Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alasdair Campbell
Scotland
Isle of Skye
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am now close to having played through most of the battles in CoF solo, and I'm wondering how others have employed Runner Infantry?

If you leave them combined with the CH2s, they slow the chariots down too much reducing the potency of the CH2s.

They can be used as an infantry screen some times, but I'm not sure how effective that has been for me.

What I have recently tried is using the CH2s as a noose to throw around the back and flanks of enemy CH2s (who don't have RI) cutting off their chance to carry out an orderly withdrawal and then shocking them with RI from the front. This has been quite effective, if you can get the chit pull to get the jump on the enemy chariot wing before it melts away.

The RI shock attacks normally rout some units and leave the rest to be polished off by the CH2s after the engagements have been broken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Collarin
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not yet played or even really read through the rules much, but I'm glad I see they're in there.
I hadn't even known they were used until seeing a documentary on the History Channel about Ancients Wardare, specifically Chariots. What I learned was that the runners were to chariots in ancient times as infantry were to tanks in modern (WWII) times. You would not take a tank into melee against infantry without having infantry to support it. Likewise, and hopefully this is reflected in CoF, I would think it would be unwise to allow your chariot to get caught in melee without its runner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alasdair Campbell
Scotland
Isle of Skye
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know nothing of the history or Bronze Age warfare and that in some ways is what attracted me to the title (and I am now going to look for a book on the subject), but from what the designer has said in the notes (and the development team admit that our 'sources' and evidence for this period are pretty patchy to say the least) the Runner Infantry were used in way that the documentary you saw maintained. They gave the light two-man chariots support in melee, and the game reflects this fairly well I think. When the CH2s are combined with RI, they fare much better in melee for the most part. They also protect the CH2s in melee against the three-man chariots. But then again, CH2s on their own can withdraw out of range of CH3s.

What I have tended to find though is that the value of the CH2s as missile troops means that you would rarely want to commit them to melee combined with their RI. Don't know if that is particularly historical, but this is what I at least have found in my solo play-throughs.

A great game system, and with the lack of historical evidence for the period and reliable sources, the developers have done their best in their interpretations of the 'history'. There are nice little tactical puzzles to try and unpick, such as how to use the Runner Infantry effectively. And how to snag those two-man chariots with slower three-man chariots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.