Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
This may have been discussed before, but the forum is so large that I thought I would just post my question.

I own the base Mem '44 game plus several of the basic expansions (Air Pack, Terrain Pack, Eastern Front, Med Front).

Mem '44 is not my favourite game but it fills a gap when you want something relatively short and simple, and it is fun.

I have a casual gaming group that typically includes me and three other guys. What is the best format for playing with four players (taking into account the current availability of any required modules/expansions)?

Of course we can play the base game with the four-player rules, but I wonder if this might kind of fall flat compared to other options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
Overlord sounds like what you want. Now, it might not be perfect, as there are several expansions that are out-of-print: the first two Battle Maps and the Operation Overlord expansion. Of those, only the Op: Overlord one is coming back in print (according to Eric at DoW).

If you did want to do Overlord scenarios, you would either have to buy the 3rd and 4th Battle Maps or a second copy of M44. If you just went with the Battle Maps, you'd have to proxy figures to fill out the sides.

You could play regular scenarios using the Overlord rules, but I think that would be weird and maybe not work properly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stahler Jr.
United States
Wheelock
Vermont
flag msg tools
Check out Truesight and other award-winning fiction at davidstahlerjr.com!
mbmbmbmbmb

We've played quite a few games with four players just using the regular rules and scenarios and had a fantastic time.

You can use the Overlord rules, but we found it easier to just have two to a side and just plan your turns together and take turns with the dice rolling. Worked great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
We claim this thread in the name of Wheelock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaime D.
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mcszarka wrote:
This may have been discussed before, but the forum is so large that I thought I would just post my question.

I own the base Mem '44 game plus several of the basic expansions (Air Pack, Terrain Pack, Eastern Front, Med Front).

Mem '44 is not my favourite game but it fills a gap when you want something relatively short and simple, and it is fun.

I have a casual gaming group that typically includes me and three other guys. What is the best format for playing with four players (taking into account the current availability of any required modules/expansions)?

Of course we can play the base game with the four-player rules, but I wonder if this might kind of fall flat compared to other options.

I would go for the Breakthrough format. You'll need the boardmaps plus the Winter Wars expansion for the Breakthrough cards.

We have played 2vs2 on most of the BT maps and we love it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
Almilcar wrote:
I would go for the Breakthrough format. You'll need the boardmaps plus the Winter Wars expansion for the Breakthrough cards.

We have played 2vs2 on most of the BT maps and we love it!

That would certainly be less money and/or frustration, as all of those expansions are readily available. Breakthrough is pretty fun.

How do you play, Jaime? Using the regular rules?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaime D.
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Scott,

yes, for the BT format we do use the BT cards deck using standard rules.

We have only used OL rules in the OL format so far.

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orion J.N. Winder
United States
Holly Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
ALL ACCESS - ALL THE TIME - DON'T EVEN ASK
mbmbmbmbmb
A second copy would easily allow Overlord (which is quite good IMHO), or to play two games side by side. I'm not familier with BO, have it, but haven't had it hit the table yet.

We've been playing Overlord here on the large printed maps two player, and just added the air rules, and have liked it muches. But I'd think if you just wanted to play one game 4 player it would be the way to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaime D.
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OrionDD wrote:
A second copy would easily allow Overlord (which is quite good IMHO), or to play two games side by side. I'm not familier with BO, have it, but haven't had it hit the table yet.

We've been playing Overlord here on the large printed maps two player, and just added the air rules, and have liked it muches. But I'd think if you just wanted to play one game 4 player it would be the way to go.

In my opinion, if you don't have the Battlemaps, many of the OL games may need a second copy of the following:

- Basic Game
- TP
- Additional Army Packs (mainly, for the needed hexes)

But I do agree with you that the OL format is a blast!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Overlord is ideal. Breakthough is an option. Both require an additional investment into the M'44 system. "Not that there's anything wrong with that." But that may not be practical for some people.

My wife actual prefers 4-player M'44. We play 2 people to a side. One person has final say on the card to be used. The other person has final say on how to use that card. The two players are free to strategize and make decisions together. You can stick to your guns, force a card on your teammate, and watch them not carry out the orders as you intended. Or, you can work together on a plan, pointing out opportunities or pitfalls the other person may have overlooked.

I would imagine this type of dynamic actually happens in real life military operations. Sometimes field commanders receive orders they disagree with, and sometimes they take some license with those orders. But having everyone on the same page is still the preferred way to do things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
cordeiro wrote:
Overlord is ideal. Breakthough is an option. Both require an additional investment into the M'44 system. "Not that there's anything wrong with that." But that may not be practical for some people.

My wife actual prefers 4-player M'44. We play 2 people to a side. One person has final say on the card to be used. The other person has final say on how to use that card. The two players are free to strategize and make decisions together. You can stick to your guns, force a card on your teammate, and watch them not carry out the orders as you intended. Or, you can work together on a plan, pointing out opportunities or pitfalls the other person may have overlooked.

I would imagine this type of dynamic actually happens in real life military operations. Sometimes field commanders receive orders they disagree with, and sometimes they take some license with those orders. But having everyone on the same page is still the preferred way to do things.

Interesting. So you don't play with player 1 holding the cards and managing the centre, while player 2 manages the flanks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mcszarka wrote:
cordeiro wrote:

Interesting. So you don't play with player 1 holding the cards and managing the centre, while player 2 manages the flanks?

In Overlord, where you have plenty of options in each section, it's very doable. On a regular sized board, you may have a section with very few units. There are some scenarios where one of the armies has less than 10 units total. We just find that too restrictive. It's more fun to work together as a team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Gibson
United States
San Diego (Scripps Ranch)
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've had some very good results with 4-player Overlord.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janko Kene
Slovenia
Cerkno
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JUST A THOUGHT:

You may design yourself a 17 x 17 (or similar)hex grid, each baseline having section margins as normal. Play 2vs2, opposing players facing each other, taking turns clockwise.

Now, think of a battlefield setting. It may be historical or completely fictional, only the quantity of tiles being the limit...Lay terrain/feature tiles and distribute Objective Markers (temporary, permanent, etc.)for each side.

Each side or player has his own deck of cards. Set victory conditions (medal count, deathmatch, capture the flag...) put the beer outta fridge and I guess you're ready to go.

What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Too much work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.