BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Women and Gaming

Subject: Famous women rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
So, Google's current Mary Leakey banner made me think about famous women figures that we may admire. I thought it might make a good thread.

For my part, I admire Ruth Bader Ginsberg. And since I have a chem degree, I'll also vote for Marie Curie. I remember kind of having a geek out moment when visiting the Pantheon in Paris and finding that her remains are there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cheryll Gerk
Germany
Herne
flag msg tools
badge
Empress Rin
mbmbmbmbmb
Grace Hopper and especially Ada Lovelace. I just love a woman who can be clever and stylish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
"Live your truth. Express your love. Share your enthusiasm. Take action towards your dreams. Walk your talk. Dance and sing to your music. Embrace your blessings. Make today worth remembering." ― Steve Maraboli
badge
नमस्ते (Namaste) – I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells. I honor the place in you which is of love, of truth, of light and of peace. When you are in that place in you and I am in that place in me, we are one.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is not completely the same thing and I am sure most of you have seen this geeklist before, but am still posting it here as this geeklist is one my favourites here at 'Geek:

Favourite Women in Gaming

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris R.
United States
Unspecified
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Marie Curie is featured in the new game The New Science.

In Virgin Queen two of the six powers are essentially controlled by women -- Queen Elizabeth and Catherine de' Medici who was sort of the real power in France as her sons were too young to rule, not mention other famous women such as her daughter-in-law Mary Queen of Scots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trace
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kattvippa wrote:
This is not completely the same thing and I am sure most of you have seen this geeklist before, but am still posting it here as this geeklist is one my favourites here at 'Geek:

Favourite Women in Gaming

Great Geeklist.

Thanks for the link Jonna.

Thanks to the many people [mostly men] who created it.

Now when anyone asks or posts about 'are there women gamers'

or 'women dont play games' I will say 'We' are to busy Designing, developing, marketing, illustrating and playtesting to play them!!!

Gamer girls rock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Willows
United States
Woburn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rosa Parks.

Don't think I need to say more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stagecoach Mary Fields
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
Hypatia
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really "famous" in the sense of many above, but Anne McCaffrey's books really defined my early fantasy and sci-fi reading experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Schandl
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
When it comes to witty humor these are role models:
Amy Poehler
Tina Fey
Princess Superstar

Some of the best improv comedy you'll ever see are Tina and Amy with the Upright Citizens Brigade
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer Mom
United States
Berwick
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sakuko wrote:
Grace Hopper and especially Ada Lovelace. I just love a woman who can be clever and stylish.

+1

To which I would add Russian Cosmonaut Valentina Tereshkova whose 70+ hour orbiting space mission was longer than all the Mercury missions combined, and it would not be for another 20 years before American Sally Ride became the first American woman in space aboard the Space Shuttle Challenger (1983).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morrigan Badb
United States
California
flag msg tools
I've kinda grown up with no idols. I mean that sounds odd, but I buried myself waaaay too deep into books. I'm trying to think now of people I admire & 'famous' people are just too out of my sphere. I suppose it would be my great grandmother. My great grandfather & her founded the YMCA in the Philippines & they were POW until the Filipino population demanded they be released.

Huh, I thought I would be much more articulate & actually have an answer of an individual more famous...not sure if my answer qualified really!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.