Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Schmidt
United States
Maquoketa
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I live in a small Iowa town with relatively few boardgamers(to my knowledge anyway). I was looking for a group around me, but unless I want to drive an hour and a half or more my search has been unsuccessful.

Is there any advice on how to get a group started? I have a small coffee house that has no problem with a group meeting there regularly. I'm able to get a few people to play games like Zombies!!! and Mall of Horror, but no one is very interested in games like Through the Desert, Carcassonne, and such.

Any suggestions? Take a look at my collection and let me know if you any suggestions also.

Thanks
-Mike Schmidt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Nurturing a Game Group
http://www.thegamesjournal.com/articles/NurturingaGroup.shtm...

How To Host A Games Day
http://www.thegamesjournal.com/articles/GamesDay.shtml

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Dumas
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do what I am doing: get a smart wife and have kids!

Start them young on a steady diet of games, working your way from Monkey Madness by Reiner Knizia (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/92005) to Advanced Squad Leader.

In no time at all you'll have a gaming group that you can ground if they don't play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tulkas wrote:
Do what I am doing: get a smart wife and have kids!

Start them young on a steady diet of games, working your way from Monkey Madness by Reiner Knizia (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/92005) to Advanced Squad Leader.

In no time at all you'll have a gaming group that you can ground if they don't play.

I'm taking your advise, but I might have started them a bit stronger than Monkey madness, they are hooked to Carcassonne and PitchCar (Carabande).

But the main problem with this is that you have to be patient AND willing to build a large family!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Go to the closest two or three game/hobby stores. Look for/ask about a public bulletin board at each. If there is one, post something about the kinds of games you like to play, and include your contact info. Even if the stores are some distance from you, it's possible that others in your area occasionally visit them.

Much more information at http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/694753#694753

b

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Schmidt
United States
Maquoketa
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, my first son is almost 1 year old. Gonna be a while before I can finally play a full 7 player game of Bohnanza...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Green
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After looking at your collection I would say pick a night when you can go to the coffee house on a regular basis, print up some fliers that say "Game Night Tonight 5-9 p.m." or whenever, and take the following games and just set one or two up on a table and sit there with a book reading until someone asks you about them.

--Star Wars: Epic Duels
--Mall of Horror
--Zombies!

I also suggest you buy the following games with the plan of getting them set up to look inviting on your game night:

--Blokus (and/or Travel Blokus)
--Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation
--Wings of War: Famous Aces
--Tikal
--Phoenix

Any of those would look awesome on the table and be fun introductions to the world of more interesting Designer type games. I would advise those because you can play with just two, but they will attract attention and interest.

Good Luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
SliverXII wrote:
but no one is very interested in games like Through the Desert, Carcassonne, and such.

Any suggestions?

Since you have the German version of TtD, do not have the rules visible to anyone when you try to drum up interest in it. It may turn them off. Sounds silly, but I'm serious. Lots of people are drawn in by the colorful camels. They may be turned off by a non-English rulebook.

If your friends are into horror themes, maybe the pastel camels aren't as appealing. Theme is a way to get other games played (Fearsome Floors?).

Cool-looking games can make people want to try stuff, even strangers. Ever see Zendo? People will ask you about it if you leave it out.

Don't give up on TtD; keep looking for people who may be interested.

Best of luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Also, know the rules to anything you're introducing inside and out before hand, especially to people who aren't as into games as you are. Introducing rules to people effectively is a difficult skill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Schmidt
United States
Maquoketa
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jwandke wrote:

Don't give up on TtD; keep looking for people who may be interested.

No way will I give up on this game. My wife and I like it. My mom does also. I'm just looking for some more people to play games with, My mom and wife aren't so crazy about the zombiehorrorzombie theme.

Thanks for the suggestions on setting the games up. I hadn't thought about that. Also for the suggestions of games to get.

jwandke wrote:
Also, know the rules to anything you're introducing inside and out before hand, especially to people who aren't as into games as you are. Introducing rules to people effectively is a difficult skill.

No need to worry here. It's been a family joke about Mike knowing the rules for everything. My mom and wife get so sick of me reminding them of the exact turn order for Bohnanza. They don't see how it can affect the game, but I can.ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bennett
United States
Grinnell
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My first bit of advice is to come down to Iowa City tomorrow, Monday. Chris and Edie are hosting a game day in their new house. You might meet up with some folks you can game with on a more regular basis. At worst, you'll have a good day of gaming.

Here's the thread. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/724008#724008

You can contact Chris for directions. Hope to see you there.

Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert R
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
My advice is simple: just post it here that you are looking for gamers. I moved and had a hard time finding gamers until I found BGG earlier in 2005. I posted a message here in the forums, and a few months later we are 10 members strong and growing. We even have a website (that also helps).

http://saboardgamers.blogspot.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.