GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,368 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you HAVE to remove monsters to add monsters (I've read a lot of people mention that).

I want to add the Kobold Dragonshields from WoA as well as the Cultists (worshipers of the Vampires!) to Castle Ravenloft but I don't really want to remove any monsters.

Is adding 6 new cards to the monster deck really going to throw anything off?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SanguinousRex wrote:
Do you HAVE to remove monsters to add monsters (I've read a lot of people mention that).

I want to add the Kobold Dragonshields from WoA as well as the Cultists (worshipers of the Vampires!) to Castle Ravenloft but I don't really want to remove any monsters.

Is adding 6 new cards to the monster deck really going to throw anything off?

Do we HAVE to? I would say not. I am not aware of any official comment on this - but there may be. I have mixed up many of the monsters/heros/cards in the series of three. Now, having said that, there are some combinations that may make it rather hard to win. A good place to check on this type of stuff may be the variant forums of the three games.

-SK

EDIT: If I were you, I would just throw in the six extra monsters and see what happens!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just do it, try a few sessions, then come back here and tell us how it went I don't see how those cards would cause any problems, but trying it would be the best way to find out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Whitaker
United Kingdom
Stockton-on-Tees
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We just added all of the Dungeon Command monsters from Tyranny of Goblins and Curse of Undeath into the stack, we drew the Feral Troll and the Bugbear Berserker on the first turn, who both took down our Wizard (3pts + 3pts damage). Oh how the rest of us laughed...

So for us, it just make the game even more fun... oh, we survived the adventure btw...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would "customize" the deck to match the theme of the quest, and who cares about the 'count'. There's a very minor balance issue with the monster count (since you cannot have more than one of that type), but it's minor.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Miller
United States
Stigler
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The primary effects on balance are changing the XP distribution, and reducing the likelihood of duplicates. The first one is self-correcting to an extent because lower level monsters means fewer cancelled encounters/levelups. The second is pretty minor if you're only adding two monsters. It's especially minor if you're adding the Kobold Dragonshield, which summons other monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lorien4 lorien4
Greece
Asprovalta
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I added in Ashardalon Tyranny of Goblins and I removed Cultists, Snakes and the Aberrants. Result: the games I played were far too easy and that is, because the goblins have no condition effects (Dazed, Poisoned), which can make the difference. Then, I played with the original monsters and bam! WoA was the old, hard gamedevil.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joonas Heikkilä
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that mixing monsters to CR or WoA doesn't affect the game too much because you get 3 of most of the monsters and they don't have too much special rules, but if you want to add to LoD then you are affecting the game, because some monsters then come less often and have special rules, as trolls (only 2 in game), drider (1), goblin champion (1).

By adding monsters to LoD without taking some out you are making game little easier.

In fact I almost always add monsters to WoA 'cause I personally like that sentries come less often, it leaves more exploring to players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hexebomba wrote:
In fact I almost always add monsters to WoA 'cause I personally like that sentries come less often, it leaves more exploring to players.

Players still have to explore the same amount because sentry drawn tiles come from the bottom of the tile stack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orlando Neto
Brazil
Rio das Ostras
Rio de Janeiro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I aways use the 3 games monsters in the same deck. no problems with theme or whatever. They are great mixed. Imagine some wraths and a troll in the end of the corridor. I treat the villains as combining powers to defeat the heroes.
I like to make custom dungeons starting with woa tiles, passing to Cr tiles and ending at LoD tiles. This makes the game more diabloish and you feel you are going down the dungeon. . .devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.