Joe C
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got a copy of this game and right away noticed there are a lot of rules and things to remember while playing. I also noticed there are tons of cheat sheets, dials, lists, etc. that people have created to assist in remembering all the rules while playing, or to help track stats, etc.

Which ones work best for you? I would like to be able to streamline the gameplay as much as possible using these tools so that I can keep from referring to the rule book every couple minutes. That tends to turn the game group off and I fear that because this game seems like it will be a lot of fun.

Thanks!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Hickey
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Universal Head reference is pretty helpful when first learning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a file of everything you need: cheat sheets, overlays, and more for everything Arkham by Universal Head in the files section. Just click browse, sort by hot, and it should be the top item.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just echoing the above posters - Universal Head all day...every day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I learned how to play this game due to Universal Heads rules summary. Much clearer than the actual rulebok.

jorune
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goody
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for the universal head sheets. The fact it has them for pretty much every combination of the game is pretty damn awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Lloyd
Norway
Stavanger
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Inquisitorgoody wrote:
+1 for the universal head sheets. The fact it has them for pretty much every combination of the game is pretty damn awesome.

+2.

L.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan DeLano
United States
West Valley City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Luge wrote:
Inquisitorgoody wrote:

+2.

L.

+3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stu Jones
United States
Clearfield
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
10 Universal Head = Universal Head + 1
20 Goto 10
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deekow wrote:
10 Universal Head = Universal Head + 1
20 Goto 10

Clever....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The other option is to do what my girlfriend and I did to learn AH.

We had a throwaway game where we just played to learn. We understood that we would probably lose, followed the rulebook's sequence of play and looked up every possible rules issue that came up. We knew when we went into it that it would probably take the whole evening, but when it was over, we were pretty savvy with how to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crusher Joe
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So far, we're using Universal Head's flowchart (faster than looking stuff up in the AH rulebooks--if I could dedicate a human sacrifice to the imimortality of this tool, I would), a set of the 8.5x11 playmats (laminated) and an occasional fan made AO or Herald. I'm looking forward to printing up a full fan made expansion one day.

Heck, I'm just looking forward to WINNING one day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Lloyd
Norway
Stavanger
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jackalope wrote:
The other option is to do what my girlfriend and I did to learn AH.

We had a throwaway game where we just played to learn. We understood that we would probably lose, followed the rulebook's sequence of play and looked up every possible rules issue that came up. We knew when we went into it that it would probably take the whole evening, but when it was over, we were pretty savvy with how to play.

Sure, you can do that. And I've played Arkham Horror enough that I do know the rules now. But when we play it after a 6-month hiatus, it's quite easy for the different phases to get confused. So we still use the UH sheets as a guide then.

L.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue 80
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sacrifice a day to play a couple of games solo with Universal Head aid so that you are able to respond to most situations without having to rule check. This really helps so that the other players are not put off by the inner workings of the game's machinery (the Curse of Arkham) but instead see the theme first. I like machinery, but the majority of the people I play games with don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goody
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Luge wrote:

Sure, you can do that. And I've played Arkham Horror enough that I do know the rules now. But when we play it after a 6-month hiatus, it's quite easy for the different phases to get confused. So we still use the UH sheets as a guide then.

L.

I'm playing on Saturday after about 4 months. There will be 8 of us 3 will be new to the game the others have played it once or twice before. I will have my Universal head sheet ready (it lives in the game box) as it really helps.

I can't praise that guy(s?) enough for his work on this and other games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William L
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely use Universal Head's tool. We have it handy at all time, even though we know the rules very well. Keep it in the game at all times.

After all, we could all use a little Head now and then. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe C
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jacky Blue Note wrote:
Sacrifice a day to play a couple of games solo with Universal Head aid so that you are able to respond to most situations without having to rule check. This really helps so that the other players are not put off by the inner workings of the game's machinery (the Curse of Arkham) but instead see the theme first. I like machinery, but the majority of the people I play games with don't.

Same here, the people I play with are sometimes turned off by complicated mechanics. It just as easily could be the fact that I'm always having to stop and dig in the rulebook, etc. I like it when I can run games smoothly. I think I will do this, I'll run a game or two solo before I introduce the game to the group. However, my girlfriend and I played a new game last night and she actually said the words "this game has an interesting mechanic". I just about fell out of my chair. So instead of solo I may run a game or two with her first that way she can help correct me as well. The Universal Head sheets have gotten a resounding response so I will be printing those ahead of time. Thanks everyone for the awesome suggestions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
spiralsoap wrote:

However, my girlfriend and I played a new game last night and she actually said the words "this game has an interesting mechanic". I just about fell out of my chair. So instead of solo I may run a game or two with her first that way she can help correct me as well.

Having a second person to ask questions and point out things that don't seem quite right can be a big help in getting the game to run smoothly and to make sure that you actually have the rules down properly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris mata
United States
moore
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
Just echoing the above posters - Universal Head all day...every day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.