United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, let me start by saying I admire the hell out of how ambitiously different this project is. Additionally, I posted some questions last night, to which the designer immediately answered with kindness and clarity. I have a few other questions, but also wanted to comment on the wording of some of the cards.

We played our first game last night, and, like with most games we were doing what I call "a first game limp through," meaning: we didn't know what was strategic, smart, or, in some instances, correct. But we all enjoyed the game, though I ended it a little quickly with a dash to the exit (which consequently landed me in second place).

One issue that came up was the wording on some cards, a few of which were found handily in the FAQ at the back of the rules. I took the time to peruse the updated FAQ, which answered a few more questions. Still, I am a little surprised at the quality of editing (on the hero cards in particular). It is worth mentioning that these issues don't necessarily inhibit game play; they are more of a word nerd trigger that sent me itching. The only one I will mention is Strike of Justice, which has "counterattack" and "counter-attack" one right after the other.

Now, two questions:

The Elf card Dodge says, when you are to suffer wounds from the dragon discard this to ignore the wound. Is this a typo, or does this only prevent a single wound?

On the Barbarian card Battle Rage, the damage caused by the bottom portion of the card is not negated by holding the top spot on the defense action track, right? I would assume not, as you are electing to take damage here.

Again, this is not in any way meant to be a scathing meditation on grammar. I dig this game, a lot; it is just unfortunate that proofing/editing seem to a pervasive issue in this industry. I find the game quite interesting, and have enjoyed and respected this particular designer's past endeavors. However, as a consumer, I don't find it wrong to address these issues in a polite manner.

Thanks,

Travis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Launius
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me start by apologizing for any issues you have with the game and stating that it is difficult to believe that we have wording and/or grammar errors considering how many people proofread these cards prior to printing. Now, I will be the first to state that I rely on the proofing of others for the most part as this is not my strength. But, I am learning and working more in the design stages to standardize text and eliminate grammar errors or text confusion.

Ok - on to your questions.

The Elf card Dodge says, when you are to suffer wounds from the dragon discard this to ignore the wound. Is this a typo, or does this only prevent a single wound?

It dodges the attack, so you take no wounds when you play this card. The second word "wound" should be "wounds".

On the Barbarian card Battle Rage, the damage caused by the bottom portion of the card is not negated by holding the top spot on the defense action track, right? I would assume not, as you are electing to take damage here.

Correct - This card is a special attack and even if the Barbarian is protected from damage by the Dragon from the first space of the Defense(Shield) Action. When the Barbarian plays this card, the are trading blows with the dragon toe to toe, giving and taking wounds.

One of the fun things about this game is how very different each Hero is and the various strategies that players can weave based on their card play. When playing the Barbarian, you have a lot of ability to attack the dragon and you can take a lot of damage providing you heal periodically, but you also have a lot of cards that mess with the other players - like the brute you are. Still, if you don't move down the path and focus on getting some of the Treasure and gold, you may lose the game even if you have the bonus for slaying the dragon.

Likewise, the Elf can fly toward the exit, but she needs to use her bow to do some damage to the Dragon and make sure she has collected some treasure and gold along the way out if the player is to win.

One of the surprises of this game is that there is a lot more going on in the play of this game than most people recognize at first glance.

Thanks for your interest and good luck in your next game.

Richard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis R. Chance
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As with your first reply, thanks so much, Richard! I appreciate your candor and kindness; it isn't an easy thing to be so humble about one's own designs. Also, thanks for clearing up the cards for me. Def looking forward to playing again soon!

And, in closing, I suppose my comment was more venting in general about how a lot of games seem to make it through to print with tons of what most would consider egregious errors in terms of editing. Sometimes these definitely can make a game harder to learn/teach; and, of course, not as impressive to the consumer. While this game has some issues in the department, it is nice to see that Eagle has attempted to address them, beyond the measures Richard has taken to personally clear up any confusion players may encounter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.