Popular Tags: [View All]
Leo Healy
United Kingdom
Peterborough
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
First post

Could anyone tell me any game stores near Peterborough? I can't seem to find any... Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Leo.

I have lived in and around Peterborough for most of my life and I don't think we have any. Oh we have a few that sell Magic and RPGs, we also have a Games Workshop but not a proper games shop that sells Euros.

BTW - you do know about Posh Games don't you? We are a small group of gamers who meet monthly on a Saturday. Visit the web site http://www.poshgames.org.uk/ and you'll see what kind of games we play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben .
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember, must be 20-25 years ago now, I used to look forward to my parents taking us out shopping in Peterborough - we used to go maybe 2 or 3 times annually......

There used to be a branch of the toy store "Beatties" in the shopping centre there. And back then, they still used to stock a range of Avalon Hill, SPI, (and later) Games Workshop, etc. games. My parents would leave me in there for hours perusing the games while they went off shopping. Upon their return, they would usually pick me up from where I would be sat on the floor still admiring the shelves full of games and I would be allowed to pick one to buy.

I still have a few of those old games on my shelves - those that survived the vigorous abuse of childhood playing - and sometimes gaze across them and remember the times when I would do the same, in Beatties, all those years ago....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leslie King
United Kingdom
Abbotts Ann
Hants
flag msg tools
I'm pretty certain there's a game store in St Neots still - that may be the closest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Snooze_uk wrote:
I remember, must be 20-25 years ago now, I used to look forward to my parents taking us out shopping in Peterborough - we used to go maybe 2 or 3 times annually......

There used to be a branch of the toy store "Beatties" in the shopping centre there.

Well that puts an upper limit of 23 years on it. Queensgate Shopping Centre opened in 1982.

Beatties closed around 10 years ago (I think). I managed to pick up a few RPGs very cheap when it closed and also my copy of Upthrust (which was the only board game I got from there).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Rollings
United Kingdom
Peterborough
Cambs
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game shop in St Neots is still there. It's called 'Gamers'. They have a website here https://www.gamers.uk.net

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Healy
United Kingdom
Peterborough
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes i remember the Beatties store in Queensgate, there is now a discount greeting cards shop where it used to stand if i remember correctly.. o well thank you for your help everyone, St Neots here i come!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Dawson
United Kingdom
Spalding
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here, move along
badge
Need to put something witty here
mbmbmbmbmb
Seeing as we a reminiscing about Beatties, does anybody remember a shop in Peterborough called “The Dungeon”? It was not in the shopping area of Peterborough but in a residential area off Lincoln Road. I think the area is called Millfield. It was a far better shop than Beatties (Taylor & McKenna previously) for RPG’s and they also stocked board games, as I got my copies of Aliens and the expansion from there. A good little shop that was. It’s certainly over 10 years since it closed now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I certainly remember the Peterborough Dungeon. It was on Dogsthorpe Road. I could just about walk to it and back in 45 minutes so it made it just about accessible during my lunch-break.

I guess it was around for about 5 years from 1988 to 1992.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.