Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Limoges
Canada
Unspecified
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb

I'm confused with the notion of "network" and "roads" in the rules.

The rules section about "roads" say that they you can build a road from an opponent's cities, not just yours. Alright. So, since you can build cities of your color as long as this new city is "connected by one of your roads", I assume that you can pop up in the middle of the board by building a road from an opponent's city towards a town, and then found a city on that town. All of this would be legal, despite the fact that you don't have a "network" of roads of your color linking this new founded city to the border of the map.

Am I wrong if I understand "network" as: any series of connecting roads and cities/town/oracles of your color that do NOT need to be connected to the border villages (therefore there can be many networks of you color) ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure how "Network" is used in the rules, but you basically have it right. You can build a road out of your opponent's city, and build a city in a village you have connected with this road.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Limoges
Canada
Unspecified
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb

Well, I must admit I use the French rules, where the word "réseau" (network) is used. It says, for example, that to build a road out of a village or oracle, this village or oracle has to be integrated to your "network" prior to doing so. I was confused with this idea of "network", unsure whether a player has to have some kind of link to the border (green) towns in order to have a "network" in this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well in the case of building out of an Oracle or Village, you must have one of your roads leading into the Oracle or Village. So in that sense, there must be a "local area network"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Limoges
Canada
Unspecified
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb

Alright, thank you. The French translation is a bit rough, I guess. It has confused me more than anything else, and I was thinking of a network in the sense of having all of our cities connected together, somehow, by roads, to the border of the map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You will generally see one or two connections to the outside green villages, but going first in this game is a bit of a disadvantage, as if you want to build a city on that first turn, you lay the city, and then the other players play off of what you have done.

An underappreciated gem that is very hard to explain, and whose rules are a bit tricky, (or rather full of exceptions), but once you play a bit, it all makes sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.