GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,433 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
21 Posts

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Strategy and Tactics question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Don Weed
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been collecting S&Ts for a few months now and I noticed something odd. It could be that I'm a relative neophyte at this but the stretch of issues from around #200 to #220 seems to command a premium and are harder to find. Was this due to low circulation? Superior games that no one wants to get rid of? Anyone know the reason? Am I hallucinating?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
That`s a good question, though I don`t see too many of those games as being in high demand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rod humble

san francisco
Earth
msg tools
badge
I feel quite good about what happened
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I dont see any reason why. Group of Soviet Forces Germany seems a decent remake game and Belisarius seems well received but I havent punched either yet.

But beyond those not so much. Is there is a particular one you are looking for?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Weed
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a geeklist that I keep updated as a kind of want list (see the header). http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/145468/a-fools-quest-of-so...

I'm only collecing the ones with games (#18 and on) for now. If anyone could help out that would be wonderful. I'd pay current market value for any that I need.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JOSEPH BORNSTEIN
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right about this, and I'd extend it back to the issues starting in the 170's or so. After a period of really dreary and dreadful games, there seemed to be an imporvment in graphics, game quality, etc.

edit: Looking back at the list, it actually looks like it picked up in the 150's; there are some really good and expensive S&T's in this era, they often go for much, much more than the mid-70's SPI offerings.

The real whopper in the 200's seems to be the Invasion of Taiwan issue; I was able to pick that one up on Consimworld for $20; the guy selling it said to me "you're first, wow I have a ton of ofers for this one"!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Weed
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been very impressed with Decision games in general over the past year or so. The graphics have improved, the delivery of the magazines have been at or ahead of schedule, all three mags are now perfect bound and the magazine articles have been solid. That's why I started collecting them. It's fun to see the development over time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Halfway between Castro and Mickey Mouse
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I had no idea. I've been collecting S&T off and on since the '70s, but the one time I actually subscribed was for issues 200-217.

I remember reading the Taipei issue on a trip to Hong Kong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
Well, I`ve reflected on your question a little bit and I`ve reached a conclusion. Or is it an assumption? Or maybe it`s a theory...

Magazine games are funny ducks and while many of them are very good I think they get admired for a time and then placed back into their envelope and then placed carefully in storage.

I`ve watched eBay more than I care to admit in these last months and I`ve seen a number of occasions where a person dies and a slew of back issues of S&T will come on the market.

My point, I guess, is that there are a lot of folks who are collecting magazine games--maybe even indifferently--but they are loath to give them up. The new games that come on the market keep them busy enough and they keep saying, about their stockpile, "One day I`ll play that one..."

I can`t think of a single one of my games I would want to give up, even though I`ll never play them (unless I live to 120.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Weed
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kluvon wrote:
I`ve watched eBay more than I care to admit in these last months and I`ve seen a number of occasions where a person dies and a slew of back issues of S&T will come on the market.

My point, I guess, is that there are a lot of folks who are collecting magazine games--maybe even indifferently--but they are loath to give them up. The new games that come on the market keep them busy enough and they keep saying, about their stockpile, "One day I`ll play that one..."

I can`t think of a single one of my games I would want to give up, even though I`ll never play them (unless I live to 120.)

I must admit that I'm one of those too. Just this weekend I won three six-issue auctions in this range. The highest went for around $160 or about $26 apiece. A real deal when the resellers are asking $50+ for these same individual issues. That is what makes me wonder what is so attractive about this era. Most auctions top out at the $10-$15 cost per issue.

Also, when issue #300 rolls around, stock up. I'm seeing asking prices for issues 200 and 250 of over $100. There seems to be a mystique with the '50' multiples. Game speculation anyone?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Cooper
United States
Syracuse
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a period between 150 to 200 where the magazine reduced the amount of each printing, especially, in 170 period. I'm not sure what the deal was but these magazines have ended up being highly sought after, with the beginning of a renaissance in the wargaming community. It was also after a period of upheaval had ended both for S&T and wargaming, in general. The magazine changed hands several times before Doc Cummings grabbed it along with Miranda and saved it from extinction and made it the magazine it is today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rod humble

san francisco
Earth
msg tools
badge
I feel quite good about what happened
mbmbmbmbmb
statman8 wrote:
I've been very impressed with Decision games in general over the past year or so. The graphics have improved, the delivery of the magazines have been at or ahead of schedule, all three mags are now perfect bound and the magazine articles have been solid. That's why I started collecting them. It's fun to see the development over time.

I agree with this. I have definitely noticed an uptick as well. Somali Pirates in particular was a highlight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfram Troeder
Germany
Bruchkoebel
Hessen
flag msg tools
Boardgaming is not a matter of life or death...
badge
...it's much more important than that!
mbmbmbmbmb
You know Strategy is what wins you the war and Tactics wins you a battle...
Oh, no it is not about this but a magazine collecting question.

Nice job creating clicks. Would have been nice to use a unambiguous title.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Weed
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wolfram wrote:
You know Strategy is what wins you the war and Tactics wins you a battle...
Oh, no it is not about this but a magazine collecting question.

Nice job creating clicks. Would have been nice to use a unambiguous title.

TROLL ALERT. I've been noticing this kind of thing lately. Someone pipes in with nothing to add to a conversation except dropping a smart@$$, disparaging remark.

I don't think that I solicited any 'clicks' and I was asking a serious question. Sorry it doesn't meet your or M St's standards. Should we run everything through you for your approval?

To everyone who replied seriously, thank you. I appreciated it and have given thumbs for the replies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfram Troeder
Germany
Bruchkoebel
Hessen
flag msg tools
Boardgaming is not a matter of life or death...
badge
...it's much more important than that!
mbmbmbmbmb
statman8 wrote:
TROLL ALERT. I've been noticing this kind of thing lately. Someone pipes in with nothing to add to a conversation except dropping a smart@$$, disparaging remark.

Oh please.

You started a thread with an ambiguous title.
"Strategy and Tactics question" could be about the magazine or a discussion about Strategy and Tactics.

"Strategy and Tactics magazine question" would have been clear.

I followed the title and got something I was not expecting and was friendly enough to leave a remark. Just that the title of future threads is perhaps more conclusive.
If that makes me a smartass (Spam spelling is for.. no will not go this way), so be it.
It was far from disparaging and surely not trolling.

I assumed and experienced sofar in this community a sense of goodwill, of ask first, shoot later mindset. You set a bad example here. That makes me a little sad.

Will leave now this thread. Anyone commenting or discussing this is welcome to write a GM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Halfway between Castro and Mickey Mouse
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, Wolfram, I thought you were kidding. "Strategy and Tactics" is well-known to the vast majority of wargamers as the name of a magazine.

At any rate, it's OK to suggest a less ambiguous thread title, but the "creating clicks" comment was out of line. It questioned the OP's motives, and could easily be construed as disparaging or smartass. If you hadn't tacked that on, I don't think you would've been accused of trolling.

I notice that you are not in a native English-speaking country, so I think we can just chalk this up to a simple miscommunication and move on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Weed
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wolfram wrote:

I assumed and experienced sofar in this community a sense of goodwill, of ask first, shoot later mindset. You set a bad example here. That makes me a little sad.

Then sir, I suggest you take your own suggestion. You have surely spent much more time on this then you intended and posted superfluous comments to the body of the letter. Save everyone the time.

Have a good day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
Many times I sit here quietly and chant the mantra: Water off a duck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Osprey
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Errg...Argh..
mbmbmbmbmb
Wolfram wrote:
statman8 wrote:

Oh please.

You started a thread with an ambiguous title.
"Strategy and Tactics question" could be about the magazine or a discussion about Strategy and Tactics.

"Strategy and Tactics magazine question" would have been clear.

I followed the title and got something I was not expecting and was friendly enough to leave a remark. Just that the title of future threads is perhaps more conclusive.
If that makes me a smartass (Spam spelling is for.. no will not go this way), so be it.
It was far from disparaging and surely not trolling.

Will leave now this thread. Anyone commenting or discussing this is welcome to write a GM.

Actually Wolfram, everyone got together a few days ago and planned this whole thing out knowing that you would spot the error in the thread and click on it. As you can see, our little diabolical plan worked like a charm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JOSEPH BORNSTEIN
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slow day in Germany? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Weed
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Osprey wrote:

Actually Wolfram, everyone got together a few days ago and planned this whole thing out knowing that you would spot the error in the thread and click on it. As you can see, our little diabolical plan worked like a charm.

Wade, you promised not to tell! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Wallace
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DJ Kuul A wrote:
"Strategy and Tactics" is well-known to the vast majority of wargamers as the name of a magazine.

Poking around his collection and postings thus far, he's not the most experienced wargamer...everybody's gotta start somewhere, of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.