Popular Tags: [View All]
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Group voted to play this on New Year's day. I was Green, Sam Red, Steve Blue, Mark Yellow, Edwin Brown and Dave Black.

1st Epoch Sumeria didn't show. Sam was Egypt, drew Migrants, and made 7, I was Minoans and drew Allies, making 6. Mark was Indus Valley and made 5. Dave was Babylon and drew Engineering. He lost the fight for Zagros and only made 5, putting a fort in Levant and Middle Tigris. Edwin was Shang Dynasty and drew Upper Nile kingdom, making 5 (?? think we miscounted here, should be 6). Steve, who had been moaning about his card, had the Aryans and drew Population Explosion, scoring 7.

2nd Epoch Carthage wasn't played. Steve had Assyria, and drew Weaponry, which he used to smash Dave's forts. Mark had Chou Dynasty. Sam had Vedic City States (which I had passed him) and drew Engineering. Edwin had Greek City States. I had Scythians (recieved from Sam), and drew Etruscan Kingdom. Dave had Persia with Leader.

3rd Epoch, Celts were unplayed. Sam was Macedonia with Jewish Revolt. Edwin was Maurya, and built a fort in his capital while expanding into China. I was Han Dynasty and drew Minor Empire:Mayans. Mark was Hsiung-Nu. Steve was the Romans, and drew Leader but managed to lose 13 of his 24 battles...he still had the highest score overall. Dave was Sassanids and built a fort in Levant.

4th Epoch Guptas were unplayed. Dave was Goths and drew Anglo-Saxons, but he failed to break through the Etruscans (left there by Steve). I was Huns and attacked into India. Mark was Byzantines with Siegecraft, which he used against Palestine and Levant, but not against Etruscans. Edwin was T'ang Dynasty and was able to build a second Monument with Maurya. Sam was Arabs and conquered more regions than the Romans, something Steve moaned about for the rest of the Game. Steve was Khmers and drew Leader but still lost 1 battle.

5th Epoch Seljuk Turks were unplayed. Mark was Franks and drew Crusade, which took Palestine, Arabian Pennisular and Levant. He linked up to it via Massif Central and a fleet in the Western Med, sacked Rome from the sea and conquered England, the Low countries, and Central Europe. I was the Vikings, having passed Chola to Sam. I took the North Sea, landed in Highlands, went through Northern Gaul, the Massif Central, and Pyrenees, took Southern Iberia from Steve's Assyrians, and lost an attack on the Shatts Plateau. Dave was Holy Roman Empire, and he sacked Byzantium and eliminated Sam and Edwin from Southern Europe. Sam's Chola were hampered by existing Red troops in his territory, but managed to get into China. Steve as Sung Dynasty drew Leader and concentrated on hurting Sam, but Edwin had foolishly mentioned that his piece in Yellow River would allow him to cross the Great Wall, so Steve removed that. Edwin as Mongols drew Elite troops and lost his first batle (crossing the Wall). He took all China and then decided to fortify, building 4 forts in the Monument parts of China (excluding Chekiang as he knew the Ming Dynasty might well appear).

6th Epoch.I passed Ming Dynasty to Edwin and received Timurid Emirates back. Dave passed Steve a card which steve (illegally) looked at, and then passed his card to Dave in a fury, though Dave was second last and Steve 2nd to Sam's 1st... Anyway Portugal was unplayed. Edwin used Ming Dynasty to take all of SE Asia and built forts in Irawaddy and the Malay Pennisular. I drew Migrants- good since I had Mayans there already. used Timurid Emirates to get into China (through an unforted space, before turning West and retaking Northen Europe (aided by the Viking Fleet in the North Sea). I captured England and got Dominance.
Dave revealed Incas and Aztecs, which failed to defeat the Mayans.
Mark had Ottomans, and was now ahead of Dave. Sam had Spain and confirmed his lead, despite losing 6 battles. Steve had Mughals and Leader and flung himself at Edwin's fort line, smashing all but two of the forts. I was a bit puzzled about Dave's passing Steve Mughals...Steve was now moaning that he always went last.

7th Epoch. Dave passed Sam Manchu Dynasty. Sam scored about 60 points, since his Spain empire was still intact... Dave got Russia in return, probably an improvement but he lost 6 of 11 battles... Netherlands was unplayed. I used France and scored well. Mark used Britain and lost a lot of fights, finishing behind me (But ahead of Dave). Steve was USA (cue more moaning). He finished second. Edwin was Germany and finished 4th. (I cam 3rd and Sam 1st). We finished just in time for people to go home.

An interesting game but, as I have said before, too much luck and downtime for my taste.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Van Voorn
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The downtime is the result of playing with six players. It goes much quicker with four (experienced, I must add) players.

I don't understand. What rules does your edition have? In mine, you can play any two of your ten cards you would like, thus the amount of randomness decreases, since it also depends on your own decision how things turn out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The 1993 Gibsons Games edition. You don't start with the cards, instead you draw a card each Epoch, straight after revealing your Empire. Predealt cards would be better, but as my edition's cards have the Epoch they can be used in written on the back, I'm not sure how to implement it.

4 players may be better, but there are lots of good 4 player games out there and I'm not sure its worth getting some people into experienced mode...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Van Voorn
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
You don't start with the cards, instead you draw a card each Epoch, straight after revealing your Empire

Then, I think, there is actually an improvement in the Avalon-Hasbro version I've got.

Quote:
4 players may be better, but there are lots of good 4 player games out there and I'm not sure its worth getting some people into experienced mode

Like Mare Nostrum

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mare Nostrum+Mythology Expansion seats 6, like HOTworld. I was thinking of Tigris and Euphrat, Java, Louis XIV etc as 4 player games which are faster and better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Van Voorn
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I was thinking of Tigris and Euphrat

I agree with that particular game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.