J. Green
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since WoW is most interesting for its depth of character development, I propose an endgame variant that rewards players for efficient skill/talent/item combinations and for meeting personal goals.

In this variant, each player will write down a personal goal, such as reaching level 5 by a certain faction turn, or being able to use all 7 dice of a particular color to go along with their character build theme (i.e. having a tank-type character being able to use all 7 green dice before the endgame), etc. Players will receive a set amount of victory points for achieving this goal, which will be a secret personal goal revealed at the end of play. Players would be allowed to create a maximum of two goals per character per game.

Next, play continues normally, but if one faction doesn't kill the final boss by turn 30, there is no end-game PVP: Each team instead competes against the final boss simultaneously for 10 (or some mutually agreed-upon number of) battle rounds.

During the combat, players keep score of the amount of damage done each round to the boss, the amount of damage contributed by each character, and the amount of damage taken by the faction as a whole each turn.

After ten rounds, whether players are killed or the boss is killed, points are awarded to the factions for which team performed better in each round and overall.

Factions would receive 1 victory point for each round in which they did more damage to the boss than the other team, and 2 points for the team that either killed the boss first or did the most damage to the boss overall. Finally, players who met their secret personal goals would reveal this, adding 1 points for each goal met and subtracting 1 point for each goal not met from the final team score.

Teams could also receive a bonus victory point for every purple sphere item or unique quest item owned by the team.

The winner would be the team with the most total points for the combat, personal goals, and high-level items. Of course, your mileage may vary and I expect tinkering with the game to this degree would invite a variety of VP valuations and more or less factors contributing VPs to a team's final score.

Since the game is mostly about designing your character and maximizing performance, a victory-point based endgame that rewards players for success in those areas seems like a satisfying alternative to a simple slugfest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niels Taatgen
Netherlands
Groningen
Groningen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It usually only takes about two turns to take out the final boss in this game even with one faction fighting it, so a mutual endgame against the boss doesn't make much sense (the first faction will score most of the damage and the other will finish him off).
Also, character development is a means to an end, so in this variant the means and ends become confused. If you are the best in developing your character your chance of winning against either the boss or in PvP is optimal. You can still get unlucky though, and that is part of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Browne
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to mention the requirement for conditions.
"I wish to be able to roll at least one red dice" seems a lot harder than "I wish to be able to roll 20 dice at once". They both score the same.
My conditions would be
"I wish to gain at least one level" and "I wish to roll at least one dice".
When they were disallowed for the second game I would choose "I wish to have at least one skill" and "I wish to deal at least one attrition damage".
Etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dante Gagne
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the 'hidden goals', but it seems to me that there should be an established set of goals, each with their own value.

1. Rolling 18+ dice is worth N points.
2. Having learned all the possible skills is worth N points.
3a. Rolling all seven dice in one color is worth N points.
3b. Rolling all seven dice in two colors is worth N points.

Etc...

Then each character, at the beginning, writes down which goal(s) they wish to achieve. However, for groups (i.e. 3a and 3b above), you can only aim for one of the groups.

Then, each goal achieved is worth the number of points, each goal attempted and failed costs the number of points. Similar to Ticket To Ride... where just attempting something is more dangerous then leaving it alone.

Just my dos centavos...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Stuart
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
The problem is that the goals difficulty varies wildly by class: certain classes have a very easy time getting to 7 dice in one color (mages), but have a nigh impossible time getting to two colors, some have a pretty easy path to maxxing multiple colors (shamans), while others have trouble with just maxxing out one color (paladins). A victory system which suddenly let you acquire victory points based on number of dice would slant the games weirdly.

I think you'd be better off keeping victory goals within the goals of the game: awards for most quests, first quest of each given level, awards for each boss, first to level 5 would get at what you're looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.