Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Exchange of Ideas Clarifications rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
El Gordino
Canada
flag msg tools
I have two questions surrounding the exchange of ideas culture card:

1. If I use exchange of ideas to take the tech card which provides the current form of government to my opponent, do they immediately fall into anarchy? (They could then pick another form of government next turn...?)

2. What happens to the coins on a tech card when you take that tech card with exchange of ideas? For example, let's say that my opponent has 2 coins on Code of Laws, and then I take Code of Laws via the Exchange of Ideas culture card. What happens to those coins? Do the coins stay on the card and I keep them? Do the coins disappear? Does my opponent somehow retain the coins?

Thanks for the clarifications...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Watne
United States
Burlington
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Good times.
mbmbmbmbmb
When you play Exchange of Ideas, you choose one tech that your opponent already knows and learn that tech FROM YOUR OWN TECH DECK. You don't steal the technology from them. So after you play the tech, you will both know that tech. The same is true for the tech that your opponent learns from you.

Therefore
1) No. If you or your opponent learn a technology from each other that grants a government, you resolve government changes as normal. That is, you (or they) may freely switch to the new government at the start of the next turn, or may convert to it at any time in the future after a turn of Anarchy. Exchange of Ideas has no mandatory effect on either player's government.

2) Irrelevant. Both you and your opponent will keep the tech that the other player learns, and it will be unaffected. The player that just learned the tech receives it from their own deck, and it comes into play with zero coins until you earn them in the normal way.

Hope that helps. Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin B
United States
flag msg tools
Stats not guaranteed accurate. May be made up entirely.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the confusion is arising from the title of the card.

You do not literally "exchange" technologies. You each pick one technology that you can fit in your tech pyramid that the other player has already researched. You research this tech for free. Once a technology is researched, there is no way to remove the technology from that player's tech pyramid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah, it's exchange of ideas, not exchange of technologies
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.