Arkham Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Choosing not to close a gate rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ivan K
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
mb
Let's say I have a character who has explored another world, but there's still someone in it. Can I choose not to close the gate during Arkham encounters phase (by not making Fight/Lore check) to prevent the other investigator from being lost in time and space?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue 80
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the rules to hand, but yes, as far as I am aware you don't have to close the gate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
foksieloy
Croatia
flag msg tools
You need kulen.
badge
How can you have any pudding?
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you can loiter at the gate as much as you want. Note that you do not get to avoid combat the next turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
During the Arkham Encounters phase, if you have an Explored token, your options are to close the gate or do nothing. You may not have an encounter, and you may not have an alternate encounter (such as the Science Building's Dissection).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gert Meyer
Denmark
Trekantsområdet
flag msg tools
badge
Skål - Cheers - Gom Bui - Prost - Almien - Salut - Kampai - Na Zdrowie - Gan Bae - Qapla
mbmbmbmbmb
GammaFiction wrote:
kungfro wrote:
During the Arkham Encounters phase, if you have an Explored token, your options are to close the gate or do nothing. You may not have an encounter, and you may not have an alternate encounter (such as the Science Building's Dissection).

Can you refer me to the rule that mentions this? I only have the base game.

Re-read the rules on the Arkham Encounters phase (p. 8-9). It starts out by dividing the phase into two options: Gate or No Gate. When you've come back and have explored the Gate, it is still there, so the Gate section still applies. In other words, you have no Encounter other than (optionally) closing the Gate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robert mentions an oft-cited rule, first introduced, I believe by the game's creator Richard Launius, in which the rationale behind this House Rule is that the gate itself is not that large of an extra-dimensional space, either at a small location in the Woods or in the basement of the Witch House, allowing an Investigator to still have an Encounter if they choose to do so. Now, if you have the Explored Token and choose to have an Encounter, what happens to your Explored Token is another healthy debate...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gert Meyer
Denmark
Trekantsområdet
flag msg tools
badge
Skål - Cheers - Gom Bui - Prost - Almien - Salut - Kampai - Na Zdrowie - Gan Bae - Qapla
mbmbmbmbmb
The Professor wrote:
Robert mentions an oft-cited rule, first introduced, I believe by the game's creator Richard Launius...

Alright. Fair enough.

If you are using that house rule, I would in fact say that you can have Encounters on explored Gates. And I don't see any reason this would affect Explored markers.

But of course, once you start down the slippery slope of house rules, I guess you can make a case for just about anything.

I tend to be quite rigid about rules. In AH more so than any other game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Frank
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes you don't have to close the gate, but if you leave the spot you will have to go back in and come back out to close it. If you stay you can fight any monsters there or potentially get one spawned on you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GammaFiction wrote:
I re-read the base game rules. Assuming the investigator explored and returned from an other world, and now has an explored marker, the following rule applies: "While he remains in the gate's location he is no longer drawn through the gate, but may instead try to close or seal the gate." The rule book refers to pages 17-18. "If, during the AEP, an investigator is on a location that contains an open gate and the investigator has acquired the explored marker, he may now attempt to close the gate."

I do not interpret these rules as giving the investigator the option to close/seal or to not close/seal the gate. I infer that the investigator has to make the appropriate Lore/Fight check each AEP, until gate is closed/sealed.

To be fair, the base rules also do not say that the player can choose to have an encounter rather than closing/sealing a gate.

Since the house rules I cited came from Richard Launius, making slight alterations to the official rules should be acceptable.
The key phrase has been highlighted; it specifically grants the option. If it was mandatory it would say "he must now attempt..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GammaFiction wrote:
I re-read the base game rules. Assuming the investigator explored and returned from an other world, and now has an explored marker, the following rule applies: "While he remains in the gate's location he is no longer drawn through the gate, but may instead try to close or seal the gate." The rule book refers to pages 17-18. "If, during the AEP, an investigator is on a location that contains an open gate and the investigator has acquired the explored marker, he may now attempt to close the gate."

I do not interpret these rules as giving the investigator the option to close/seal or to not close/seal the gate. I infer that the investigator has to make the appropriate Lore/Fight check each AEP, until gate is closed/sealed.

To be fair, the base rules also do not say that the player can choose to have an encounter rather than closing/sealing a gate.

Since the house rules I cited came from Richard Launius, making slight alterations to the official rules should be acceptable.

I'm not sure I'm following you. You quote the rules as using the word *MAY*, but than go on to say you feel it means it's not optional? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm really trying to figure this out. The use of the word *MAY* clearly means you have a choice. The rules even go on to state that if the investigator should leave the area with the gate still open, he loses the other world marker, which means he would be sucked back into the gate if he returned.

Also, you say:

What do you mean by this? What encounter is their to choose from on a location with a gate? When a gate is open on a location, that location is null and void until the gate goes away.

jorune
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gert Meyer
Denmark
Trekantsområdet
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GammaFiction wrote:
"While he remains in the gate's location he is no longer drawn through the gate, but may instead try to close or seal the gate." The rule book refers to pages 17-18. "If, during the AEP, an investigator is on a location that contains an open gate and the investigator has acquired the explored marker, he may now attempt to close the gate."

Now, English is not my first language, but for me the key word "may" implies optionality.

GammaFiction wrote:

Hey, it's your game, your house. You do not have to defend anything as being "acceptable" by any standard.

However, you're right. Coming from the designer of AH, those house rules carry a bit more weight. And I see nothing wrong with the rule, really.

I don't really think it unbalances the game much in any way, if at all. Since Clues are gone when a Gate opens, there's really not that much incentive to visit a Location with a Gate unless you intend to jump through it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
gf_ripper wrote:
Yes you don't have to close the gate, but if you leave the spot you will have to go back in and come back out to close it. If you stay you can fight any monsters there or potentially get one spawned on you.

You're also taking a gamble the game isn't going to take advantage of getting a second crack at destroying your character and preventing the latter attempt to close.

But Arkham is all about risk, so what's one more?

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
If, during the AEP, an investigator is on a location that contains an open gate and the investigator has acquired the explored marker, he may now attempt to close the gate.

Emphasis mine. May, in AH, always gives the investigator an option.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
It can be a very viable strategy not to close a gate. Here are a few examples where we would under most circumstances not close a gate.

Situations where leaving the gate alone and move on:

1) Investigator was sucked through a gate by it appearing on him. He does not have 5 clues to seal, and the gate count is at least two away from causing the A.O. to awaken.

2) Similar to point #1; Investigator went through the gate with the requisite number of clues but lost them due to encounters.

Situations where sitting at the gate for a period of time without closing it makes sense:

1) "No one can help you now" environment is in play (gates cannot be sealed). It may be most strategically sound to sit on the gate and wait it out for another environment to displace it.

2) You do not have enough clues to seal the gate, but have a tome that will give you enough clues to seal it. Sit there for a turn or two and read the tome, then seal the gate.

3) You do not have enough clues to seal the gate, but another investigator has an item (Elder Sign, Tome, or other clue generating item) that he can deliver to you.

4) You do not have enough clues to seal the gate, but Patrice Hathaway is in play, or a player has a hand camera and you need only one clue.

5) You do not have enough clues to seal the gate, but you have foreknowledge of an upcoming Mythos card that will allow investigators to gain or transfer clues.

6) You have foreknowledge of an upcoming Mythos card having a gate burst at your location.

There are probably more, but these are the ones that come to mind for my play style. Personally, in a case like the OP described, unless being LiTaS caused the other investigator to be devoured, I would just seal him in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.