Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
192 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: How is this a benefit? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Taylor
United States
Aurora
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So one of the mandates of Obama's signature piece of legislation is a pending food labeling mandate. This would provide nutrition information on nearly every item of food that you would purchase at a restaurant. Now the FDA thinks it should expand this rule to every item of food that you would purchase at a supermarket or any other kind of store. Sounds great, huh?

Well, as in all forms of life, nothing is truly free. And this kind of expense adds up. One estimate is $1 Billion in the first year alone. And who pays for this? Let me give most of you a hint. It isn't the store. It isn't the packager. It isn't the tooth fairy. And it isn't Santa Claus. It isn't the Brits and Germans who will chime in and call me an idiot. Middle and Lower class will take the biggest hit on this, if it gets passed by the FDA.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/02/06/jail-time-for-foo...

I looked on Communist News Network (CNN), but did not find a link for this story. That doesn't surprise me. They are so in bed with the administration that they wouldn't print something like this. Nothing on MSNBC either, and once again, no surprise. (I always try to include one extra source other than Fox News, as Fox News gives liberals the goosebumps.)

So back to the original question. How is this a frigging benefit? More money being shelled out by the middle and lower classes. For a label that few will read anyway. I fail to see how ObamaCare is improving my life, nor those who have the most to gain.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't that work out to around $3 per person?
13 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
testing foods for nutritional data will require either expensive software

Wow. I sense a profitable business opportunity in software that adds up the nutrients in the ingredients of a dish and displays the results.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trace
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Are you refering to this type of labelling?



or is it something more?

Australia and New Zealand [same requirements and laws] have this on every item larger than a gum packet.

We also require all fast food outlets to display nutritional information on the entire menu, including on their website, for example McDonalds Australia http://mcdonalds.com.au/our-food/nutrition


9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Joose wrote:
We also require all fast food outlets to display nutritional information on the entire menu, including on their website, for example McDonalds Australia http://mcdonalds.com.au/our-food/nutrition


Statists!
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Welcome Rolling Stones
Latvia
Bullshit
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

If you are smart, and a reasonable character, you might want to read the label, just to check if there are any poisons in the food you are about to eat.

Some stuff is poisonous to some of us, maybe not idiots like you, but it does not hurt to check.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
Avatar
mbmb
The poor have the most to gain from tools to avoid obesity. Even better, the people who benefit most are those who take responsibility for their own eating habits, read the labels, and are able to exercise self-discipline. Sounds like exactly the sorts of traits conservatives ought to be delighted to see rewarded.
21 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Welcome Rolling Stones
Latvia
Bullshit
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rinelk wrote:
Sounds like exactly the sorts of traits conservatives ought to be delighted to see rewarded.


How would you know about what conservatives would be delighted about, Kelsey? From what I have seen over the years, you are no more than an average Liberal Pussy Boy who likes to type words on the internet machine just to make yourself feel better.

Sometimes those labels include items like "flavors" and "spices" that are not completely defined. And there is a good reason for that, which you would never understand. Because of your status as an LPB.

These are serious topics.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Based on the single quote supplied in the article, this appears to be a "preliminary regulatory impact analysis" from March of 2011. Clearly it's such an important issue to you that it took two years for you to formulate a response.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Welcome Rolling Stones
Latvia
Bullshit
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
damiangerous wrote:
Clearly it's such an important issue to you that it took two years for you to formulate a response.


Uh Damian, the Cake is the Truth. It might take you 49 years to figure it out, but it will come to you eventually.

Hell, I am freaking genius, and just realized the other day that I am a Republican. You really should not judge others by their ill informed opinions, they just need some time to get it right.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
Avatar
mbmb
49xjohn wrote:
How would you know about what conservatives would be delighted about, Kelsey?


Wait, I'm doing the LPB thing wrong. I should have said that these are the sorts of traits conservatives would like to see rewarded in white people. Then I could pretend to empathize with the plight of the underprivileged, which conservatives so delight in exacerbating. But I'd need to use more pedantic words than "exacerbating" (though that does, at least, have a fitting degree of similarity to "masturbating").

How'm I doing at capturing the most irritating elements of LPB-ishness?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
I was surprised then I remembered the US saw chlorided water as a communist plot.

Seriously, do you guys even debate this? For real?
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
General_Norris wrote:
I was surprised then I remembered the US saw chlorided water as a communist plot.

Seriously, do you guys even debate this? For real?

Have you been taking Dr. Strangelove seriously?

Watch out for that mine-shaft gap!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Ramadanovic
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I am quite a pro-market fellow as some of you know - but for the market to *function* there has to be understanding between buyer and seller as to what is actually being sold.

By mandating the labeling of nutritional content state is not doing any more then exercising its fundamental function as the arbiter of contracts and fraud.

Silly me would have thought that this would be a fairly uncontroversial measure on both sides of the isle.
45 
 Thumb up
0.50
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nothing but static
New Zealand
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
General_Norris wrote:
I was surprised then I remembered the US saw chlorided water as a communist plot.

Seriously, do you guys even debate this? For real?

Have you been taking Dr. Strangelove seriously?

Watch out for that mine-shaft gap!


Fluoridated water, and at the time it was a serious belief.

6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nothing but static
New Zealand
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bramadan wrote:
I am quite a pro-market fellow as some of you know - but for the market to *function* there has to be understanding between buyer and seller as to what is actually being sold.

By mandating the labeling of nutritional content state is not doing any more then exercising its fundamental function as the arbiter of contracts and fraud.

Silly me would have thought that this would be a fairly uncontroversial measure on both sides of the isle.


anything that affects profit margin will never be uncontroversial.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Joose wrote:

Are you refering to this type of labelling?



or is it something more?

Australia and New Zealand [same requirements and laws] have this on every item larger than a gum packet.

We also require all fast food outlets to display nutritional information on the entire menu, including on their website, for example McDonalds Australia http://mcdonalds.com.au/our-food/nutrition



It's the same in the UK. Because (and only because) of this labeling, I was able to determine that most 'smoothie' drinks contain as much sugar as your usual can of soda. This enables me to make an informed decision about what I eat, something that is not possible without this information.
18 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tagge
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
gvchief wrote:
And who pays for this?
The people either too lazy or too dumb who buy food made in a far off factory, pumped full of chemicals, and sold for a huge markup?

It's simple really, learn to cook, buy ingredients (that can't be labeled) and make and eat real food. Here's a hint for everyone, with the exception of single ingredient items (spices/salt/meat cuts/nuts/seeds) if it has been processed in a factory (other than to package it) DON'T EAT IT, it's bad for you.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mtagge wrote:
gvchief wrote:
And who pays for this?
The people either too lazy or too dumb who buy food made in a far off factory, pumped full of chemicals, and sold for a huge markup?


Ah you mean "cheap" food.
The kind eaten by people who can't afford the "real".
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Fwing wrote:
mtagge wrote:
gvchief wrote:
And who pays for this?
The people either too lazy or too dumb who buy food made in a far off factory, pumped full of chemicals, and sold for a huge markup?


Ah you mean "cheap" food.
The kind eaten by people who can't afford the "real".

This is the bizarre reality. Historically the cheapest foods have been the staples which tend to be most nutritious; this tendency follows from pragmatism and supply and demand. Now artificial pricing has made less healthy food-stuffs the cheapest in many Western countries, notably the US. So one ironically finds that obesity is worst among the US poor.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Richards
Scotland
Allanton
Duns
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I would take the costs involve with a pinch of salt (Sodium Chloride 100%). Such estimates are invariably exaggerated for political purposes and tend to include every possible cost however tangential and ignore anything which would reduce the estimate. Just think of the estimates for how much a day lost to retailers due to snow closing everything - the headliens always say billions. But in reality, people just do the same shopping on the next day. Nothing, or very little, is really lost.

Presumably the companies know what they put into their products already. They already design and print packaging. They already have teams of people doing this, packaging changes all the time. But you can bet that the cost estimates includes all the time of the people doing this work, which they would have been doing anyway.

More information about what's in the food you eat is good. It's important to present this in a helpful way. For example, one option is a "traffic light" scheme, where a certain level of salt, say, means you have to put a red marker to indicate it is high, amber is medium, green is low. The aim is that this is simpler and easier to understand at a glance. Companies here have resisted this in favour of the tables of information which although precise are harder to interpret. Presumably this is because they would rather not make it too easy for the majority of people who probably don't read the labels carefully to find out just how bad some it is.

It is the role of government to act as a gatekeeper of standards, the balance of power between a corporation and a consumer is very asymmetric, and doing something about this in a neutral way is essential.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tagge
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
chaendlmaier wrote:
I don't reject all processed food though; for example I use various oils for roasting. I assume mtagge is a rawist?
No way, I am roughly paleo (which unfortunately doesn't have a microbadge) which means vegetables, meats, seeds, nuts and limited fruit in that order. Absolutely no grains dairy on occasion. And I do drink booze (only wine/strait vodka/gin/tequila gotta live a little).
mtagge wrote:
with the exception of single ingredient items (spices/salt/meat cuts/nuts/seeds)
I use single ingredient processed items all the time in cooking
Olive oil = single ingredient (olives),
Coconut oil/flour = coconut,
Roasted seeds/nuts, which even if they say they are raw they are not,
Sun dried-tomatoes = tomatoes,
Almond flour = almonds,
Baking chocolate = cocoa.

The difference is that when they mix them togeather in a factory and cook them they add all sorts of chemicals to make them last in the store and your pantry it changes them more than just the type of cooking you do at home.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tagge
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
This is the bizarre reality. Historically the cheapest foods have been the staples which tend to be most nutritious; this tendency follows from pragmatism and supply and demand. Now artificial pricing has made less healthy food-stuffs the cheapest in many Western countries, notably the US. So one ironically finds that obesity is worst among the US poor.
I see this here in Washington DC. Go to any of the farmer's markets, chain grocery stores, mega stores and fresh raw food is on par with processed foodstuff. We shop at a Korean/Hispanic store where all the vegetables can be literally 1/5th the price of even a place like Trader Joes (which carries a limited selection of items to keep prices down), meat 1/2 the price, and fruit 2/3rds. The cuts of meat aren't usually by the best skilled butchers, but when it is slow cooked or in a soup it doesn't really matter.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
muntmeister wrote:
whac3 wrote:
General_Norris wrote:
I was surprised then I remembered the US saw chlorided water as a communist plot.

Seriously, do you guys even debate this? For real?

Have you been taking Dr. Strangelove seriously?

Watch out for that mine-shaft gap!


Fluoridated water, and at the time it was a serious belief.

13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure mist people read such labels. But I can see why enabling people to make an informed choice is a good thing, I just don't think they will bother.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.