trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kind of a rambling post but one thing that bugged me about this game was that the character classes seemed predetermined for certain characters. In most of my games and session reports I have seen here on BGG people always pick the same characters with the same class (ex. Thomble is a theif, Jain is the windwalker, the dwarf is the berserker, Widow is the necromancer, ect)

It also seems as if the next expansion will follow that trend. Now I get it, their special abilities and feats go along with their skills, also I mean Syndreal is holding a sword not an axe and Thomble has knives not a freaking bow on his sculpt.

But it seems to bother me a lot less now. I like that people have the option to pick another class if they want but I'm starting to view it as those skills are just meant for that character. Granted, it means character customization is limited but you can still choose what skills to get and when. Damnit, Thomble is a theif, not a windwalker! And Ashrain has a staff, not a mace and a sheild.

So what do others think? i have just accepted it as those are just Ashrain's skills and you can choose how to get them.

Sorry for the rant, but I feel better. Does this bother anyone else, or am I just neurotic?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aswin Agastya
Indonesia
Bekasi
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's just the limitation of "hard copy" game. I believe the each hero is designed for a certain class, but then they separate hero and class to create variations. Fine by me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It definitely seems as if certain heroes' abilities and feats, particularly in the D2E base game, are designed to mesh well with specific classes, but the classes are also obviously meant to be modular, and those abilities and feats aren't useless when the non-obvious class is used — Tomble's ability is always useful if he's adjacent to another hero, and his feat could get him out of a tight spot as a Wildlander and allow him to attack from a safer range. Widow Tarha's ability and/or feat could be devastating for use as a Runemaster (use her feat, and reroll an attack die to maximize damage and/or better ensure a surge for blast). And so on.

There's no reason Reynart the Worthy wouldn't make a good Knight (rerolling an X attack die result is universally useful), or Quellen a good Necromancer (he can easily regain fatigue used to summon his Reanimate and activate other powers), and there are 48 other heroes to play as using the conversion kit besides.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think Tomble the Treasure Hunter or Syndrael the Beastmaster will be that hard to imagine And I think the issue will lessen the more heroes and classes are there. With more combinations people will be more likely to stray of the "beaten path".

We didn't stumble with that problem, because we had CK from first game, and only one person chose character from main game(Syndrael). He chose the Knight for her, but only because he didn't like skills offered by Berserker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Neufeld
Canada
Port Alberni
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought it odd at first as well but got over it quickly after all its just art... A funny instance of this just came up in our PBF game... Syndrael is a Berserker with a two handed axe and was not in range for an attack and we needed Avric to heal so Avric gave his bow (yes our healer has a bow) to Syndrael to make the attack.
Check it out if you like:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/11287693#11287693

Anyways I'm all for the mix and matching.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
bigGameGeek wrote:

Sorry for the rant, but I feel better. Does this bother anyone else, or am I just neurotic?

I can understand why it would bother you, but it doesn't really bother me. Then again, it also hasn't been a problem in our games.

Making an "obvious" class-hero association makes it easier to come up with fluff backgrounds for the heroes (which I love.) And mechanically, I don't think that the hero abilities are THAT closely tied to the class.

Fluff-wise, yes they obviously meant Tomble to be a thief, but mechanically, there's no reason he can't be a Wildlander. Likewise all the others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Howell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarcasmorator wrote:
and there are 48 other heroes to play as using the conversion kit besides.

Exactly what I'd say - grab the Conversion Kit and you'll have a TON of options.

We don't have any of the 1st edition, so no minis to go with the plethora of heroes and monsters in the conversion kit - but that doesn't matter to us. Stand-in figures work well enough - the fun is in the characters and abilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Too bad they couldnt have designed the minis with swappable hands with different weapons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
Too bad they couldnt have designed the minis with swappable hands with different weapons.

If they did those probably wouldn't be compatible with rest of Terrinoth minis and that would've piss veterans off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.