Subject: Cheat Sheet for rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Halas
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed a long time ago that while playing LNoE, many players had difficulties keeping track of the rules. Heck, even I had problems after collecting so many expansions. Teaching the game became a bit cumbersome when you had 3-4 major rulebooks spanning various aspects of gameplay, including rules that only affect specific scenarios.

I loved the game so much, that I eventually sat down and compiled together ALL the rules from ALL the expansions (except Radioactive Zombies, since I never did get that one). I ended up with a set of 3 pages in the following format:

PAGE 1
Turn order for Zombies and Heroes, along with basic rule clarifications for what can be done during your turn, and in what order.

PAGE 2
Additional rules that are constantly in play, such as how Fire works, the Experience system, etc. Also includes errata.

PAGE 3
Most often used scenario-specific rules and/or complex rules that could use a more streamline listing (aka - Barricades). The bottom of the page lists EVERY possible scenario-specific rule not already covered, along with which rulebook the instructions can be found.

It took me quite a bit of time to compile this information, and involved quite a bit of cross-referencing, and FAQ checking. I would LOVE to be able to post it up for others to use, but I've noticed a potential problem.

I cannot find any of the rulebooks online aside from the Base Game's rules. I'm pretty sure this was intentionally done by Flying Frog, since a number of the expansions are sold for their extended rules alone. I don't want to tread on the company's decisions...

Opinions? Thoughts? Maybe even confirmation that I'm allowed to upload this for others?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this an intellectual property question?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Halas
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drmark64 wrote:
Is this an intellectual property question?

Not that I'm aware of... I wouldn't claim to have intellectual property over having just streamlined the rules over several expansions. The summary, itself, is just a simplified outline spanning 3 pages. One of the pages even has a section detailing which rulebook to refer to for certain scenario-specific rules (such as how to handle Townsfolk tokens).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it is a technical question, then I would suggest taking your work, packaging it into a pdf and uploading it to the 'files' section of this forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Halas
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drmark64 wrote:
If it is a technical question, then I would suggest taking your work, packaging it into a pdf and uploading it to the 'files' section of this forum.

Ummm... no, it's not a technical question, either. It's already in PDF format.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not sure then, what you are asking. Maybe somebody else will come along.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Halas
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just updated my question, in hopes that it clarifies any possible confusion. I think this would be more in the realm of copyright infringement, or intellectual property ownership. My basic question is, I would like to post the PDF for others to use, but I don't know if I would be stepping on Flying Frog's toes. My guess is that I would, but I thought I would ask just in case I may be wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bet you would be OK to upload it. If you are just summarizing key points that is usually acceptable. You probably won't be putting anything out that can't be found at...

http://flyingfrogwiki.com/ffpwiki/index.php?title=Main_Page
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Moore
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Gotcha!
mbmbmbmbmb
People post these kinds of things all the time! There's even things like this for LNOE (though you may have a different take/organization/information scope). So go for it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
People on BGG are way too fearful of this sort of thing as a rule. Game companies aren't going to sue you if you are helping other people better enjoy their game while not making a penny doing so...especially if you don't use their art or assets (and even if you do, they're not going to sue unless there is cash entering your hands). It would be absolutely insane to do so...."No, we don't want people to enjoy our product by having an easier time playing it. And we don't want any sort of online community to discuss our games and give us free word of mouth promotion. No sir."

If you've got something, post it. If it becomes the greatest thing ever and you start selling it for profit, then you can expect a sternly worded letter from someone somewhere I'm sure. So don't do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Halas
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I posted it a few days ago, for anyone interested:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/87273/last-night-on-ea...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McGuire
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just printed it out and looked over it. Very awesome, but I found one mistake (which is not surprising considering the terrible wording in the rules about this):

Your sheet, in reference to spawning Grave Weapons on zombies says "Grave Weapons may be assigned to any zombie, but NOT in the same or adjacent space as a Hero, and NOT on a spawning pit."

The NOT on a spawning pit is incorrect. The actual rule is that Grave Weapons can always be assigned a zombie that is on a spawning pit, regardless of how close a Hero is.

Here's the quote from a post replied to by Jason Hill:

Quote:
Quote:
I'm pretty sure the rule is trying to say to choose either:

1. "Any Zombie on the board that is NOT in the same or adjacent space as a Hero "

or

2. "(ANY Zombie on a Spawning Pit)" 

The ANY here implies that this would mean regardless of a Hero being in the same or adjacent space. -Rob

Rob is correct. 

The intent is that you CAN place a Grave Weapon onto any Zombie that is on a Spawning Pit, regardless of the proximity of a Hero.

- Jason

Jason C. Hill
Flying Frog Productions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Halas
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow... That IS a badly worded ruling! I went over the Grave Weapons multiple times, and never caught the true meaning behind that. Thanks! I've already submitted a corrected "Version 1.1" to the admins (I could have named it "Version 2," but "1.1" just seemed like more fun).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.