Subject: Pontigou Farm 1st Playthrough!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carroll Best
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys, just finished my first play with 'Pontigou Farm' and I really enjoyed it. A couple of questions though, hopefully I did everything right.

I played the first mission, "Milk Money". This scenario uses tiles from DOD, RTD, and LFB.

The Americans were required to have Sergeant Carter involved, plus 1 more leader and any soldiers and equipment up to 58 VP. The Germans were required to have 2 leaders, plus soldiers and equipment totalling 41 VP.

I played with my wife, who doesn't play much, but I got her to sit down and/or dictate orders over two days before this was finished.

I took the Germans and she, Americans.
She had as follows: 1. 1st Sgt. Carter (11vp) w/Thompson, 2. 1st Sgt. Hancock (11vp) M2 Carbine, 3. PFC Caldwell (6vp) Browning M1919 MG, 4. Pvt. Nathan (3vp) M2 Carbine w/Radio, 5. PFC Biddle (4vp) M1 Rifle, 6. Pvt. Adams (4vp) M1 Rifle, 7. Pvt. Corn (4vp) M1 Rifle

I selected: 1. Oberfeldwebel Thielen (10vp) MP40, 2. Feldwebel Fuchs (7vp) Mauser 98, 3. Soldat Bachmeier (8vp) MG42, 4. Soldat Schneider (3vp) Mauser 98, 5. Gefreiter Hueber (2vp) Mauser 98, 6. Soldat Barth (3vp) Mauser 98, 7. Soldat Pfeffer (3vp) MP40.

Anyway, the US orders (Recon) were to enter from "A" and move to X2A Pontigou Ferme and to control it for 1 turn,then exit via "Y". Success=21vp. German orders were to deploy up to 6 soldiers in X2A Pontigou Ferme and Hold it. Success=16vp. Scenario lasts 14 turns.

I managed to get all of my soldiers unto the map on turn 1, she by turn 2. Shortly after entering the map, Fuchs and Pfeffer were spotted. On the same turn, Carter, Adams, and Hancock were spotted by the Germans.

US soldiers entering the game

The Germans entered and immediately took positions around Pontigou Ferme

The fireworks start by turn 2 as Adams and Hancock manage to take turns at trying to send Ober Thielen to an early grave, but they both miss him!! Thielen can't return fire as he doesn't have the range to reach his adversaries.
I end up deciding during my 'move' phase to move Bachmeier with his MG42 and Schneider his 'partner' into the building and up to the 2nd floor ( Climb 3 for each floor )to act as 'lookouts' through the 2nd floor window.

The wife decided to spread her squad out, I guess making it harder for me to get group kills with grenades or anything else. Anyway, she consistantly had 'Initiative' throughout this game due to the card advantage. She decided to try and flank our position and to try and sneak around the side of the German "home". Little did she know that the closer that she got, the more in range she would be to the "MG".

Move 3--Thielen after being shot at multiple times the last round, got smart and took cover. While he took cover, US soldiers, Pvt. Corn decided to try to take out Feldwebel Fuchs at long range, but missed. His buddy, Pvt. Adams tried to take out Gefreiter Hueber, but he also missed.
In the early going, the Germans seemed to be bullet-proof as multiple shots were taken. The Americans seemed like they couldn't hit the side of a barn.
On the other hand, German soldiers Barth and Hueber started to stir the Americans up as Barth "pinned" Pvt. Nathan, while Hueber sent Pvt. Adams to an early grave.

The first German K.I.A, came in round 4, when Hueber was killed by Pvt. Nathan. By this round, the Germans found our own pain in the rear, named Pvt. Corn, who spent the game in range of multiple German soldiers and multiple shots. Corn managed to continuously escape injury or death as he was never in cover during the whole game. Corn was fired upon at least 7 times in the early rounds and always escaped harm.

The early stages of the game went pretty slow as most of the early going had everyone jockeying for position, shooting and missing everything and a few guys taking cover.
The most frustrating thing for me was that my two guys in the window, Bachmeier and Schneider spent most of the game looking out the window for someone to 'drill', but everyone was always out of range. Pontigou Farm comes with special Shooting Arc indicators for the windows and doors. Depending which window or door you're using, determines which you use. "A" is alot wider than "B", but unfortunately for me, the windows in the Home "Ferme" use "B".

The Heat really picked up during round 5 as this was the first stage that had 2 "shoots" as order actions. In this round, Pvt. Corn lit up Pfeffer with 3 shots sending him back home in a box. German soldier Barth "pins" Pvt. Nathan, but Pfc. Caldwell rallies and removes the "pin" from Nathan.

In the previous round, I sent 2 of my soldiers over to the 'Barn' during my move phase as 2 Americans were taking shots from the side of the barn, and using it as limited cover.
What I ended up doing was rushing American PFC. Biddle with both, Feldwebel Fuchs and Soldat Pfeffer. The Close Combat match was on with 2 against 1.

My plan was to finish off Biddle, then go around the back and get First Sgt. Carter. First things first, we had to get Biddle first. PFC. Biddle was as strong as a bull as he managed to wound both of us before he finally succumbed to his injuries.
Now we turned our attention to First Sgt. Carter, ready to double team him as well...
When the Americans were able to attack again, Corn manages to even the odds for Carter by killing Pfeffer. Now it was Fuchs versus Carter...

Finally, Sgt. Carter got into the act by killing Fuchs with a grenade-- A little messy, but it had to be done!!

Eventually, Bachmeier and Schneider got into the act in the 2nd floor window and was able to fire upon the enemy. From what I understand, soldiers inside the buildings aren't spotted. When in a building, the soldier inside isn't spotted, but the building itself is marked as "spotted" whenever a soldier is inside. If soldiers outside fire at the building, they are shooting the building with their ammo. The building provides protection by cancelling the number of hits scored during a single Shoot action card. Additional Hits are applied by pulling identity hit checks on any soldiers inside, alternating between them.

The Americans mission to get control of Pontigou Ferme was getting harder and harder as time went on. By the 10th turn, it was getting clear that in order for the Americans to win, they would have to make a late rush to take over Pontigou Ferme and win the game!!

The wife decided to rush her remaining soldiers in a last ditch attack. The only thing awaiting them all was a MG42...

Soldat Barth was sent out to intercept the three Americans approaching the House. At this point, the game was now 5 vs 4 ( US ). While trying to make his way back to the German stronghold, Thielen was gunned down by Sgt. Hancock, who was rushing there as well to support his men.

Barth decided to confront Nathan, Corn, and Creswell in hopes of slowing them down as the turns were getting late. I hoped that he could either slow them down or get them to move within range of the MG...

Well, Barth's attempt was in vain as he fired at and missed the soldiers quickly approaching him. Barth died alone on the road in round 11 after being shot by Nathan. By this point, Bachmeier and Schneider made their way downstairs, closer to the entrance ready to unleash hell on anyone coming close to their position.

Nathan, Corn and Creswell finally made it to the porch and started making their way around the building to the front door. As they passed in front of the front window, Bachmeier unleashed the MG42 wounding Creswell ( who has an MG of his own ) and Corn, who up until this round was unstoppable.

In a last minute rush during round 12, Bachmeier and Schneider gunned down Mr. Bulletproof Pvt. Corn as well as Nathan and Creswell. Now, the only soldiers left at this point were Bachmeier and Schneider for the Germans and Sgt. Hancock for the Americans.

In round 13, my wife would have to get very lucky with the cards. She would have to be able to make it to the Ferme, kill both Bachmeier and Schneider, hold the building for 1 turn and get to the exit point. Everything seemed over for her, but there's always hope...

Sgt.Carter tried making it to the building as he was the closest after managing to sneak past the watchful eye of the MG. Somehow, the MG crew spotted him. The MG wounded and incapacitated him, making him useless at this point to help. It would now be up to Sgt. Hancock for the American side if the misses' had a chance to win.

The story cards showed a move/shoot, hide/look and move/shoot. Sgt. Hancock was able to do a move and a 2nd move on one action card. The hide/look wasn't worth anything. The shoot card was worthless at this point as the shots would only now just hit the building as the Germans used a hide on their second move.

Now came round 14, with nothing else that could be done, Sgt. Hancock entered the building with the two Germans. The game ended with Sgt. Hancock being close, but not being able to finish the job. We had a good time regardless.

I don't get to play SMG as much as I would like as it hard for me to find people to play. Most in my gaming group don't play it as the women in the group don't like war games and no one wants to alienate them. Occasionally I can get neighbors to play with me, but every few weeks.

My wife isn't a big gamer, so I can't count on her. My four year old daughter would play, but she doesn't understand these games and besides, I don't want to teach a four year old about war games and shooting, etc.

Anyway, I really do like Pontigou Farm as I like the idea of seeing and being able to go into actual buildings. I think it's cool. It took me awhile to get used to shooting out of and towards the buildings. I'm still shaky on the Artillery. The book lists Volley targets. I'm not sure whether I'm supposed to do those in order or not. Artillery never came up anyway.

The idea of actually being able to stand behind actual buildings for cover is awesome!! Not that I had a problem with using the buildings printed on the tiles in previous games. I just like having the physical buildings available when I want them.

If you like more graphic content and fantastic 3D buildings and design, this is for you!!

I hope that everyone enjoyed this, sorry if it was long, but I can get long winded.. I Totally forgot... I beat the wife--- 48VP to 25VP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome report Carroll cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew DiGregorio
United States
West Babylon
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a scary clown!
mbmbmbmbmb
peyton23 wrote:
I Totally forgot... I beat the wife

How Dare You! You should be arrested!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carroll Best
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slyde wrote:
peyton23 wrote:
I Totally forgot... I beat the wife

How Dare You! You should be arrested!

She likes being spanked!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K
United States
Urbandale
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm impressed and jealous you got your wife to play with you. That is just a good looking map. I really like the 3D buildings - they look great.

TK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great write-up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.