CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me start with this disclaimer. I am really not a fan of Anime in general, but somehow Hayao Miyazaki seems to bring to the table movies that hit that soft spot in me. Yesterday I watched the movie Kokuriko-zaka Kara which in the U.S. the English version will be released as From Up on Poppy Hill. A coming of age film, who's main character is a girl being raised in a rural Japanese village, the the private school she attends. And unlike earlier titles like Howl's Moving Castle or Princess Mononoke, there is no fantasy elements to the movie. It's a very serene calming feel good film that is more about the setting than the plot. And sometimes I am OK with that. It's relaxing.

And I think that is what I like about most of Miyazaki films. The setting always captures the imagination, and you just want to be there. The sound and editing is top notch, and for an animated film that is an accomplishment.

If you get a chance to see it, I do suggest it.

//edit: Yes, I know how the quote goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manchuwok
Canada
Mission
BC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks interesting. I hate anime. Miyazaki's Spirited Away is my favourite film of all time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
いい竹やぶだ!

South Euclid
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the heads-up; I've heard very little about this film, and I'm a huge Studio Ghibli fan. It sounds a fair amount like Mimi o Sumaseba (Whisper of the Heart), my favorite movie of all time.

Studio Ghibli is very little like what most people think of as "anime." Miyazaki-sama has often been called "the Disney of Japan," which I think is a accurate only in terms of his worldwide popularity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
robigo wrote:
Thanks for the heads-up; I've heard very little about this film, and I'm a huge Studio Ghibli fan. It sounds a fair amount like Mimi o Sumaseba (Whisper of the Heart), my favorite movie of all time.

Studio Ghibli is very little like what most people think of as "anime." Miyazaki-sama has often been called "the Disney of Japan," which I think is a accurate only in terms of his worldwide popularity.
Yeah, I've never heard of this film but now I'm looking forward to it too. I see it is planned for a late March release here in the US.

My favorite Ghibli/Miyazaki films would be Spirited Away and Totoro. Whisper of the Heart wasn't a favorite of mine; it was well done, but I really enjoy the beautiful and crazy fantasy elements of most Miyazaki films. In some films these elements work better than others, but when it works well it really grabs me.

I agree that Miyazaki isn't really anime. Some of his work is in the genre (in particular Nausicaa, and maybe Princess Mononoke or Castle in the Sky), but most of his films are just animated films made in Japan, with little else in common with standard fare anime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Hickle
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
This space for rent.
mbmbmbmbmb
This makes me happy. Miyazaki is one of my favorite filmmakers - I love Spirited Away and Castle in the Sky, and my wife absolutely loves Howl's Moving Castle. But they've all been great. We'll be watching for this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
Guess where I went while in Tokyo last month!

The Studio Ghibli Museum has movies--6 in total, one for each day they are open--that you can only see while there. We saw this one while there http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Looking_for_a_Home_(film). I should get a picture of the tickets to get into them online, they are pretty cool, they have cells from the animation in the ticket.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
badge
I have become my own island state. A ravaged, war-torn land where nothing grows and the horizons are bleak.
mb
All this Miyazaki love and no one has mentioned My Neighbor Totoro. Also, don't forget Ponyo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
午餐先生
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Castle In The Sky is another favorite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Boyes
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
or Porco Russo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serious? Lee
United States
Coppell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Lost in thought.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've enjoyed introducing Miyazaki's films to my girls. Castle in the Sky is my oldest's favorite and My Neighbor Totoro is my youngest's favorite. I'm partial to Spirited Away myself. This looks like another good one to watch together. Thanks for the heads up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manchuwok
Canada
Mission
BC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget Pom Poko. What other children's movie features raccoon testicles being used as parachutes, carpets, and weapons?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
These are not the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business.
badge
Move along.
mbmbmbmbmb
No one in my family liked Ponyo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
“It’s raining tacos, from out of the sky. Tacos, no need to ask why. Just open your mouth and close your eyes: It’s raining tacos!”
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
bulldog93 wrote:

That's too bad. It's a sweet movie. It's Miyazaki's take on H.C. Andersen's The Little Mermaid. MUCH different from the Disney-ized version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Ghibli films are great. Also, if you own a PS3, I would recommend trying the game Ni No Kuni. It's a combined effort by the developers of the Professor Layton games and Studio Ghibli.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for recommending. Miyazaki's storytelling through animation is fantastic. And his attention to detail really brings his creations to life. Spirited Away is my favorite of his, and a top movie choice for me overall. But I have a real soft spot for the steampunked Castles in the Sky and, especially, Howl's Moving Castle. Treasures in my movie collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb

Bob's Burgers Loves Totoro
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tang
Malaysia
KL
WP
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You know whats weird for me?

When I watch a Miyazaki film, the food and the way the characters eat it always look so good! Makes my mouth water. Crazy for an animated film.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Simpson
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thermogimp wrote:
Ghibli films are great. Also, if you own a PS3, I would recommend trying the game Ni No Kuni. It's a combined effort by the developers of the Professor Layton games and Studio Ghibli.

I'll second this... I received this last weekend when it was released over here. It's breathtakingly beautiful and feels like you're almost inside a Ghibli film.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
claymore_57 wrote:
bulldog93 wrote:

That's too bad. It's a sweet movie. It's Miyazaki's take on H.C. Andersen's The Little Mermaid. MUCH different from the Disney-ized version.

This is my favorite thus far. Just such a feel-good movie in all aspects. Love, love the animation and creativity on this one. And, Ponyo is so spontaneously sweet that it is so refreshing!

We've seen:

Porco Russo
Howl's Moving Castle
My Neighbor Totoro
Spirited Away
Kiki's Delivery Service
The Cat Returns
Ponyo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
claymore_57 wrote:
bulldog93 wrote:

Ham!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.