Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug Bey
United States
Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK... So I usually pride myself on absorbing rulebooks and the little nuances of gameplay, very rarely missing "the basics" in a new game. However, I just came to realize I viewed the Quickcast Marker on our mages as an additional Action Marker in terms of "activating" a creature during a round. Methinks I screwed up.

Correct me if I'm wrong in my revelation.

Yes, a Quickcast action will only allow a Mage to cast a spell, and does not allow a move/attack action. This I got. But I believe my mistake was in flipping over and using the Quickcast as a standalone activation during the back-and-forth action turns of a round. Oops!

So, to clarify with an example to make sure I've got this right: My opponent has his mage and 2 Foxes on the board, whereas I only have my mage. I go first and use a full action to summon a creature. Then my opponent moves one of his foxes. At this point, I can't do ANYTHING until my opponent activates his remaining fox and his mage, and we get to the final Quickcast phase of the round. Even though I have a juicy attack spell in my hand, I can't defend myself from his last 2 activations until the very end of the round.

I can't believe I made such an obvious mistake (in hindsight). So I thought I would humble myself in "confession" and perhaps help others still learning the game to avoid my Quickcast blunders.

Is there a "common newbie mistakes" thread? If not, we should start one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartow Riggs
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can use your quickcast action immediately before you activate a friendly creature (creature includes your Mage). See the back of the rulebook, bottom right corner. So based on the situation you describe you are correct.

However, it's worth noting that, since your opponent outnumbers you 3-1 you can make him go first until the ratio of creatures is 1-1. So you can make him activate 2 of his 3 creatures (including possibly his mage) _then_ take your mage's action with a quickcast immediately before or after you activate your mage.

The problem I've seen with new players is comfusing quickACTION with quickCAST. Which is of course different than what you describe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Bey
United States
Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I should also point out that there is one possible way to use Quickcast prior to the last Quickcast phase even if you have no active markers showing: Rouse the Beast. This spell lets you flip an inactive marker on a creature you summoned that round to its active side... and since one can use Quickcast before or after taking an action with a friendly creature, this spell allows you to take that last "surprise" activation when your opponent thinks you're all tapped out and helpless.

And yes, being able to pass if you have fewer active creatures would have been the way to go in my example, but I just wanted to clarify the nature of the Quickcast marker in such a scenario.

So essentially, it's best to think of the Quickcast marker always needing a friend... in the middle of a round, it never likes to act alone.

Or better yet, think of it as a girl in a restaurant who will NEVER go to the bathroom alone. Just like girls will only go to the bathroom in pairs, so will the Quickcast Marker need his Active Marker buddy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I most often use teleport as a quick cast them activate said teleported creature
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Guytan
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is an official video tutorial on the Quickcast marker:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM4XgOc6aMk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dallas Honeycutt
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mb
Here is a situation that I am not sure has been asked about. Let's say that I have a Beastmaster with an unused Quickcast marker still available and that he is in a zone with a creature he cast this round. That other creature now has an inactive marker on it, and there are no other creatures that the Beastmaster has on the board.

Can the Beastmaster now use his quick action to cast "Rouse the Beast" which would then flip the inactive creatures token over and allow him to move? It would seem to me that this could be a possible move, as the spell Rouse the Beast seems to create the action that would be necessary for it to be used by the quick action. I accept that there is a timing issue in this, but it would seem as if Rouse the Beast is designed to circumvent that timing issue by creating the action needed to be able to cast it.

Opinions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cannon
United States
Annapolis
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Talon378 wrote:
Here is a situation that I am not sure has been asked about. Let's say that I have a Beastmaster with an unused Quickcast marker still available and that he is in a zone with a creature he cast this round. That other creature now has an inactive marker on it, and there are no other creatures that the Beastmaster has on the board.

Can the Beastmaster now use his quick action to cast "Rouse the Beast" which would then flip the inactive creatures token over and allow him to move? It would seem to me that this could be a possible move, as the spell Rouse the Beast seems to create the action that would be necessary for it to be used by the quick action. I accept that there is a timing issue in this, but it would seem as if Rouse the Beast is designed to circumvent that timing issue by creating the action needed to be able to cast it.

Opinions?

This should be fine as long as the Beastmaster cast the quick spell after the last active friendly creature completed their action. If you waited until after the Action Phase was complete and tried to cast that quick spell in the Final Quickcast Action Phase, then I believe it would not allow an action by the 'roused' creature since the Action Phase for that Round was completed. As you stated, it is a timing issue on when you cast the "Rouse the Beast" spell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gihan B
msg tools
Talon378 wrote:

Opinions?

Is there some evidence that the above is correct?

I have been playing Beastmaster and I always believed that if I spent a full action summoning Bear or Cevere (dependent on enemy mage location) on turn 2 having sprinted to near centre in turn 1, I need to Quickcast Rouse The Beasts at the end of that MAGE ACTION. so I can act with that creature. Because I have no other not-yet-activated friendly actions to insert Rouse the Beasts before or after (the Final Quickast phase being obviously too late).

This meant this rush opening can only be done when you go first on turn 1 hence go second on turn 2 (and assuming no turn 1 summon by opponent) because if you go first on turn 2, the enemy mage can always move to a corner to be out of range of even Cevere before you get to action your Roused Beast.

I hope this is the case else Rouse the Beasts on a Mage Wand seems overpowered if it allows you to "ambush" in an action after you have no other yet-to-be-activated action markers. Not to mention timing issues this creates about when to pre-empt an ambush. You will be creating a prompt window between each action to allow the opponent to ambush in his action. What if both mages want to Rouse a newly summoned creature that is currently inactive? By the above interpretation, we'd have to make up rules to decide order.

I think the flawed premise is that Rouse The Beasts can be inserted before the action it Rouses. I believe it can't because a Quickcast can only be inserted before or after an existing action and the creature targeted by Rouse the Beast is not an existing action.at that moment,

Can someone please confirm whether my interpretaion is correct or not? Ideally with a reference to some document FAQ?

Many thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.