory, but I don't think she HAS to be house ruled. Sure, she has the ability to draw a lot of cards, but there are ways that she can be dealt with, and she's not unstoppable. If the other players don't want her to be super powerful, it is up to them to actively do something about her. There are ways... ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Novak
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
Nice and smooth.
badge
Our sentence is up.
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as house rules, I'm pretty agreeable to anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Aldridge
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Infinite Dreams Gaming
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the event that I end up playing, I would be in favor of the following setup:

Objective: Ionian Nebula

Conflicted Loyalty:
Personal Goals: yes
Final Five: yes

Destiny Variants:
Treacherous Destiny: no (as I think Treachery is damaging enough)
Complex Destiny: no (as certain abilities are nerfed/broken with changes to Destiny)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cal Corum
United States
Munster
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

BosonMichael wrote:

I have held off on joining because, like Shawn and Noel, I don't care for many house rules, either. That said, I would be on board with the following house rules:

- the typical house rule for Cain's Blind Jump where the top destination card is buried (so it can't be scouted)
- Kat's house rule (which doesn't buff her ability; it nerfs it, as the only change is restricting her ability from being used with FTL)
- humans drawing ship damage randomly from the entire pile of Galactica+Pegasus tokens (to prevent Pegasus from being used as a damage sink); we could decide whether revealed Cylons also draw randomly or whether they can choose the ship to damage.

- I'm fine with the 'really' blind jump for Cain, that has been my standard Cain house rule in the past.
- Kat's house rule is actually quite the buff! The phrasing may be slightly counter-intuitive, though. Kat's Hotshot ability may be used even when it is not her turn (still only once); as long as it is during an Action step (so not during a Crit Sit).
- I'm also fine with mixing the damage tokens if that is preferable to you guys.

BosonMichael wrote:
I understand the arguments against Tory, but I don't think she HAS to be house ruled. Sure, she has the ability to draw a lot of cards, but there are ways that she can be dealt with, and she's not unstoppable. If the other players don't want her to be super powerful, it is up to them to actively do something about her. There are ways... ninja

Understood, if everyone in the game hates house rules (I guess I'm in the minority) we can change or completely scrap them. In the end the game isn't about what I prefer so we'll make it work for you guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Aldridge
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Infinite Dreams Gaming
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cal2cool4u wrote:
- Kat's house rule is actually quite the buff! The phrasing may be slightly counter-intuitive, though. Kat's Hotshot ability may be used even when it is not her turn (still only once); as long as it is during an Action step (so not during a Crit Sit).

Ah, I see now. In this case, I would NOT be in favor of this change (though I would be in favor of restricting her from using her ability on FTL rolls).

cal2cool4u wrote:
Understood, if everyone in the game hates house rules (I guess I'm in the minority) we can change or completely scrap them. In the end the game isn't about what I prefer so we'll make it work for you guys.

I'd like to play, but I guess I'd have to see what kind of rule set we're playing with before I am willing to commit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrick
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Objective:
Kobol or Ionian Nebula (or New Caprica, I guess...but...): Ionian Nebula

Conflicted Loyalty:
Personal Goals: Yes
Final Five: Yes

Destiny Variants:
Treacherous Destiny: No
Complex Destiny: No

I'm in if you need another player. My preferences are above. I don't have a preference if house rules are used or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Itor
Scotland
Dundee
Angus
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
checking in within the thread and subscribing. I am fine with modification, but am just as happy without. I would defer to the majority.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Novak
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
Nice and smooth.
badge
Our sentence is up.
mbmbmbmbmb
VALEN!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Cleveland
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I am in time to accept, I accept the invite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cal Corum
United States
Munster
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

You are, indeed. We are in the middle of a discussion about the house rules. What's your take?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Cleveland
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would prefer the house rule for Cain's blind jump be the typical bury a destination and then take the next one. Her other one listed at the top just seems a little too weak for Cain.

I would prefer the house rule for Kat just be changed to add that she can't use it for FTL. Otherwise, she should keep the thing where she can only do it on her turn.

I'm okay with the damage assignment either way.

I'm okay with Tory either way as I do not believe the original Tory is broken. The goal was to have someone be able to draw more cards since there are many circumstances where humans seem to be really low on cards when they're needed.

Other than that:
Objective: IN but I would be fine with Kobol
Personal Goals: yes
Final Five: Frak yes
Treacherous Destiny: don't care
Complex Destiny: no
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cal Corum
United States
Munster
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Alright, this much is decided: We'll be traveling to the Ionian Nebula with Personal Goals, Final Five, and no destiny variants.

Nobody has chimed in saying they are dead set on using the house rules and quite a few have requested they be revised. How does these two look for the only house rules:

1 Whenever damage is to be assigned to a battlestar it will be drawn from a combined pool of Galactica and Pegasus damage tokens.

2 Cain's Blind Jump ability will always bury the top destination before drawing the destination.

They can't complain that I'm not a mod of the people...frakkers probably won't even choose the characters in question.

We have our first five players locked in, we're waiting for BosonMichael's decision. He has first dibs on the spot over dualedge.

Once everyone checks off on the two house rules I will randomize player order and we will get this show on the road.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel Yap
Philippines
Pasig City
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm fine with the two proposed house rules.

C'mon in, Michael! The water's fine.

[And for sheer overpowered cheese, nothing beats CAG Apollo launching via Command.]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [52] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.