GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,977 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Why do Obsidian Squad Pilots suck? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Chadwick

Charlotte
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Guys,

I've heard on a lot of boards people bag out the Obsidian Pilot. Why is that? He's one point more than an Academy, but Pilot Skill 3. That means he is faster than Rookie X-wings, Gold Squadron, Prototype A-wings, and tied with Green Squadron. What's not to like? Most people end up taking Rookie Pilots or named pilots on the Rebel side. It means you can go ahead of them for just a point. Seems worth it to me. It's not like one point is going to break the bank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea, I dunno. I haven't seen many people railing against the Obsidian Pilots here on these boards (are you referring to the FFG boards? Based on the little bit of browsing I've done there, people to seem to have very strong opinions about the game, though I find myself disagreeing with a lot of what is touted as "obvious truths" over there, which is why I only browse it very rarely for any tournament information or FFG news that the Geek might miss).

But all the strengths of the Obsidians you've listed are certainly true, and I've seen them run quite a bit, if for no other reason than because it's an easy way to spend an odd left over point or two (though with all the new upgrades coming with Wave 2, "spare points" may be harder to find).

Personally, I don't run Obsidian, Black, Red, or Gray Squadron pilots very much as I tend to favor the cheapest options for my generic filler ships, but I think this is a personal preference and not necessarily the most sound strategic thinking -- personally I don't put a ton of stock in Pilot Skill number. Similarly, for example, I almost never run Swarm Tactics and think it's a costly investment even though a lot of other players swear by it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Firstname Lastname
Singapore
flag msg tools
short answer: you want everybody to be of the exact same pilot skill level in order to make it easier to prevent collisions with friendly ships. Usually, players who tried out obsidian pilots have like 1 point remaining and decided to upgrade 1 of their 5-6 academy pilots, then later realize that the obsidian pilot is being an irritating roadhog and jamming up the space and making academy pilots crash into him and he crashing into academy pilot and generally being a big nuisance.

a whole swarm of obsidians (say 6 obdisians) would mean that you could instead downgrade everybody by 1 point each, and pump the points onto 1 TIE to make it a named pilot, usually howlrunner or MM or backstabber, sometimes nightbeast or dark curse even.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Chadwick

Charlotte
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RogueThirteen wrote:
Yea, I dunno. I haven't seen many people railing against the Obsidian Pilots here on these boards (are you referring to the FFG boards?

Maybe it was over on the FFG boards. I go there, here, and A Few Maneuvers. I tend to check all three, but FFG tends to have the least activity.

RogueThirteen wrote:
Personally, I don't run Obsidian, Black, Red, or Gray Squadron pilots very much as I tend to favor the cheapest options for my generic filler ships, but I think this is a personal preference and not necessarily the most sound strategic thinking -- personally I don't put a ton of stock in Pilot Skill number.

Well, I think it's more important with Tie Fighters to have a higher pilot score. You have a fair variety of actions and the barrel roll can really help out if you need it. Also, I think it's just because everyone always runs the cheapest options for their generic pilots that I think the Obsidian Pilot is a good option.

Duraham wrote:
short answer: you want everybody to be of the exact same pilot skill level in order to make it easier to prevent collisions with friendly ships. Usually, players who tried out obsidian pilots have like 1 point remaining and decided to upgrade 1 of their 5-6 academy pilots, then later realize that the obsidian pilot is being an irritating roadhog and jamming up the space and making academy pilots crash into him and he crashing into academy pilot and generally being a big nuisance.

I have to say that I just don't understand this. If I bump my pilots into each other, it will happen no matter what movement they go on, right? I have played with a large variety of different pilot numbers and not had too much of an issue with it (beyond just learning). Then again, I am just starting out. I only have 5 regular Ties and 1 Advanced. I don't do a Swarm. Maybe it's harder in that type of a list. I'm thinking I'd rather not do the swarm, though. I like the idea of about 6 ships that are pretty good rather than 7-8 that all suck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dickson
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think part of it is that, for just one point more, you can take the Black Squadron Pilot, who has a better pilot skill and can take an elite pilot talent if you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Loblaw
msg tools
Academy Pilots actually benefit quite a bit from their low pilot skill. You can often maneuver them so that they move in front of enemy ships and cause collisions. Action denial is a powerful strategy, and because obsidians move after most generic pilots, they're much worse at it than Academy Pilots are. If you want high-skill Imperial pilots, Swarm Tactics is a better bet. It allows you to move first and shoot first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Firstname Lastname
Singapore
flag msg tools
heychadwick wrote:
RogueThirteen wrote:
Yea, I dunno. I haven't seen many people railing against the Obsidian Pilots here on these boards (are you referring to the FFG boards?

I have to say that I just don't understand this. If I bump my pilots into each other, it will happen no matter what movement they go on, right? I have played with a large variety of different pilot numbers and not had too much of an issue with it (beyond just learning). Then again, I am just starting out. I only have 5 regular Ties and 1 Advanced. I don't do a Swarm. Maybe it's harder in that type of a list. I'm thinking I'd rather not do the swarm, though. I like the idea of about 6 ships that are pretty good rather than 7-8 that all suck.

not true. if suppose you have a ship blocking you, since they are at the exact same skill level, you can get that ship to move out of the way first. Moreover, because this occurs at the exact same skill level, one movement tactic employed by more experienced players would be to try and move their ships onto the positions already taken by existing ships to minimize the occurrence of collisions, so suppose you have academy, obsidian up against a rookie Xwing. academy moves first, and you already planned to have obsidian move to academy's previous position, but unfortunately rookie Xwing has the same idea as well, and is now occupying that spot, and does his actions. now watch as your obsidian crashes into his Xwing. While this may seem extremely circumstantial, at full 100pt games it does occur a lot, especially on the turns immediately after the initial pass, where both sides try to turn around and get at each other again. this could mean the difference between a successful and failed koiogran turn, which will have severe impacts in the next 2 to 3 turns or so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Chadwick

Charlotte
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I do understand that when they all move at one time, you can move them in the order that you want. It is a bit situational and more of a problem when you have a lot of ships (like the 7-8 Tie Fighter squad).

I have used Academy Pilots to offensively go first and muck up Xwing plans, so I do understand the tactic.

Still, I think the idea of moving after the enemy is more important when you have only 5-6 Tie Fighters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My Kessel Run Tournament list flies Howlrunner, Winged Gundark, and five Obsidian pilots. Not sure what I could get by switching out the Obsidians to Academy pilots... but I like having the initiative over anyone who tries to counter my list with rookie X-Wings and Y-Wings with Ion cannons and/or protons.

I just basically call it Obsidian Squadrons sans Night Beast, who slept through the launch klaxon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Chadwick

Charlotte
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Norsehound wrote:
My Kessel Run Tournament list flies Howlrunner, Winged Gundark, and five Obsidian pilots. Not sure what I could get by switching out the Obsidians to Academy pilots... but I like having the initiative over anyone who tries to counter my list with rookie X-Wings and Y-Wings with Ion cannons and/or protons.

I just basically call it Obsidian Squadrons sans Night Beast, who slept through the launch klaxon.

Was Winged Gundark better than Night Beast? I know the meta bags him, but I wonder what people really found. I've been playing a list where I can take either and have been going with Night Beast for the green maneuvers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally prefer the added teeth with Gundark's constant ability. Night Beast only triggers if you have a green maneuver, which isn't always optimal in some cases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Chadwick

Charlotte
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Norsehound!

After reading what you said the other day I changed my list to have my main block be 3 Obsidian & 1 Academy (couldn't afford them all). It worked great!
I had a day event & it was a factor during 2 of them. In the 2nd game, I faced 2 Firesprays. Last time they cleaned my clock. This time, I went after them and it was a real factor in staying out of firing arcs.

In my last game, I faced off vs some elites with 3 Academy pilots. Going after them was crucial. My opponent said it was one of the biggest factors to his lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Firstname Lastname
Singapore
flag msg tools
heychadwick wrote:
Norsehound wrote:

Was Winged Gundark better than Night Beast? I know the meta bags him, but I wonder what people really found. I've been playing a list where I can take either and have been going with Night Beast for the green maneuvers.

Winged Gundark can cause big problems for any big ship that isn't Chewbacca, thanks to the amount of crits he can dish out. Otherwise Night Beast is the superior pilot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Heil
United States
High Ridge
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Obsidian Pilots also get a expert pilot upgrade. So, they can be given a small boost that way.

Not bad for 2 points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Chadwick

Charlotte
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LordZon wrote:
Obsidian Pilots also get a expert pilot upgrade. So, they can be given a small boost that way.

Not bad for 2 points.

Actually, that's the Black Squadie. The Obsidian is only 1 pt more and can't get an upgrade. They have PS 3 for that point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Norsehound wrote:

One advantage to Academy Pilots is they move first. This is useful if you intend to plug up the space in front of your opponent's ships. Sure, the Obsidians fire earlier, but quite often you'd rather move first and deny actions so those Rookie Pilots and Gold Squadron Pilots can't take a Focus action. Besides, if you're up against a Dutch + Garven or Wedge + Biggs squad, your Obsidian pilots probably won't be firing early enough for that to matter anyway.

Another advantage of Academy Pilots is they save you enough points to field a squad of Howlrunner (+ Determination or initiative), Backstabber, Mauler Mithel, and 4 Academies in a wave-1 tournament. That's a lot more firepower than just Howlrunner and Winged Gundark (with 5 Obsidians).

I think the comments that the OP is referring to is specifically the debate of "Which 8-TIE squad is better: 8 x Academy Pilots (96 pts) or 4x Academy Pilots + 4x Obsidian Squardon Pilots (100 pts)?" The consensus seems to be the former - not because it is pretty much guaranteed to have initiative, but because it gives you the freedom to move them in whatever order you want, rather than having to worry about moving your skill 1s before your skill 3s.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Chadwick

Charlotte
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I took 1 Academy to block up a ship I needed to. Also, I found knowing where your opponent is and rolling out of firing arcs.

I am glad Wave 2 is here as 7-8 tie swarms seems boring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.