Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ottawa Ronin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like they finished it off with Shards of the Throne and then "Rex" but if anyone has heard rumours of new content or fantasy flight's official nail in the coffin statement, I would love to know.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shards came out two years ago, and Rex only last year. TI isn't dead, and while I would expect new content set in the TI universe, it's going to be a couple years at least before another x-pac to the main game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Simone [The Quasi Geek Dad]
United States
Redmond
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How long ago was the latest mag-blast? Would love to have a reprint of that again. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Halbower
United States
Muskegon
Michigan
flag msg tools
Not Oswald!!!
badge
Vic Mackey
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG has stated that Twilight Imperium is still its flagship game. I'm hopeful that an additional expansion is underway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, i would think that there won't be a third expansion.

There's going to be a Twilight Imperium 4 however. That's a given.
Smaller and deeper box, like RuneWars revised/Descent 2/Gears of War... Slightly lower MSRP.

TI3 is almost 8 years old. A new edition is bound to come out sooner or later. I predict based on absolutely no information that it will be announced in 2013, released in 2014.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Holden
United States
Wheat Ridge
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there even any Sci-Fi tropes left to stuff into this game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I wouldn't expect a third expansion, either. I don't think I even really want one. Apart from overhauling the game for a new edition, I don't know what's left to do with it — we've got tons of races, tons of techs, tons of ships, unique flagships, and options to fit most any scenario you could want for the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Octopus
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
"...that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the the field of battle - victorious."
mbmbmbmbmb
deedob wrote:

Smaller and deeper box, like RuneWars revised/Descent 2/Gears of War... Slightly lower MSRP.

TI3 is almost 8 years old. A new edition is bound to come out sooner or later. I predict based on absolutely no information that it will be announced in 2013, released in 2014.

I don't know about dates, but I agree that there won't be an expansion but a new edition is a given.

I hate Shards anyway, so more of the same would be bad.

What I think they should do with the next edition is to have fewer races and miniatures in the base box, but have all the minis painted. And then release race expansions with painted minis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
magicoctopus wrote:
deedob wrote:

I don't know about dates, but I agree that there won't be an expansion but a new edition is a given.

What I think they should do with the next edition is to have fewer races and miniatures in the base box, but have all the minis painted. And then release race expansions with painted minis.

magicoctopus wrote:
have fewer races and miniatures in the base box

BLASPHEMER!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
magicoctopus wrote:
deedob wrote:

Painted is almost a sure bet it WON'T happen. They cost an awful lot to do. I estimate that TI4 would cost around 200$ if you include *just* about 42 miniatures, which is only 7 per player...

And i also have to object about having to buy 16 different race expansions over the course of years... Play the already expanded race VS the non-expanded one?

TI is not a wargame... the model for X-Wing or Dust Tactics cannot apply to this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelo D'Elia
Brazil
Rio De Janeiro
Rio de Janeiro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having just recently purchased TI3 and the 2 expansions, I wouldn't really like if a new edition came out next year.

Maybe they could do a reprint with errata'd rules and some content from the expansions integrated into the base game (strategy cards). But I'd prefer if they waited at least 3 years before a full blown new edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Disgustipater
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
magicoctopus wrote:

I can't think of a worse idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
magicoctopus wrote:

I gotta disagree with this; I would MUCH rather have more races and miniatures unpainted in the base box than have less that are painted. I don't really care if mine are painted or not - plain is fine with me.

It could be kind of neat for them to release special "race-specific" painted miniatures for the ships, but I'd rather see that as a separate (and admittedly expensive) purchase, because they would just be fluff to me, and wouldn't be worth exchanging quantity for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
mattersnotnow wrote:
Having just recently purchased TI3 and the 2 expansions, I wouldn't really like if a new edition came out next year.

Maybe they could do a reprint with errata'd rules and some content from the expansions integrated into the base game (strategy cards). But I'd prefer if they waited at least 3 years before a full blown new edition.

Why? Even if they do a new edition next month, your game is still going to exist, be playable and a lot of fun... TI4 will not destroy your recently purchased game and render it useless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Curran
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
deedob wrote:
Why?

The first thing that springs to mind: how do you convince a group to play the old when the new shiny is available. The old isn't useless or unentertaining, it's just devalued.

However, a more legitimate response might be the unstable learning curve. Complicated rules systems are prone to suffer inconsistencies and errata, TI is perhaps all too good an example of that. Having a new release so soon after a group starts learning one system is undesirable if it causes confusion and hinders playing either.

Personally I'd love to see a new edition that can reboot and combine all the fun content and themes we have now. I'm even more looking forward to a blank slate of a rulebook, if it can reduce all the designers intent curiosities of the FAQ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Octopus
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
"...that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the the field of battle - victorious."
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha, I ruffled some feathers there. Fair enough, maybe fewer races in the base box would be bad. Don't worry, it's not like FFG is listening to me :D

I've been playing this game for so long that I keep fantasizing about some kind of a deluxe version, with 3D hexes and painted minis.

I still think it'd be cool to have painted minis for each of the races released separately. The cost would be big, but you could spread it out over time.

And I won't apologize thinking that Shards was an abomination and a money grab.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
magicoctopus wrote:
Don't worry, it's not like FFG is listening to me

You'd be surprised at how much Christian Peterson, Corey Konieczka and al. come around BGG.

I wouldn't bet they didn't read your comment.

Christian T. Petersen
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Corey Konieczka
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Octopus
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
deedob wrote:
magicoctopus wrote:
Don't worry, it's not like FFG is listening to me :D

You'd be surprised at how much Christian Peterson, Corey Konieczka and al. come around BGG.

I wouldn't bet they didn't read your comment.

Christian T. Petersen
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Corey Konieczka
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

I know they are around. Are you worried? They know what they're doing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Second in a one horse race
Scotland
Bloxham
Oxon
flag msg tools
Cardboard rocks. It's just not the same on iOS.
badge
F&%K YOU, DODGEBALL!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
jack of spades wrote:

Space Marines ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Newell
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm surprised they haven't used the Print on Demand model more extensively. They could easily (and relatively cheaply) do more expansions for TI3, as well as any other game in their catalogue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Microver99 wrote:
jack of spades wrote:

Space Marines ninja

Isn't that essentially what the Shock Troops are?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Disgustipater
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Barefoot Killer wrote:
I'm surprised they haven't used the Print on Demand model more extensively. They could easily (and relatively cheaply) do more expansions for TI3, as well as any other game in their catalogue.

I'm not sure what they could add with a PoD expansion. Obviously no Action or Political cards. No cardboard stuff, so no extra tiles or SCs. About the only thing I could think of would be extras for the existing races that were strictly card-based, and I can't think of what that might entail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Manes
United States
Chico
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Microver99 wrote:
jack of spades wrote:

Space Marines ninja
I think you mean:
Space Marines®
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ottawa Ronin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's true that there's allot to the game already but I don't see how more races, another scenario, new action cards, laws, mercs and objectives, new leader or councillor type, new tech or a whole new tech-tree, new currency or new resources to manage, new planets or new units wouldn't be an awesome thing! I think TI3 is still dynamic and exciting enough that I would rather see it expanded than redesigned. I probably wouldn't buy TI4 till it had expansions.

FF should talk to this guy for ideas: http://boardgamegeek.com/user/FallingFromGrace

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think whether they go with another expansion or a 4th ed., they should really look at the Shattered Ascension stuff. There are so many great ideas in there that make the game much more interesting than a lot of the official variant stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.