17 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Art Style Change rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lanabound
Canada
flag msg tools
Is it just me or has the art style changed since first edition? The first edition was more realistic looking. The second edition seems to have a comic book style with gentler and more animated expressions.

Compare Andira Runehand from D1 base game to the new gnome chick from the Labyrinth of Ruin. Or compare Nanok of the Blade from Well of Darkness to Grisban the Thirsty from D2 base game. The ones from D2 look more cartoony.

Do you think this is an attempt to appeal to a wider audience? Would the game feel more "family friendly" if younger kids took a liking to the characters?

And which art style do you like more?
I'm undecided. I like both for different reasons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lana - I have never played the 1st edition - just the 2nd ed; however, I am chiming in here to welcome you to BGG!

-SK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Munch
Denmark
Lystrup
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is the style made popular by World of Warcraft, and since that made enough money to built a death star, everybody copies it. Same why there are classes now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dawid
Poland
Cracow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Art work on the hero and lieutenant cards is the only thing I don't like about Descent 2.
Monsters could be better too.
I would be thrilled if they made them realistic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps.
But Widow Tarha is quite creepy and the Reanimate is less friendly than the v.1 familiars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
I for one am glad that the graphics are not too gloomy or "devil worship" style.
I like fantasy when it slightly reminds me of my childhood dreams.
I would say that I am more "Narnia" than "Stephen King" when it comes to my inner world.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raphael Pigulla
Germany
Feldkirchen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I like the art style of 2E. What usually happens with games that use overly realistic drawings is that the rest of the components just can't keep up. What you end up with is some game parts being very realistic while the rest is so-so.

But maybe that's just me :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
n3rd wrote:

...But maybe that's just me :-)

...and me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They changed art style multiple times though, usually that came with changing artists. Tomb of Ice had specific style to all the characters, Altar of Despair had, a bit more cartoony feel, with much more vivid and colorful characters.

The person who made arts for 2E core, from looking trough her blog, never made anything remotely as realistic as she did for 2E. And I like those artworks, highly detailed and minis based on them are pretty good, especially compared to some from first edition...

I think Lair of the Wyrm has heroes most similar in style to what we saw in 1st edition, s it's not that they went all cartoony - it's just the artist draw like this nowadays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
Lanabound wrote:

Do you think this is an attempt to appeal to a wider audience?

Maybe. Or maybe the previous artist(s) were unavailable/busy on some other project, so they had to find someone new.

Maybe they just wanted a different art style to set 2E apart from 1E. There have been a number of pretty big changes in the Terrinoth setting since 1E was published.

Personally, I don't spend much time worrying about why things like this happen. I don't really care why FFG changed the art, all I care about is whether I like it or not.

Lanabound wrote:

And which art style do you like more?

Personally, I prefer the 1E art style, but in fairness that may just be because I've grown accustomed to it. I have followed the same 12 "core heroes" through three, count 'em, three whole game lines after all.

That said, I don't dislike the 2E art. It's different, sure, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

That's as far as the heroes go. As far as the tiles go, I definitely prefer 2E art. Much more vibrant and exciting. As far as monsters go, I honestly don't notice a huge difference with most of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lanabound
Canada
flag msg tools
Thank you Jeff!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hubert AMG
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the graphic of the 2E very much. It is readable, nicely designed and the fact that they are so colorful does not bother me.
What I did not like in 1E was the hero cards. It kind of looks like the design has not been finished. As some parts of the graphic is missing. Similar to Defenders of the Realms - also not my type.
What I don't like in the 2E is that there are mini-american cards. I would prefer to keep all the cards in the size of STD American. Of course I understand that using mini size cards helps with the storage (smaller box of 2E), helps to organize player area on the table ect, but I still like full size cards
In 1E the boxes had very nice art work - and the art on the cards was consistent - however the background of the cards was not keeping up with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D F
msg tools
mbmbmb
There are major hick-ups in both editions, like Lyssa in 1st.

Some paintings are plain ugly and I wonder how they made it onto the cards to be honest. The quality is so inconsistent that to me it seems like the art directors attitude was either very forgiving or they just took what they could get.

That aside, the art style from the first edition is a lot more believable, with less curvy forms, more texture on the skin and an overall "dirtyness" that gives it a more grim touch.

Second edition looks too clean, is brighter and often lacks proper shading to give it more perceived spatial depth.
Besides the style, the 2nd edition has some really weird postures for some of the heroes, adding to the unbelievable presentation. There are some fundamental artistic issues, like back layer / front layer sizing (arms in background too thick) or postures that are extremely unnatural.

So independent of taste, I would say the 1st edition had the better drawing quality, with some exceptions...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Rydin
Sweden
Helsingborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the original 2:ed artwork was great.
Of recent, I think its getting uglier and uglier though

Check out https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/10/12/stewar...

Compare this character card from the upcoming expansion:

With for instance this one from the original game:

What is up with THAT?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I must admit..i would rather the character art was more "grittier/realistic" than the artwork at present.dont have anything from 1st edition so cant compare them but if that dragon pic above is anything to go by...BRING IT ON !!..seer kel pic above looks like something that should be on a super dungeon explore character card imo.funny but ive noticed the art work for the lieutenants is pretty good and thematic..especially the three in mists of bilehall expansion..[the figures are stunning too by the way]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wyatt dumas
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
I'd say I like, at least, that the female characters in 2ed have moved away from the stripper poses presented in 1ed (I'm looking at you Red Scorpion).

... leaves more to the imagination.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niclas Lundberg
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Agree. Earlier heroes were ok, but 1st edition artwork was almost always better...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.