Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
20 Posts

Cosmic Encounter» Forums » General

Subject: Any whiff of a new expansion? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darian Tucker
United States
New Smyrna Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just curious. I can't imagine there would be another, but I would really like there to be. It seems like they're releasing expansions on a somewhat annual basis, so the lack of news probably means there isn't one coming, but you never know.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there are at least two forthcoming expansions, with no real production schedule confirmed by FFG.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know anything about timeframes, but I am pretty confident that forward progress is being made on the next expansion set. For one thing, the fan-design project on facebook submitted to FFG its top-5 Eon aliens (Aristocrat, Mesmer, Judge, Diplomat, and Doppelganger), and Jay Little is considering them for inclusion in this set.

Peter Olotka is planning to visit them around the end of the month and hopes to have a progress report. Keep an eye on the Cosmic Encounter page on facebook: www.facebook.com/cosmicencounter
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, definitely two more on the way, and I wouldn't be shocked if they continued with something after that, via PoD perhaps.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darian Tucker
United States
New Smyrna Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:
Yep, definitely two more on the way, and I wouldn't be shocked if they continued with something after that, via PoD perhaps.


That's both encouraging and surprising. I'm already amazed they managed to work in 110 powers. The thought of at least 40 more is mind-boggling. Also, what colors are they going to use?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think most of us don't expect any more player colors. I wouldn't mind them myself, but for most players who aren't Jack Reda they'd be kinda superfluous.

It's possible that the product is now in its "winding down" phase of its life cycle from a revenue/saturation standpoint. If so, then the publisher would be looking for a way to keep producing desirable content but at lower cost, and considering we've already got 8 players, leaving out the plastic would probably be first on my list if I were the decision-maker.

But another 40 to 60 reasonable aliens doesn't seem that difficult to me.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darian Tucker
United States
New Smyrna Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bill Martinson wrote:
I think most of us don't expect any more player colors. I wouldn't mind them myself, but for most players who aren't Jack Reda they'd be kinda superfluous.

It's possible that the product is now in its "winding down" phase of its life cycle from a revenue/saturation standpoint. If so, then the publisher would be looking for a way to keep producing desirable content but at lower cost, and considering we've already got 8 players, leaving out the plastic would probably be first on my list if I were the decision-maker.

But another 40 to 60 reasonable aliens doesn't seem that difficult to me.


I concur with that, Bill. It feels effectively useless to add more players to an already, well, bloated game. I'm not sure how much utility a 9th player would add. Those alien powers really make all the difference, though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Only reason for ninth player: eight-player game with Symbiote.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Guess the games in my uberbadge!
badge
My favorite game is Cosmic Encounter.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
logopolys wrote:
Only reason for ninth player: eight-player game with Symbiote.


Not the only reason....
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mi Myma
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SparkingConduit wrote:
I can't imagine there would be another, ...

You can't?

FFG has published 110 aliens so far. There have been a total of 153 published by Eon, Mayfair, and FFG. 24 of Eon's aliens have not yet been published. There are also a few not included in that 153 figure from CEOnline. Then there are well over a thousand more lurking on the internet and rattling around inside peoples' heads - and while many of these are crap, there must be at least a hundred that are publishable.

I know FFG probably won't publish more than two or three more expansions, but I can very easily *imagine* a dozen.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bram Verbiest
Belgium
Kaprijke
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the fan expansion is a certain thing for the future and I expect a 'normal' one announced pretty soonish. 150 aliens seems like a nice number to have. If not including a new color of ships and planets they should fit in the original box somehow
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Wynn
United States
Cartersville
Georgia
flag msg tools
I love Nintendo as well!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just hoping for a good box. Mine is packed to the brim as it is. I need more space!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sidewynnder wrote:
I'm just hoping for a good box. Mine is packed to the brim as it is. I need more space!

I've taken the inserts out of my expansion boxes and put my Alien cards in those. Works great, fits well, looks good.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Filpus
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
logopolys wrote:
Sidewynnder wrote:
I'm just hoping for a good box. Mine is packed to the brim as it is. I need more space!

I've taken the inserts out of my expansion boxes and put my Alien cards in those. Works great, fits well, looks good.


My current setup is red-alert aliens, their components, and Classic Flares in one expansion box, and all the other aliens in a second expansion box. The one with the green/yellow aliens lives in the main Cosmic box, and I can dig up the reds if I'm in a group that can handle them.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shadow ruxer
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
they could always add additional ship colors without increasing the max number of players that can play. would just give you more choices of colors pink, brown, grey... those are the most reasonable and different colors that i can think of that are not available.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
the_shadow447 wrote:
they could always add additional ship colors without increasing the max number of players that can play. would just give you more choices of colors pink, brown, grey... those are the most reasonable and different colors that i can think of that are not available.

While chrome is a nice idea, I don't think they're going to spend the money to make more things like look nice unless they practically want us to play with more than eight players.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Diachuk
msg tools
mbmbmb
I personally would love a nice hot pink.

My friend would go bonkers about it and choose it every time. Heh.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The signs are pointing very strongly to there being no more player colors added in expansions. Expansion #5 is being publicly designed on Facebook, and there's no talk at all of adding another player color. Since even player numbers make sense in this game, that implies that expansion #4 probably doesn't have another player color either.

That doesn't mean you can't add them on your own. It's not too tough to do. You just need an extra copy of any expansion, a little paint and some card sleeves for your Destiny cards. That gets you another player color, plus a bunch of spare parts for additional homebrewing!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darian Tucker
United States
New Smyrna Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:
The signs are pointing very strongly to there being no more player colors added in expansions. Expansion #5 is being publicly designed on Facebook, and there's no talk at all of adding another player color. Since even player numbers make sense in this game, that implies that expansion #4 probably doesn't have another player color either.

That doesn't mean you can't add them on your own. It's not too tough to do. You just need an extra copy of any expansion, a little paint and some card sleeves for your Destiny cards. That gets you another player color, plus a bunch of spare parts for additional homebrewing!


Admittedly, after the way our last 7 player game went, I think I'd prefer that the game be capped at 6. So just aliens in expansions is A-OK with me.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Huge games are not for everyone, that's for sure! I'm pretty happy with my 10 player colors, but maybe someday I'll add pink and brown for...variety. Yep, that's it, just variety. whistle
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.