Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Professional creative visual communication: www.universalhead.com
badge
Game summaries and reference sheets: www.headlesshollow.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Descent, love my FFG games in general - but if there's one thing that always annoys me it's the companies penchant for huge square rulebooks. Can we lose this format from now on FFG? They're unwieldy to read and difficult to manage during a game - I know it keeps the page count down but I for one would like to see smaller rule/quest books, even if you need more pages or smaller text.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Coker
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second that. Descent already takes up enough table space without having drag out a huge rulebook on the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davide Banchini c/o SELED
Italy
Faenza
Ravenna
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Let's say, Memoir'44 rulebook size should be ok.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Universal Head
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At maximum, yeah. Not only are big square rulebooks too big to use during a game, but they are generally unwieldy and flop about all over the place because the pages are too wide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Dove
United States
Las Animas
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not seen the Descent rule book but I must say that I am VERY happy with the size of the Arkham Horror rule book. I like the larger size alot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Universal Head
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious - why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Coker
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished placing my entire copy of Descent into a Plano 7271 tackle box. Using the flip-top trays with the dividers sure beats the heck out of bagging the numerous counters. Now it's easier to transport and A LOT faster to set up a game.

Guess what single component of the game won't fit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Universal Head
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know what you mean. Quite apart from the difficult-to-hold-and-use problems of the large square books, I'm in the habit of lining my board game boxes with a black foamcore insert box (stops the box from sagging and damage and also divides up the bits). Since the books go right to the edges of the box in height, I had to shave some of the width of the books with a sharp blade to get them to fit.

Not that I'm suggesting lots of people go these extremes - but the point remains, they're too big!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that the rulebooks are a little too large to comfortably read or refer to during a game. We don't have enough table space for most FFG games, let alone that massive rulebook.

But they do really nice layouts with that larger page space, so it's a tradeoff.

I'd prefer a smaller rulebook with more pages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Letourneau
Canada
St-Lambert
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same here.

Christian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Moore
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Gotcha!
mbmbmbmbmb
IF you have a decent printer you could print the rules from the website (8.5" by 11"). This is what I typically do...although the pics are at a lower resolution than the actual rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brady
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bookseller wrote:
I just finished placing my entire copy of Descent into a Plano 7271 tackle box. Using the flip-top trays with the dividers sure beats the heck out of bagging the numerous counters. Now it's easier to transport and A LOT faster to set up a game.

you're a genius! I've thought of using those only for ASL lol...I got 3 empty one sitting around collecting dust. Well, add another project to my list tomorrow! I can't remember which ones I have, though...

damn..just checked their site...what you're using is a lot bigger than what I got. Still, I could get all of the counters in mine, which would still speed things up a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Coker
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
madDdog67 wrote:
Bookseller wrote:

you're a genius! I've thought of using those only for ASL lol...I got 3 empty one sitting around collecting dust. Well, add another project to my list tomorrow! I can't remember which ones I have, though...

damn..just checked their site...what you're using is a lot bigger than what I got. Still, I could get all of the counters in mine, which would still speed things up a bit.

Just having the counters in the divider trays makes a huge difference, even if you store the trays in the original box. I have one tray that holds all of the possible counters the OL uses as the map is revealed. I just keep that tray next to the map and pull from it as needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Universal Head
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
violentzen wrote:
Quote:
Can we lose this format from now on FFG?

Absolutely not! I love the oversized "album" style rulebooks.

The larger size gives the publisher room to make it full of colorful examples, big stylish fonts, and aesthetic touches. It feels hefty and substantial, which is good considering the price of the game.

If I have to study a game, or constantly refer to the rules(which I don't think I'm going to have to in the case of Descent, but it's the principle), I don't want to have to thumb through some boring, cheap, text-only pamphlet.

Scott, while I have the greatest respect for your right to express an opinion, I never suggested a boring, cheap, text only pamphlet. And I can certainly show you many, many examples of rulebooks 'full of colorful examples, big stylish fonts, and aesthetic touches' that aren't also so large-format. I'm referring to the fact that the rulebook is too large to wield at an already crowded table, takes up too much space in the box, and is difficult to handle in general because of the large square pages flopping about as you hold it.

Fixing these problems by reducing the size of the rulebook and making it portrait-format would not reduce the impact of the design - in fact, I would argue that not only would it be easy to read and store, but since it would be a few more pages, it would feel even more hefty and substantial.

But each to their own, I don't expect everyone to agree with me, I just thought I'd mention the defects of this format as I see them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Robins
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like big rule books too. Better production values in my opinion. Great thing about Fantasy Flight is that they give you the rules in PDF format. You can print those out on regular paper and then fold'em up however you want. I'm not sure, but I'd bet you can even print them smaller, or two pagers per sheet.

Now, if they ever get cheap like computer game companies and start giving you only the pdf, then I'll get mad... angry However, I doubt that would EVER fly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Browne
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i concur. I tried reading it in the car, too big.
I also tried reading it one hand - too big.
I also tried reading it while sitting in front of a small fan - too unwieldy.

I like the size of the rulebook in Betrayal at house on the hill. I know it's Avalon Hill.. but still..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Clarke
United Kingdom
St Albans
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in favour of smaller rulebooks too. They'd probably last longer, as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.