Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Daoust
Canada
Boucherville
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What is the official Kosmos ruling (or from a FAQ) for the following:

Player A has longest road of 12 segments and Player B has a road of 6 segments. Player A road is broken to six segments resulting in a tie between A and B. According to Mayfair rules and Tilsit (french) rules nobody gets longest road until someone gets the 7th road segment. Is there a different ruling from Kosmos? Does player A retain the longest road card since he had it to start with?

What happens if you run out of Defender of Catan victory point cards? This has happened to us in a game where the barbarians were always on the move...Mayfair Rules Guru answered me that the defender of Catan gets a progress card instead of a victory point. Is there something from Kosmos on this matter?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
MikeD wrote:
Player A has longest road of 12 segments and Player B has a road of 6 segments. Player A road is broken to six segments resulting in a tie between A and B. According to Mayfair rules and Tilsit (french) rules nobody gets longest road until someone gets the 7th road segment. Is there a different ruling from Kosmos? Does player A retain the longest road card since he had it to start with?
This rule makes no sense to me and sounds like something that somebody made up on the spot without thinking it through.

In general longest road is very nice and simple: You built a road of 5 or more segments? Great, you get the tile, and you keep it until somebody else has a longer road than you (or your road is cut so you are under 5 segments). Based on this, the only sensible thing is that if your 12-segment road is cut to two 6 segment roads, and somebody else already has 6, then you keep the longest road award; nobody has yet built a road longer than yours, and your road is still 5 or longer.

The comment in my version of the rules (mayfair 3rd ed.) says that nobody gets longest road because "the longest road tile only comes into play when one player has the longest road." It was already in play, so the justification for the inconsistency is ridiculous.

I would say such a rule is only good if it helps game play somehow. Does this? No. The situation happens so rarely, and when it does it has little effect on strategy, so I can't see it helping the game. It only makes the rules more confusing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Paull
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Mike, per KOSMOS FAQ:

In the case of the road question, what you heard from mayfair is correct. No player gets the longest road points until someone has 7 roads.

I have nothing in their FAQ concerning running out of Hero points. The mayfair suggestion seems to be equitable, though.

--JP

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the problem the FAQ is addressing is what happens if you split the longest road and now two other roads (owned by different players) are tying for longest road- clearly no one shoudl get it. Having a special exception for when one of the roads is caused by the split would be inelgant.

As for Defender of Catan, track it on paper, I would say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Paull
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ok..one more try on this. I mis-understood the original question.

Case #1

player A has 12 roads and gets his trade route split to 7 and 5.

player B has 7 segments.

In this case, player A retains the Longest Road.

Case #2

player A has 12 roads and gets his trade route split to 7 and 5.

player B has 8 roads. Player C has 8 roads.

In this case, the Longest Road card is set aside until someone has the most roads.

Case #3 (even more of an esoteric example, but KOSMOS is thorough.)

player A has 12 roads/boats and has the Longest Road.

Player B has 12 roads/boats.

Player A, on his turn lifts a boat in order to move it. Thus, making his route 11 pieces long.

The determination of Longest Road is determined _after_ Player A places his boat. If his route remains 12 long, he keeps the Longest Road card. If not, Player B gets it.

Going one further: If there were a Player C, who also had 12 roads/boats, no one would get the Longest Road card.

My apologies for mis-understanding the original question.

--JP

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.