GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,433 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Chris Malek
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played solo with 2 decks against Escape from Dol Guldur five times now and I never even come close to winning it. Either a vital hero gets captured to start (e.g. Eowyn) or the enemies pile up and overwhelm the player with the captured hero. Farthest I've gotten so far is partway through quest stage 2b.

I've played several different deck builds now: monospirit + monotactics; a few spirit/lore + a tactics/leadership sets and lately monospirit + "fellowship" (denethor/legolas/theodred).

So have y'all found that Escape from Dol Guldur is even winnable with a single core set? Do I just have to be lucky with my encounter deck and which hero gets captured?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Hussey
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This scenario is pretty much unwinnable solo. Perhaps with all of the expansions - but I think it's really a two-player scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wheal
United States
Kosse
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2 handed... apparently so..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTuZfCTLjUY&list=PL6agV3Ll1nN...

seemed to be luckier than most of my attempts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dundy O
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm getting bashed around by it right now. I have played it 3 solo with one hand and have reached quest card 2B twice, but haven't even freed my companion.

One try was with Lore/Tactics and after losing went to Lore/Spirit. It's working better but not nearly good enough.

I'm going to think about it tonight, look at some cards and tomorrow try either Lore/Leadership or Spirit/Leadership.

The killer part of this quest is working with 2 Heroes and only 2 resource pools. Can't keep up with the pace of locations or enemies in the staging area.

I'm only using core. My goal will be to only stay with the cards available at the point of quest release, so with this quest, it's all core.

I love this game. I have just fallen in love with it unlike any other board or card game I've ever played. What an amazing design. Being a Tolkien fan helps, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martti Lauri
Estonia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Played it three times and won it twice (last time just yesterday with my 9y old son). Last win was really-really close call several times, but we managed to get through it. I think it all depends on the hero being captured (both wins it was Beravor as single Lore hero) and guardians for the objectives. One loss we've gotten so far was really bad set of guardians from start (double Jailer).

The quest seemed easier first time around when we had higher threat-cost heroes on both teams - Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli, Eowyn, Beravor, ? . Aragorn was very helpful for both questing and killing/blocking. Current heroes set with 27/28 threat to start with were much better for Journey through Anduin, but we wanted to get through all the quests with the same band. We run tactic/leadership (Legolas/Gimli/Theodred) and Spirit/Lore (Eowyn/Dunhere/Beravor). Dunhere wasn't as good in this quest as he was in the Journey but killing those darn Hummerhorns was good enough as we both ended over 40 threat in the end.

EDIT. All done with single core set (even though I'm seriously thinking of geting another one and few of those extra packs).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
private_caspar wrote:
So have y'all found that Escape from Dol Guldur is even winnable with a single core set?

No, not really.

Quote:
Do I just have to be lucky with my encounter deck and which hero gets captured?

With extreme luck, it will be doable. But what's the point?

Here's a session report with a deck made from all the cards available (pre-Numenor):

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/895091/escape-from-dol-guldu...

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fuller
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
One Core set it is possible, but not solo. Taking away 1/3 of heroes is hard to come back from, but I have done it using one core set with Tactics/Leadership in one hand and Spirit/Lore on the other. So, two player basically. Check out COTRPodcast on here and Youtube, they show it being done. They do include 3 copies of certain cards that only have one copy in the Set, so its a bit different, but it CAN be done with a good draw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Malek
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everybody for your replies!

Seems like the feeling is that Escape from Dol Guldur is indeed winnable with just one core set if you use two decks and you have good draws and a non-critical hero gets captured and your initial encounters guarding the objectives are not too hard. And paka, I appreciate the tip about using Aragorn to give both willpower and sentinel defense. My Leadership/Tactics deck had always been 1 leadership hero and 2 tactics heros, with Theodred as the leadership hero. Now I'll try a 2 leadership/1 tactics deck

Like wister above, my goal is to complete each quest with only the cards available at the time the quest was released. That's me being a completionist and a cheap bastard at the same time (I've only got the core set and the first two adventure packs.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Riehl
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Back when only the core set was out, people did win DG solo (this was before the 2 handed thing became popular). I can't recall if anyone did it with just a single set, though. It's certainly possible, but very hard (and rewarding!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dundy O
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
camipco wrote:
Back when only the core set was out, people did win DG solo (this was before the 2 handed thing became popular). I can't recall if anyone did it with just a single set, though. It's certainly possible, but very hard (and rewarding!).

I'm new to this, but am fully hooked. I don't own a more thematic game. Right now I'm playing all my games solo and single-handed. I'm doing it for two reasons:

1) I'm not that smart. cry I think deeply enough trying to remember when I can perform actions, judge whether to add an ally to my party or spend resources for something else, determine how much willpower to commit to a quest while leaving enough allies to block attacks and also having effective attack strength, and so on.

This game squeezes my brain, but in such a fun, engaging way. I don't want to force myself to remember two sequences of seven phases each turn. I'd melt into a big pile of goo.

2) The Dol Guldur quest was specifically designed for the core set, and the core set claims 1-4 players. Knowing everything else about this game was extremely well designed, I believe that the designers and play-testers learned that Dol Guldur is beatable with core set, single-handed.

I made it a bit easier on myself by buying a second core, and that seems enough for now.

I'm trying Dol Guldur right now and failing. I'll write something up after I either give up on it solo, or beat it. Skidd is working hard right now, but but his brain-strain is eclipsing his ego.

Poor Skidd.zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.