Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roberto Chavez
United States
Vista
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Games Workshop has started selling e-books. This action has lead their lawyers to claim that their trademark on "Space Marines" applies to all publishing formats. Taken to the extreme, which the GW lawyers are doing, they are claiming trademark on anything published involving "Space Marines".

An author who was dinged by this claim is unwilling to fight the lawsuit, not because she has the law on her side, but because she does not have the money.

Her original post is here: http://mcahogarth.org/?p=10593. There is some discussion about finding a pro-bono law group or crowd funding for lawyer fees. I already have too many things I'm not doing. However, Games Workshop is out of control again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tripp beat you too it, once you get past the ranting http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/926283/screw-you-and-you...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would support a Kickstarter project in her legal defense. It would be like taking a small pin to GW's bloated balloon head.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
I would support a Kickstarter project in her legal defense. It would be like taking a small pin to GW's bloated balloon head.

How about starting one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just an idea person, but would financially support this project if it ever started. Honestly, I couldn't care less if GW lived or died, but I'm sure there are plenty of BGGers that would like nothing more than for GW and its lawyers to choose the latter.

slatersteven wrote:
darthhugo wrote:

How about starting one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
I fully support GW in this area.

Next stop: Taking 14th century knights to court and suing them for copy-write infringement on the use of war hammers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would pay $ to see that confrontation.... lawyers serving papers met with spiky-metal weapons, smashing their melons to squishy-bits.

broken clock wrote:
I fully support GW in this area.

Next stop: Taking 14th century knights to court and suing them for copy-write infringement on the use of war hammers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KRAMPUS
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:

You would have to use Indiegogo, as I do not believe Kickstarter allows fundraising for this type of project.

I would definitely contribute to an Indiegogo defense fund.

If enough money is raised, not only can the term "Space Marines" be saved, but someone could finally put a well deserved "big hurt" on GW and stop their nonsense once and for all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Vore
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
Send me a trade offer!
badge
I WANT MY TWO DOLLARS!
mbmbmbmbmb
this is silly and sad. shame shame shame on you GW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Next up in the lawsuit list: Amazing Stories for daring to use the term "Space Marine" in 1932 in Olsen's Captain Brink of the Space Marines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought this originated with Heinlein's Starship Troopers novel, which predates Games Workshop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cornjob wrote:
I thought this originated with Heinlein's Starship Troopers novel, which predates Games Workshop.
Nope, much earlier then that (1932).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rvinyard wrote:
Next up in the lawsuit list: Amazing Stories for daring to use the term "Space Marine" in 1932 in Olsen's Captain Brink of the Space Marines.

OK, this was before Heinlein's. I guess Olsen should have copyrighted it.

I hope Games Workshop doesn't have a copyright on my DNA. That would suck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manchuwok
Canada
Mission
BC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:

I would support a KickStarter project to countersue GW so hard they go out of business.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cornjob wrote:
rvinyard wrote:

OK, this was before Heinlein's. I guess Olsen should have copyrighted it.

Actually, they're claiming trademark, which in this case is much more insidious.

As long as you keep them alive and keep using them, trademarks never expire, unlike (theoretically) copyrights and patents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave, or "Phineas" or "Tolstoy" or,
United States
Mount Holly
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cornjob wrote:

Then, I guess, you would not be permitted to reproduce.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chony McChuukface
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hoya wrote:
cornjob wrote:

For a small licensing fee he could. Of course, that would make GW pimps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manchuwok wrote:
darthhugo wrote:

I would support a KickStarter project to countersue GW so hard they go out of business.
We can but dream.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Plourde
Canada
Windsor
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Assuming that everytime someone create a genre, a theme, a title or whatever, and copyright it, tt might become impossible to write 2 words in the future without breaking some kind of copyright. Today it is 'Space Marine', tomorrow Rio Grande sue the state of Virginia for using their trademark as a slogan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Vore
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
Send me a trade offer!
badge
I WANT MY TWO DOLLARS!
mbmbmbmbmb
Next GW will try to sue Tolkien for using the term hobbit... Then Peter Jackson for making movies based on their games...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chang1701 wrote:
Next GW will try to sue Tolkien for using the term hobbit... Then Peter Jackson for making movies based on their games...
I would not put is past them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hoya wrote:
cornjob wrote:

Actually, corporations are actively patenting gene sequences in your DNA. This may result in universities and medical researchers being unable to do research on diseases that might affect you without paying licensing fees to the patent holders. Games Workshop are assholes alright, but they have nothing on the big drug companies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Holt
England
Rayleigh
Essex
flag msg tools
This is not the cat you're looking for - some other cat maybe?
badge
tout passe, tout lasse, tout casse
mbmbmbmbmb
cornjob wrote:

Actually the Starship Troopers of the title were called "Mobile Infantry", not "Marines" - it is not clear if there were "marines" in that environment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dallas Tucker
Indonesia
Jakarta
flag msg tools
designer
(This space intentionally left blank.)
badge
What is the good life?
mbmbmbmbmb
Wouldn't GW have to do something about Blizzard Entertainment and Starcraft in order to obtain a trademark on Space Marine?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.