Subject: 3-player Playability rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Baricz
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
So, I've had this game for a while now but yet I've only gotten it to the table once. While I thought the 4 player game was a blast some people I had played with thought the game had balance issues among the different gods.

Needless to say I now have a different 3 player group and I was wandering what your thoughts were on the 3 player experience.

I would love to start playing this more, but if it doesn't work well with three I might have to trade it for something else as it will never get played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gert Meyer
Denmark
Trekantsområdet
flag msg tools
badge
Skål - Cheers - Gom Bui - Prost - Almien - Salut - Kampai - Na Zdrowie - Gan Bae - Qapla
mbmbmbmbmb
Balance issues with 4-player is mainly a product of insufficient experience among the players. The different Gods have varying learning curves in my opinion, which I think is the main reason many new players feel that way.

I find the 3-player experience quite enjoyable, although it does not approach a 4-player game in awesomeness. But considering I rank 4P Chaos as the ultimate gaming experience, 3P is still pretty good for me.

You may wish to experiment with tweaking the game a bit. One thing I was considering was pre-ruining one of the outer regions (Norsca or the Badlands) and keeping the number of rounds equal to the 4P game.

Anyway, just try it out and see how it goes. You can always trade it away later if you find that it doesn't work for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would argue that one session of this is not nearly enough playtime to argue imbalance among the gods. They are asymmetric and perhaps have different learning curves, but you can check the statistics on the god wins if you like in the forum. Khorne will have the advantage, I would argue, among new players.

Trade it away? Heresy! I'll be honest and say that I would play a different game if I didn't have four people able to play. You want those regions crowded and all four different players messing up each other's plans in evil ways. Still, if only for the days when you can bring a fourth player in, I'd hold onto this classic. I think one day you'd regret losing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
What kind of person writes off a game as imbalanced after hour and half with it? Wow, sorry for the jab, but wow.

I don't recommend the game for three, it's clearly designed for four players in mind and it suffers a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Disgustipater
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't like it with 3-players. There are too many open areas which allow players to do their own thing unmolested, and allows people to run away from Khorne way too easily, since they can avoid running into other players in the process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played enough 3 player to say, especially since 3 player results in more configuration options -- but I think I had some really enjoyable ones that left Khorne out, although that was with the expansion. I usually only play with 4-5 players.

Just give it a try and decide for yourself, since you already own the game. If it doesn't work for you, then you can trade it away!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Vollick
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the 3 player version of CitOW. With each particular God missing the game changes quite a bit. That being said 4 player is probably the best version but it's still great with 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gert Meyer
Denmark
Trekantsområdet
flag msg tools
badge
Skål - Cheers - Gom Bui - Prost - Almien - Salut - Kampai - Na Zdrowie - Gan Bae - Qapla
mbmbmbmbmb
Vollick1979 wrote:
I love the 3 player version of CitOW. With each particular God missing the game changes quite a bit.

Good point. With the Gods being as asymmetrical as they are, the 3P game actually offers a great variety of gameplay experiences. A game without Khorne is vastly different than any other game of CitOW you've ever played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Skellett
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
A wolf and a penguin could never live together, nor could a camel and a hippopotamus. That would be absurd.
badge
And the older you get, the fewer things you really love. And by the time you get to my age, maybe it's only one or two things. With me, I think it's one.
mbmbmbmbmb
With 3 players, we use the Auto-Khorne variant here: Khorne Autoplayer - 3 Player Chaos that Works !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Baricz
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I never wrote off the game as imbalanced. I was just stating that the first time I played, 1 player in particular thought the game was imbalanced and it has not been played since though that's attributed to not having enough players. As I usually game with 2 or 3 only, was just curious as to the playability of 3 players.

As for trading it away, I would not like to do so but if the 3 player experience is not worthy I would consider it. I don't get many chances of being able to play it, it would just sit on the shelf not getting played. I suppose I could keep it for those occasions I have four but I think I will try it with three anyways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Baricz
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Thanks for the replies! I'll let you guy know how it goes. Maybe after enough plays of it, I'll write a 3 player review of it.

Happy Gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gert Meyer
Denmark
Trekantsområdet
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aleitas wrote:
Thanks for the replies! I'll let you guy know how it goes. Maybe after enough plays of it, I'll write a 3 player review of it.

Happy Gaming!

Cool! You already have the game, so you're not really going to lose anything much by trying.

If you ever decide to try out my suggestion, let me know how it goes. I'm quite curious myself as it was just a random idea

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
General_Norris wrote:
What kind of person writes off a game as imbalanced after hour and half with it?

My guess is the kind of person who's looking for a much lighter game.

There is no shortage of previous threads discussing balance:

Win stats of 80 games with 4 players
Accumulating statistics - how many wins for each Chaos Power?
Accumulating Statistics - How Many Wins For Each Chaos Power? (Part II)
After 23 valid games
What god wins the most/least in your gaming group?
So does Khorne always win ?
3 games in (quick thought on balance)
What was the unbalance issue?
Which God Is Winning Your Games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gert74 wrote:
One thing I was considering was pre-ruining one of the outer regions (Norsca or the Badlands) and keeping the number of rounds equal to the 4P game.

I just had a similar idea after seeing the below pic, the owner uses black felt to cover some areas of the Metropolys board for 2 & 3 player games. Doing something like that for CitOW might tighten up the 3 player game nicely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
salem .
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
game of thrones similarly blocks off some regions in games where you don't have the full number of players. the rulebook's regions are often thought to not be optimal choices, so some people block off different ones instead. but the idea is the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gert Meyer
Denmark
Trekantsområdet
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Besides tightening up the board, the second part of the idea was to shorten the game to the usual 7 Old World cards from the 4P game and also end it after 4 Ruinations. So you'd take out the lowest paying Ruination, basically. I think this is better for a 3P with Khorne. Less sure for a 3P without Khorne.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue 80
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a beginner the 3-players is fine, and can be a lot of fun. It's later on that you will find the 3-player experience frustrating. So play it now! 3-Players can also be a good way of indoctrinating new players into the game as a learning game so that there isn't quite so much to take in.

As I've said in another forum I played a 3-player game with Khorne, Tzeentch and the (unfairly maligned) Horned Rat using the Morrslieb decks and it was a hoot.

As is said above, the sweet spot may be 4 at which point the game excels, but it's still a good game with 3, and can be amazing also with 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.