The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: how to build a starter deck rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
vultus prime
msg tools
mb
hi everyone
I was curious about this game and installed the OCTGN application to play LOTR. The problem is that I am supposed to build my own deck, suffice to say that I don't own the board game and only know its basic rules but I don't have a clue on how going about building a playable deck.

I simply want to have a starter deck to play passage through mirkwood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Wilson
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vultusprime wrote:
I don't own the board game

That's where you're going wrong. Things like OCTGN are designed for people who own the game to play online. If you owned the game you would own the starter decks for each sphere and would be able to put them into OCTGN.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Griggs
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. Mentioning that you are playing LOTR via OCTGN and that you don't own the game is disrespectful to FFG and the community of players that benefit from FFG's allowing their cards to be used for OCTGN play.

Go to your LFGS now and purchase the base set. At $30, it's an amazing value.

Once you have done that, there is tons of content available to help you deck-build. Here's a link to an ongoing series that has some great content for beginners:

http://hallofbeorn.wordpress.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nehima
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
I was in a similiar situation one week ago: Trying to figure out if the game was worth the purchase

If you just want to see how this game works out, I really recommend you to watch the "Watch it played" Episodes about LotR-LCG. You can watch a whole playthrough of the first adventure.

It starts with this one:

That's what convinced me to get the game.

And I don't regret it at all
Really a cool and challenging game, both solo and with others.
And the base set isn't that expensive anyway.

I actually created this account just to get access to some of the files (help sheets, card box dividers) here. laugh

PS: If you google around a bit, you can actually find a decklist of the basic game pretty easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erathor Erathor
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Go buy this game and problem solve, don't be a pirate of game industry!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanted to try the game to see if it's something i'd like (I don't typically like co-ops) and had the same decks issue as the OP.

So now i'll just not buy it at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At the moment starter decks are embedded in the game files so are included when you download those. Not sure this will change much with the next release of OCTGN. My first plays of this game were over OCTGN (after reading up on the rules and watching some videos), there are plenty of people willing to help people learn, including myself. Though having a microphone/headset is very helpful for teaching though. I've taught like 7 people so far and I still down own the game, but that's only because my FLOGS was out of stock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.