Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
31 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Android: Netrunner» Forums » Strategy

Subject: [Deck] Shaper deck built around Cyberfeeder +Medium +Maker's Eye: Viable? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Warren Denning
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone try building a Shaper deck around Cyberfeeder +Medium +Maker’s Eye? In addition to building a strong Shaper rig, I thought it would be an interesting idea to build a second strategy around digging deep into R&D for agendas. Given that Cyberfeeder can also pay for the installation of viruses I added in Crypsis as well.

And recently this strategy might have more viability with the release of Deep Thought, a Shaper virus, from new Future Proof data pack.

Related question: Or is the Runner’s only and best strategy to simply build the best rig and only run remotes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Shaper deck built around Cyberfeeder +Medium +Maker's Eye: Viable?
Easier to make a Noise deck and bring in Maker's Eye. Then every virus you play kills a card from R&D (useful if you happen to know it's ice that you can't trash). Plus you get Imp too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Denning
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I originally thought about that but I like the Shaper's breakers better than Anarch's as its still important to have a nice rig. Magnum Opus is a great way to accomplish that economically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Shvarts
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist.
badge
Someone must have been telling lies about Joseph K., for without having done anything wrong he was arrested one fine morning.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is fun and profitable in a Noise deck
My high score was a maker's eye run with two mediums at 4 counters at end of run so I saw 9 cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is interesting.

Everybody builds the Anarch version of this deck, and it's pretty good.

But I think a Shaper version could work. Medium's not actually all that good in the Noise version, as you only ever have the money for one good run against a well-built server. But it would give a ton of inevitability to Kate's endgame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Parkes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bioball wrote:
Anyone try building a Shaper deck around Cyberfeeder + Medium + Maker’s Eye? In addition to building a strong Shaper rig, I thought it would be an interesting idea to build a second strategy around digging deep into R&D for agendas. Given that Cyberfeeder can also pay for the installation of viruses I added in Crypsis as well.

The challenge you face with this build is limited influence.
3 x Medium = 9 influence
3 x Cyberfeeder = 3 influence

That only leaves you with 3 influence, which means you can't run multiple copies of Ninja; your rig will be stuck with Pipeline for breaking sentries. Also, you can't run multiple copies of Special Order, it'll take you longer to assemble your rig. It's a big sacrifice to make just to run Medium out of Shaper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Aubuchon
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brisingre wrote:
Medium's not actually all that good in the Noise version

Medium is an incredible card--period, end of sentence.

I think it's more fair to say that it's not great when your deck is so single-minded that all you do is run R&D, and even then it's good in multiples, which are very attainable thanks to Djinn.

If it's money that's holding you back from crashing R&D more than once a turn, that's a deckbuilding issue, not something inherent to Noise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott C
United States
Troy
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bioball wrote:
Anyone try building a Shaper deck around Cyberfeeder +Medium +Maker’s Eye? In addition to building a strong Shaper rig, I thought it would be an interesting idea to build a second strategy around digging deep into R&D for agendas. Given that Cyberfeeder can also pay for the installation of viruses I added in Crypsis as well.

This was essentially the first Runner deck I ever made. It was good, and fun.

You might consider running Djinn instead of Mem Chips, as they'd let you search for your Mediums. If you're running Shaper breakers, your influence probably isn't necessarily too tight to permit it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Denning
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldil wrote:
Also, you can't run multiple copies of Special Order, it'll take you longer to assemble your rig. It's a big sacrifice to make just to run Medium out of Shaper.

Wouldn't Test Run remove some of the Shaper's need to rely on Special Order?

I do agree with you that influence IS tight, but I'm hoping with a larger card pool that alternative strategies for the runner with open up other than just build the best rig with X,Y,Z breakers.

Or maybe I am wrong, maybe the best way to win the game is to drive toward "the perfect rig".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Scientist Philip von Doomula
United States
Orono
ME
flag msg tools
"I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar."
badge
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are wooden cubes from boardgaming. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldil wrote:
bioball wrote:
Anyone try building a Shaper deck around Cyberfeeder + Medium + Maker’s Eye? In addition to building a strong Shaper rig, I thought it would be an interesting idea to build a second strategy around digging deep into R&D for agendas. Given that Cyberfeeder can also pay for the installation of viruses I added in Crypsis as well.

The challenge you face with this build is limited influence.
3 x Medium = 9 influence
3 x Cyberfeeder = 3 influence

That only leaves you with 3 influence, which means you can't run multiple copies of Ninja; your rig will be stuck with Pipeline for breaking sentries. Also, you can't run multiple copies of Special Order, it'll take you longer to assemble your rig. It's a big sacrifice to make just to run Medium out of Shaper.

Test Run is right around the corner and it lets you search for both medium and ninja.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Adecla
United States
New York
flag msg tools
When Test Run comes out, all you need is one Medium.

Kate doesn't need to spam and choke her rig with Mediums. She can just develop her ridiculous rig with Magnum Opus and 3 Icebreakers, then tack on one Medium seeing as she can get into any server she wants after a time. Cyberfeeders and Toolbox/Spinal Modem will be what she wants, but 3 Mediums aren't necessary. You'll be going anywhere you want, and also force the Corp to deal with a beefed up Medium that just keeps digging further and further into R&D.

Corp might as well flip the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Parkes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bioball wrote:

Absolutely; everything I wrote was based on the current card pool (which, as noted, is about to change--I had forgotten how close Test Tun was).

Then hell yeah, this should be fun.

1 copy of Ninja (2 influence)
3 copies of Medium (9 influence)
1 copy of Djinn (2 influence)
2 copies of Cyberfeeder (2 influence)

Or something like that. It would certainly strike terror in my corp heart.

(and sure, you don't NEED to run Medium x3. But it sure sounds like fun.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Medium is, imo, one of the strongest cards in a Shaper deck. Its really good, and combines well with your Maker's eyes.

Cyberfeeder is good but not critical. You could use it or use the influence on something else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth M
msg tools
mbmb
Alexfrog wrote:
Medium is, imo, one of the strongest cards in a Shaper deck. Its really good, and combines well with your Maker's eyes.

Cyberfeeder is good but not critical. You could use it or use the influence on something else.

For the influence Cyberfeeders are astonishingly good for Kate: 1 credit for a recurring credit and you can chuck it into Aesop's if you need more burst on the last run of the game? Yes please!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Denning
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexfrog wrote:

A friend suggested Grimoires instead of Cyberfeeders. Then a Test Run with Crypsis will provide tokens for two ICE if you are willing to trash Crypsis at the end. This might be a good combo for Medium + Maker's Eye.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldil wrote:
bioball wrote:

Absolutely; everything I wrote was based on the current card pool (which, as noted, is about to change--I had forgotten how close Test Tun was).

Then hell yeah, this should be fun.

1 copy of Ninja (2 influence)
3 copies of Medium (9 influence)
1 copy of Djinn (2 influence)
2 copies of Cyberfeeder (2 influence)

Or something like that. It would certainly strike terror in my corp heart.

(and sure, you don't NEED to run Medium x3. But it sure sounds like fun.)

Test run, yes, is going to be amazing. But I'd try find room for sneakdoor

And I wait heartily for the day someone runs into snare + fetal ai in any combination

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My influence breakdown would be:

3x Special Order (6 inf)
1x Ninja (2 inf)
1x Corroder (2 inf)
2x Medium (4 inf)
1x Stimhack or 1x Cyberfeeder (1 inf)

Medium's good, but I don't think you want to go too far off your Special Order plan for it, and I don't think Cyberfeeder's particularly incredible. It's efficient, but it's not that important.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brisingre wrote:
My influence breakdown would be:

3x Special Order (6 inf)
1x Ninja (2 inf)
1x Corroder (2 inf)
2x Medium (4 inf)
1x Stimhack or 1x Cyberfeeder (1 inf)

Medium's good, but I don't think you want to go too far off your Special Order plan for it, and I don't think Cyberfeeder's particularly incredible. It's efficient, but it's not that important.

Wait, you wanna run test runs AND special orders? I guess that'll make it super consistent and you can stop drawing by turn 4 or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was building without Cyber Exodus.

Cyber Exodus I might lose Special Order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MD Chis
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Yes, the deck can work. I run a Shaper Medium deck that performs very consistently and I always feel like I have a chance in every game. I also came in second in a 16 player tourney with it and an NBN deck. This deck lost 2 of 5 games, 1 of which was me just gambling because I had already won the match. Here's my list, tweak it a little and you should have similar success.

Icebreakers:
3 Pipeline
3 Crypsis
3 Gordian Blade
3 Battering Ram

Programs:
3 Magnum Opus
3 Medium

Hardware:
3 Toolbox
2 Dyson Mem Chip
3 Akametsu Mem Chip

Events:
3 Easy Mark
1 Inside Job
3 Sure Gamble
3 Modded
3 Diesel
3 Infiltration

Resources:
3 Armitage Codebusting

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mdc273 wrote:
Yes, the deck can work. I run a Shaper Medium deck that performs very consistently and I always feel like I have a chance in every game. I also came in second in a 16 player tourney with it and an NBN deck. This deck lost 2 of 5 games, 1 of which was me just gambling because I had already won the match. Here's my list, tweak it a little and you should have similar success.

Icebreakers:
3 Pipeline
3 Crypsis
3 Gordian Blade
3 Battering Ram

Programs:
3 Magnum Opus
3 Medium

Hardware:
3 Toolbox
2 Dyson Mem Chip
3 Akametsu Mem Chip

Events:
3 Easy Mark
1 Inside Job
3 Sure Gamble
3 Modded
3 Diesel
3 Infiltration

Resources:
3 Armitage Codebusting

That seems... odd. Where's Maker's Eye? And why are you running 5! mem chips?

I'd lose the Akametsu mem chips for Rabbit Holes and probably lose something like 2 Crypsis and one Pipeline for Maker's Eye. I don't like Easy Mark OOF so I'd probably lose three of those for an Inside Job and maybe you can bring back your mem chips if you really want them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Denning
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mdc273 wrote:

Icebreakers:
3 Pipeline
3 Crypsis
3 Gordian Blade
3 Battering Ram

Programs:
3 Magnum Opus
3 Medium

Hardware:
3 Toolbox
2 Dyson Mem Chip
3 Akametsu Mem Chip

Events:
3 Easy Mark
1 Inside Job
3 Sure Gamble
3 Modded
3 Diesel
3 Infiltration

Resources:
3 Armitage Codebusting

This is pretty close to what I was thinking, but with Test Run, I'd lose most of the Criminal cards and replace with Maker's Eye & Grimoires. I think also change up the breaker ratio to include two of the Shaper's in-faction breakers while either leaning on Crypsis or adding one of some of the Criminal breakers.

I think Djinn might be a good addition to cycle in when the Shaper virus comes out as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FileAccess wrote:
InfoCynic wrote:
And why are you running 5! mem chips?

Because he really needs the memory:

Pipeline (1 MU)
Crypsis (1 MU)
Gordian Blade (1 MU)
Battering Ram (2 MU)
Magnum Opus (2 MU)
Medium(s) (1-3 MU)

Total: 8-10 MU

That's a Toolbox plus a few mem chips, so if he's going to reliably draw 2-4 mem chips in a game then he needs more than three of them in his deck.

So bring in Zuul instead of Gordian Blade, and give up either Pipeline or Crypsis... you have good Code Gate and Barrier breakers, so Crypsis is only breaking sentries, and Pipeline is just meh. Could also use Snowball instead of Battering Ram.

I think that a deck that requires that so much memory and therefore so many pieces is going to be very fragile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fair enough. But if the OP is still reading, I would seriously consider reducing the memory requirements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Scientist Philip von Doomula
United States
Orono
ME
flag msg tools
"I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar."
badge
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are wooden cubes from boardgaming. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is my take on the deck idea:

Identity:
Kate "Mac" McCaffrey: Digital Tinker (Core)

Total Cards: (45)

Event: (16)
Stimhack (Core) x1 *
Infiltration (Core) x3
Sure Gamble (Core) x3
The Maker's Eye (Core) x3
Diesel (Core) x3
Modded (Core) x3

Hardware: (8)
Rabbit Hole (Core) x2
The Personal Touch (Core) x2
The Toolbox (Core) x2
Akamatsu Mem Chip (Core) x2

Program: (17)
Datasucker (Core) x1 *
Djinn (Core) x3 ******
Medium (Core) x1 ***
Ninja (Core) x2 ****
Battering Ram (Core) x3
Gordian Blade (Core) x3
Magnum Opus (Core) x3
Crypsis (Core) x1

Resource: (4)
Armitage Codebusting (Core) x3
Aesop's Pawnshop (Core) x1

Influence Values Totals -
Anarch: 11
Criminal: 4
Shaper: 53

Essentially Djinn can be used to tutor for medium, data sucker and Crypsis if needed and it can host that Magnum Opus memory hog.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.