Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Building the perfect game collection for our growing family
badge
Who knew Euro games could be thematic?
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I just picked up Descent 1E and all expansions (including Sea of Blood). I got them used, and this came with a great, big card divider, meaning I can attempt to keep all the cards organized.

I'm still combing through the rules, but with all expansions and errata, this is going to take awhile. Priority number one is organizing everything, which I have mostly done with monsters, tiles, and tokens. Cards are next, but I could use some help in what can be combined and what cannot.

I know that for the campaign expansions, certain cards have to be pulled out for play, but I'm okay doing that before beginning a campaign. In other words, if an overlord card had to be removed for the campaign, I'm still okay storing those with the rest of the overlord cards.

That being said, are there certain types of cards I need to keep separate? For instance, RtL and SoB both come with campaign monster cards, but are each of these identical (assuming I add the ToI campaign monster cards into RtL), thus making them duplicates?

Can I put all non-campaign monster cards together (i.e., I can bring ToI monsters into a core game quest)? All overlord, trechery, rumor, etc?

ANY help is appreciated, so thank you in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RtL and SoB monster cards have a minor difference, some monsters in the SoB set have the new Swim ability.

Yes, you can bring ToI monsters into the base set. In fact, if you use the Overlord deck properly (i.e. added in all the 'free' cards into the base deck), you will have to use ToI monsters in the base missions (the game comes with a couple spawn cards for those monsters that don't cost treachery and are supposed to be included in the main deck).

I tend to have my cards separated this way:
- Overlord Core Deck
- Overlord Treachery Deck (all in one)
- Monster cards
- Hero Skill cards
- Treasure Decks (one for each type)
- RtL cards (Tamalir Upgrade, Party upgrade, Locations, Encounters)
- RtL Avatar cards (different upgrade and Lieutenant cards)
- SoB cards (Ship upgrades, Party upgrades, Locations, Encounters)
- SoB Avatar cards (different upgrade and Lieutenant cards)
- Advanced Campaign dungeon level cards (both RtL and SoB in one deck)

I think that's it, but there might be some cards I'm forgetting.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hancock-Parmer
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
History Professor; Interested in Co-op Dungeon Crawler Design
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to add a +1 to shnar's system, which is identical to my own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Holzhauer
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Building the perfect game collection for our growing family
badge
Who knew Euro games could be thematic?
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Burk
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance!
badge
Rakes, my arch enemy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Shnar's system is a good one, but I'll show you a slightly different take which is what I use. I prefer to store in baggies, and as such the fewer baggies the better.

1) Common shop cards
Here I have the shop deck items plus Tamalir upgrades. After copper level, it rarely needs to come out as most Tamalir upgrades desired are purchased, so it often isn't unpacked.

2) Feats
Stores the feats, always unpacked.

3) Overlord deck/monsters
Here I keep the OL core deck and store the current monster level cards too. The cards are very visually distinct so it's a super fast process.

4) Overlord upgrades
Here I keep all the plots, LTs, upgrades, dark relics and the spare monster cards. Most purchases for the OL are things that don't require cards like treachery or monster upgrades, so I don't often unpack it.

5) Treachery
Here I keep all the Treachery. It is rarely unpacked as I have favorite treachery cards that usually sit in the deck, and this is where swapped out core cards sit.

6) Treasures
All the copper, silver and gold treasures. I always unpack the cards for the age and leave the rest.

7) Encounters and rumours
Here the Incidents and Location cards sit and the rumours too. You can easily go a few sessions without needing encounters but I always unpack it just in case. Rumours are not quite rare in my experience, but close. So if you have a session that will be stuck in dungeons, I don't unpack it.

8) Dungeons
All the dungeons from RtL, SoB and ToI. Self explanatory.

9) Storage
Here is where vanilla descent monster cards, relics, FAQ banned/restricted cards and the cards of the campaign that I'm not playing (like SoB during RtL). And obviously, this is never unpacked.

I find being choosy about what you have to set up and tear down speeds it up a fair bit so that's how I do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Retired Hurt

Brussels
Unspecified
msg tools
About 9) : don't forget to put aside older versions of modified cards, so that you don't wind up with e.g. two Great Bows or two Deflect Arrows in the same deck. Apart from this my system is very similar. Only, I put all treasures together because, while one doesn't need to unpack treasures from another age, one need to re-packthem when they're abandoned / used / destroyed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Burk
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance!
badge
Rakes, my arch enemy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah yes I forgot to mention that, that is what I have in my storage baggie as well. Speaking of forgetting, I also put the unlearned available skills in the common shop card baggie too, I had forgot to mention where I put them.

So generally out of 9 possible bags, I only unpack 5-6 any given session. If I need something out of the other ones like a skill or new treachery card, I usually just replace it back to the box immediately.

Of course whatever system you use for yourself works. This game is just begging for an organizational system of your own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.