GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,324 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: one sided finales. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
it's Timmy
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
I recently did Gryvorn Unleashed in two separate campaigns. The first was agains 2 heroes and in the first encounter only splig survived round one. After that they easily killed splig so i had no tokens. The second encounter came and the heroes won on the second round. I had barely scratched them. (Nanok+Avric).

Then with another campaign we did the same finale. All lieutenants survived round one, but two died the second round and then splig the third. No tokens saved. I had shadow rune from winning the interlude. So i had one token and 8 bonus health. I lost the first round before even getting a turn. I attacked once ising a token out of turn. The team was nanok zerker, leoric the necro, jain fairwood the thief, and the healer riding the wolf as a disciple. Jain did her heroic feat and moved me forward twice with her trueshot (bushwhack missed or i would have been closer) Then after all the other heroes and reanimate i died without taking a turn. It was seriously insane. i anyone else ha e this kind of experience? I just kinda thought it would be more balanced as the last map. Some of the quests before were terrible stomps with me stomping. I would win encounter one other times and get stomped encounter 2 when it mattered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitris Zervakis
Greece
Heraklion, Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are many others who think that the finales are leaning towards the OL's side. But all in all, I've come to believe they depict the whole campaign - if heroes have been gathering search tokens, winning a couple or more scenarios and getting good equipment, they do stand a chance. If not, OL has the upper hand.
In my group(4 heroes), the scenarios were 5 wins for the OL (me) to 3 for the heroes. But they had gotten good equipment and won the first encounter of the finale. On the second, they lasted quite a while and put up a good fight. But still, I managed to kill 2 of them, thus they started losing ground and finally lost. It lasted longer than expected though.
It can be a bit abrupt end, but I guess it's down to which side is the best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
That's definitely one of the common complaints about the Finales. They are some of the shortest quests in the game, and it can feel really anticlimactic to cap off the end of a 20-40 hour campaign with a one-turn encounter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Crowson
United States
Eyota
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think of the finales as more of a denouement than the big climactic battle.

It's wrapping up the loose ends and tying the previous encounters together.

The finale should heavily favor the team that won the most encounters, otherwise why play a campaign. You might just as well play a single winner take-all quest if the finale was an evenly matched sprawled out encounter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
it's Timmy
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
I guess I just expected something more epic like the interlude. I didn't expect to lose bbefore I got to take my first turn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Schröder
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
Loser at the 'Pursuit of Happiness Contest'
mbmbmbmbmb
Kneebyter wrote:

The finale should heavily favor the team that won the most encounters, otherwise why play a campaign. You might just as well play a single winner take-all quest if the finale was an evenly matched sprawled out encounter.

I guess you play a campaign because you have fun playing the campaign. Not because of the result. In my Opinion every quest should be a challenge otherwise the gaming evening would feel... well pointless.

That being said: In my Group (me as the OL) we are reaching the end of our first campaing and with gryvorn unleashed coming up (Alric Farrow being dead) I really can't see how any of the lieutenants are supposed to carry a token past the group.
I really dread that evening as another one where I sit at the table and watch the heroes just run over me...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Houston
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'll say this, I think Gryvorn should have more HP for 3 or 4 hero campaigns. The other Finale is a tad more balanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Descent 2nd Edition Quest Guide, Page 39, Gryvorn Unleashed, Dragonlord Gryvorn wrote:
Incredible Health: For each objective token in the overlord player's play area at the start of the Encounter, Gryvorn has 2 additional Health per hero.

Emphasis mine.

So while his base Health is 20, it jump to 28 in a 4 hero game with just one objective token, as opposed to 24 in a 2 hero game. With all four objective tokens from the first encounter (and owning the Shadow Rune), Gryvorn in a 4-hero game can have up to 52 Health, versus a maximum of 36 Health in a 2-hero game.

Of course, if the Overlord gains no objective tokens, then games with any number of heroes are equal with Gryvorn at 20 Health.

When my group played this, I only had the extra health from the Shadow Rune, as they stopped me from getting any of the tokens in the first encounter, but for the second encounter they got Gryvorn up to 25 damage or so, just shy of killing him before he ate them all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Houston
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yeah, I was aware of the rules, I just based my statement off the assumption that at best, he'd have 28, and that'd probably be from the Shadow Rune (if you got lucky and played OL Revealed and not The Shadow Rune, which is an easy hero victory).

Basically it should be balanced in other ways, not leaving the HP up to the first encounter which is nigh impossible to get a token off the map in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.