GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,451 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
2 Posts

The Battle for Normandy» Forums » Strategy

Subject: NEW CAMPAIGN rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason TIPPLE
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi,

Finally after building a table....

I'm looking to start a campaign for the first time. I have 3 "old" questions that I would really like advice on. My concerns are the famous 'Nerbelwerfer strength', using 'shell catchers' to take soak up NW losses and of course the 'Mulberry Harbour destruction'. I want a balanced game that lasts the distance and is not affected by these three issues.

By the way, whilst playing solo I intend to use the rules in what I believe from other forums is the spirit intended by Dan. So for example, on other debates, I will not instigate breakdowns of cheap armour in order to repair Tigers but I will repair Tigers as a priority if I have REP points or spare armour companies nearby.

So here goes:

I plan to use NW on full strength for offensive support and half strength for firing alone and defensive support. I think that is the reccomended solution to their strength issue. Is that sufficient for game balance?

I dont plan to make a habit of routinely protecting all NW with cheap Infantry "shell catchers" and intend to only stack infantry with NW if they are spare and available Infantry reserves. So a mixed approach effectively of neither leaving Allied or Germany Artillery stacked alone or intentionally always protecting it with cheap companies.

I am really concerned about the loss of one and defintely both Mulberries to storms. I see the option is there to repair one but is the game really almost lost for the Allies if one or both Mulberries are destroyed? I really dont want to simply ignore the chance of a Mulberry being destroyed in a storm but I also dont want the game to be a let down if it happens. I am really stuck on this one. Is it worth continuing the game if one or both are gone? I want to incldue the historical possibility of it happening but I dont want the game to be ruined if it happens early on. Im really stuck on this one. As its solo game and I want it to play out, I could make the decision if it occurs maybe. IE - if it happens early, ignore it but if it happens late and the Allies are in good position, allow the Mulberry to be destroyed. Help!

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Longabaugh
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shell catchers are very gamey indeed. The solution we have used for shell catchers is to randomly select the unit in target hex that must take the loss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.