GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,128 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Kingdom Builder» Forums » Variants

Subject: MEGA GAME for hard core Kingdom Builder fans rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Candace Mercer
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For a period I have two sets of KB in the house as well as the first expansion. But to play this w two people you can still use 1 base set and expansion.

I set up 6 boards randomly in a 2x3 grid [will try 3x2 at some point] and then pick 4 victory conditions generally only one red one from the expansion. I just learned you can flip the boards 180 so I can't wait to try that!

I play w 80 settlements per player. That is where the extra set comes in. When I return that I will have to use different colors cry but it's still doable. It is about 1.5 - 2 hours but yes, intense.

Our house rules: 2 Nomads per hex, same rules as regular location hexes. We also play w the capitols assigned randomly to all castles. We have already been playing w the cave upgrade using chits from another game.

I was at first not impressed w KB. I had some rules wrong. But now after about 30 trials I am won over. It is a great gateway game and popular at game day. Elegant design. It may not keep my attention too much longer but it's solid, I am glad my gaming partner bought it for us!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Fernandez
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
candio wrote:
I just learned you can flip the boards 180 so I can't wait to try that!

Off topic -- but you mean you can orient the boards anyway you want? Even with some of the castles appearing upside down???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shayne Gray
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dyeyk2000 wrote:
candio wrote:

Off topic -- but you mean you can orient the boards anyway you want? Even with some of the castles appearing upside down???

I believe that is what he means. That's the way we've always played it. We just pick boards at random and have them orientated randomly as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tinwë
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Donkeys!! ^^
mbmbmbmbmb
nice, we will have to try that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dyeyk2000 wrote:
candio wrote:

This and many other common confusions are clarified in Kingdom Builder FAQ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Candace Mercer
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yes, that is where i got it, on the FAQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Candace Mercer
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After playing this version a bit, and reading the secret history of KB, I am tweaking it to be 60 settlements to be more in line w intent. I found w 80 you were able to accomplish too many objectives. 60 is keeping with the idea of 10 per game board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Somer
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
candio wrote:
Right!
Without the orientations, once you have chosen 4 boards, there would be 4! = 4x3x2x1 = 24 ways to set out the boards. By considering the orientations, the board set-ups increase by a factor of 8 (not 16, since the set-ups would be repeated by an overall 180-degree orientation), so 4 boards give 192 possible set-ups.

Russ, once I see how these new boards have their terrains laid out, I plan to update the calculation thread we have discussed earlier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Noparlik
Germany
Witten
flag msg tools
I'm about to purchase a second copy of Kingdom Builder, so we can have an epic 3x3 map with 80 houses per player.

I expect this to be more thematic, like if you were born Queen of Ireland and the other player king of Turkey, it would require greater efforts to conquer the all lands to even reach the opponent. Of course that way the player interaction / blocking of paths might suffer; but to me one of the most crucial decisions of the game simply is where to start: will the king of Ireland have the better planes - or should you rather be Queen of Sweden, Switzerland or Habsburg in the first place? :=)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. C. DeMarco
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wyngthor wrote:
I'm about to purchase a second copy of Kingdom Builder, so we can have an epic 3x3 map with 80 houses per player.

I would get an expansion instead of a second copy, for more variety. You can get extra houses from Spielmateriel or elsewhere online.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.