Subject: Regarding Hero selection... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
I dont' have the game yet, but trying to understand some stuff...

So there are 8 heroes, only with 4 roles that are split up into 2 seperate ability decks, correct?

Is it possible to pick the same role twice?

Or does each hero player need to choose seperate roles?

ty

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can pick the same archetype twice, but each instance of that role must be a different class. (Example: two people can be a scout, but one must be a Wildlander and one must be a Thief.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Also, the restriction against not using the same role twice *I think* is only implicit due to physical component limitations (class decks) and not actually prohibited?
If you proxy one deck (or got a second box as hideously expensive extra dice pack ) you could conceivably double up on a class. Might not be actualy useful with most classes though, spreading out among classes generally puts you in a better situation to handle various needs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
Weltenreiter wrote:
Also, the restriction against not using the same role twice *I think* is only implicit due to physical component limitations (class decks) and not actually prohibited?
Wrong.
Rules, p. 5, are explicit : "Furthermore, a player may not select a class that has been chosen by another player."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Robin wrote:
Weltenreiter wrote:
Wrong.
Rules, p. 5, are explicit : "Furthermore, a player may not select a class that has been chosen by another player."

It's explicit, but I think it is the case that the rule exists because of component limitations. There isn't a strict gameplay reason why you couldn't field a team of Wildlanders, aside from the fact that there is only one Wildlander deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, we can try to guess that components limits are behind the rule... But the contrary could also be possible: the components are limited because of the rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know the balance of the game is an open question among some players, but allowing multiple instances of the same class would almost certainly break the game pretty badly. An all-Thief party could simply Tumble through any enemy in the way, for instance, leaving the OL without much power to hamper or damage a band of nearly untouchable Thief heroes picking up every search token within three spaces as they dash carefree through the map, until they need to rest and regain fatigue. Sounds like a blast for the OL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarcasmorator wrote:
I know the balance of the game is an open question among some players, but allowing multiple instances of the same class would almost certainly break the game pretty badly. An all-Thief party could simply Tumble through any enemy in the way, for instance, leaving the OL without much power to hamper or damage a band of nearly untouchable Thief heroes picking up every search token within three spaces as they dash carefree through the map, until they need to rest and regain fatigue. Sounds like a blast for the OL.

Frankly, that puts an image in my head that makes me wish it were possible. I also don't think that a team of four Thieves would be all that successful, because while they could bypass monsters easily, they don't deal very good damage, and they aren't very sturdy either (except for Tomble, anyway).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on the quest, to be sure. Killing Gryvorn would give them trouble. But if they could bypass monsters they wouldn't NEED to deal much damage in many of the quests. They could dash past any monsters barring the way to the Dragon Heart or whatever it's called in The Frozen Spire and take a whack at it to weaken Ruin. They could run through everything blocking the way in Castle Daerion. And so on. And with the easy search tokens they could afford to buy good weapons and armor. Have everyone buy Unseen and things get even more ridiculous.

It's amusing to thing about, sure. And if the game was designed to be heroes vs. the game, I could see the appeal of this sort of setup. But it's heroes vs. the overlord, and this sort of thing seems like it would be simply miserable for an OL player to deal with. And since I've been OL in all games but one so far, and will probably be OL most times we play, I'm fine with the way things are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, they run through the open group in Castle Daerion, and then what? They're not going to stop the Ettin from crushing Palamon's skull. If anything, Castle Daerion should be used as an example for why heroes should be able to min/max their parties; it's otherwise essentially unbeatable.

And Tumble is still easy enough to stop in quests with doors. Thieves can't interrupt to open a door in a blocked space, so if you stick something in the way directly in front of the door, they have to stop and fight it. If that thing happens to be a Shadow Dragon or similar, then those Thieves are toast.

What I'm trying to say is that I genuinely don't think it would break anything in favor of the heroes if they were allowed to double up on classes. If anything, I think it would detriment the heroes, since they would we much less versatile.

Well, unless you were up against a team of four Disciples. Screw that. I'd flip the table in that case. Okay I see your point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking more of the first part, with the torches (that's Daerion, right?), since a lot of people complain about being blocked by large monsters. But anyway, as you point out, Thieves aren't the worst combination.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And remember that with heroes having 4 of the same class it would be really easy for OL to:
1) choose monsters perfect to deal with given class
2) take OL cards perfect to deal with given class(even better in new expansion which gives cards that have additional effect against certain archetype)

And there's some things to take into account:
1) Equipment problems. While everyone can equip anything 4 thieves wouldn't be able to make great use of most stuff at shop, making their easy searching less profitable than it might seem
2) Serious holes in abilities, some quests need heroes to pass certain skill tests and most of the heroes of given archetype tend to be weak in the same stat

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.