Popular Tags: [View All]
William Snider
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend jokingly says that if he won the big one that he would hire some full time gamers whose only job it was to be at his disposal for playing games. I've daydreamed about this also. Would I continue to obsess over playing games as I traveled and lived the life of a millionaire? Would I buy every game in the top 2000 and build a huge fancy library for them all? I was wondering where boardgaming fits into BGG'ers lottery fantasy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt B
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I won the lottery I would certainly buy more games and spend more time playing games. But I would probably buy a house first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Squires
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I often wonder if I would try to keep winning a secret. Games would certainly be purchased -- and overseas shipping would no longer be a problem. Perhaps I'd open a decent Mexican restaurant or even a Taco Bell in the neighborhood. We only get Chinese/Mexican and Yuppie-Mexican.

Of course it's never gonna happen for me -- I've learned just enough math to know that lotteries are a terrible investment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
modboy wrote:
I often wonder if I would try to keep winning a secret. Games would certainly be purchased -- and overseas shipping would no longer be a problem. Perhaps I'd open a decent Mexican restaurant or even a Taco Bell in the neighborhood. We only get Chinese/Mexican and Yuppie-Mexican.

Of course it's never gonna happen for me -- I've learned just enough math to know that lotteries are a terrible investment.

I love how you rank Taco Bell higher than a decent Mexican restaurant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stymie says, "No Fidgets"
United States
SF Peninsula
California
flag msg tools
"Nobody down here 'cept us dummies"
badge
"Betcha can't throw that donut on my finger"
mb
Mundane wrote:
modboy wrote:

I love how you rank Taco Bell higher than a decent Mexican restaurant.

Hilarious, I thought "yeah unless he lives in Brooklyn"

check profile, I just won the lottery!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb
I tell my wife if I won the lottery I would open the best comic book/game store in the land.

And it would probably go out of business in about 5 months due to me sitting around playing games and reading comic books all day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
If I won the lottery (and that's a big if), I sure as heck wouldn't claim the prize money in person. I'd hire a lawyer and send him to go pick it up. Every time I see some dope collecting their lottery winnings in a big ceremony on TV I think to myself, "What a chump."

But mostly, I'm never going to win the lottery because I don't buy lottery tickets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quohog the great
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a big lottery player, but even so we have joked and dreamed about what we would do. and one of those things is a very elaborate gaming/geek store which is top of the line and well over the top.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Christensen
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
designer
Pat OwlOrbs on the head.
badge
Rub the wizard!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would build a secluded yet massive mead hall where I can indulge all my hobbies: beer, music, D&D, lego, miniature wargaming, and boardgames. Good luck getting me out of there once I go in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chony McChuukface
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would definitely still find time for games. I would build a bigger house with a large game room where I could hold lots of game nights/days/whenevers.

A game store would be nice too. Even if the business lost say $20K a year I wouldn't care because my other investments should cover it. It would just be a pet project.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
Why do I find myself suspecting that game store owners are reading this thread and laughing their butts off?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
Winning the Lottery. Also known as my retirement plan.
Come on lucky numbers! I'm sick of eating cat food for dinner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
Leezer wrote:
If I won the lottery (and that's a big if), I sure as heck wouldn't claim the prize money in person. I'd hire a lawyer and send him to go pick it up. Every time I see some dope collecting their lottery winnings in a big ceremony on TV I think to myself, "What a chump."

A lot of lotteries require you to pick it up in person, and that they are able to use your name and image. But yes, if possible, I certainly agree.

I have heard/read that winning the lotto tends to ruin your life. Not only do you get lots of charities/scam artists/etc. contacting you all the time, but you find out which of your friends and relatives now want to hit you up for money / just hang with you cause you'll pay for everything. Many - most? - folk also tend to spree spend it and wind up broke, just like many pro athletes who get big contracts.

But yeah, I've always thought I would do a few sensible things like pay off my house/debts (and probably move closer to Seattle). I'd certainly get a game room in any new place, and spurge on custom shelving and table(s).

I think one problem with the plan of gaming all day would be that all your gaming buddies still have to work all day, and don't have extra free time like you now do. Of course, you can try and find new ones, but I suspect a lot of the random gaming folk who do have all day free are in that class of "people I'm not sure I want to game with" (he said, horribly stereotyping).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Comfort
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thirty-two really top quality ergonomic chairs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
rinelk wrote:
Why do I find myself suspecting that game store owners are reading this thread and laughing their butts off?

Yeah, I always assume most game store owners are doing it for the love of the hobby or as a pet project, as it sure doesn't seem like a way to get rich. While I do think it's a nice idea to open up a game store to enable gaming, I'd want to be wealthy enough to:

• Hire someone to actually worry about the business end
• Be able to focus on the games I like (as opposed to the ones that actually pull in the profits)

Somewhere about this point, it occurs to me I could just be rich and hang out at one of the nice local game stores, instead of owning one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.T. Sloan
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sniderman89 wrote:
A friend jokingly says that if he won the big one that he would hire some full time gamers whose only job it was to be at his disposal for playing games.

So, just out of curiosity.
How much would a full time gamer get paid? And would there be benefits?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randolph Bookman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Get myself a lawyer
2. Sit on it for a month
3. put most of it away for kids and house.
4. invest in shooting another film.
5. Replace the fake gems in Master Thieves for real ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
People greatly underestimate how long it would take to spend a couple million dollars.

As for board games, I already have more games than I can play, let alone keep track of the rules for. I would certainly buy more but not excessively. If I won enough to quit my job, I think I would spend more time playing them though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quohog the great
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
People greatly underestimate how long it would take to spend a couple million dollars.

As for board games, I already have more games than I can play, let alone keep track of the rules for. I would certainly buy more but not excessively. If I won enough to quit my job, I think I would spend more time playing them though.

I also believe that many people overestimate how long it would take to go through a couple million dollars as well.

this may be a little OT but there are some that don't know how or can't say no to anything and end up going through what should have been enough to retire on. I have worked and so have several others (when i was in warehousing) that have been professional sports players including some championship teams. Granted they may have rode the bench but that still includes a heafty salary, but now (or then at least) making $10/hr looking for ways to scam the system.

Again I don't see too much changing in my life because i am generally a minimalist but I would likely expand my store make more investments and enjoy more gaming time.

rinelk wrote:

I do own a store and although i chuckle when people say such things at times (depending on their personality and type of person they are) I wouldn't out and out laugh at someone for wanting to live the dream, if that is their dream.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Chanfan wrote:
Leezer wrote:

A lot of lotteries require you to pick it up in person, and that they are able to use your name and image. But yes, if possible, I certainly agree.

I'm aware of that. I don't know whether the Indiana lottery requires this, but since I don't buy lottery tickets I really have no reason to research it. If I did buy lottery tickets, that would be the first thing I'd check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.