Roni Worley
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
....blueprints.

I kickstarted the game Ground Floor and received it last week. It looks like a great game, but I will probably rarely get to the table. Primarily because of the time required to play it. Usually that knowledge will keep me from purchasing a game. But even knowing this, I felt the need to purchase this game. I’ve since realized that the reason that I was so attracted to this game is the blueprint look of the box and player boards. I’ve always loved looking through old architectural drawing sets, many of which have been blueprint copies. And even though in all of the time I’ve worked in Architectural firms, we have never made true blueprint copies of drawings, I still have an irrational attraction to them.

Does anyone else have an irrational attraction to a particular type of art or component in a game that entices you to make a purchase even though you know you may not get much play out if it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeekInsight
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
Giant Fire Breathing Robot
badge
gfbrobot.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to send you on a buying spree, but Goblins, Inc. has blueprint cards... ninja

Actually, I'm pretty attracted to games with an individual player board. It's gotten to the point where, when I'm looking in to a new game, an individual player board ups my interest.

Must be my good experiences with games like Seasons, Dungeon Lords, The Princes of Florence, and Merchants & Marauders. Swings the gamut of mechanics, themes, even euro/ameritrash. But all good and all with player boards. Coincidence? It cannot be!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
I've noticed that I'm starting to accumulate, and play, city building type games (Big City, Urban Sprawl, Urbanization, Metropolis, etc). No idea what the attraction is, but I like them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Schmittgens
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you played any of the incarnations of SimCity? The whole 'I'm going to fill in that part of the grid with this beneficial structure' thing.

At least, that's my excuse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin "Coop" Cooper
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
Just Coop.
badge
What?
mbmbmbmbmb
MyParadox wrote:
Actually, I'm pretty attracted to games with an individual player board. It's gotten to the point where, when I'm looking in to a new game, an individual player board ups my interest.

He's talking about irrational attractions, not totally rational attractions like individual player boards, which are awesome... for some reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Derrick
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gems or stones, the heavier the better. Also heavy dice or actual metal coins. Apparently I like the tactile sensation of stuff that I can fiddle with.

That or I'm like a magpie and just attracted to shiny things.

Actually, my husband would say that my irrational attraction is to games, period. While he likes to play, he doesn't get the whole, "But this one's different so I need to have it," mentality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott B
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Torgie wrote:
Does anyone else have an irrational attraction to a particular type of art or component in a game that entices you to make a purchase even though you know you may not get much play out if it?

MUST RESIST ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Torgie wrote:

Beautiful (war)game maps.

Glad you added that caveat, though. Just reading the thread title, "An irrational attraction to..........." got me thinking about stewardesses from the 1960s and whipped cream, but at least it wasn't in my out-loud voice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
WW2-based games. As a Jew, I nor most of my friends/family/etc would ever play as the Germans. Mainly a holdover of my early 20s, playing WW2 multiplayer shooters on PC (always as the allies, naturally. Most of the German spawn points in Day of Defeat are still a bewildering maze to me on maps I've played hundreds of rounds).

OP, look at Manhattan Project. That game has bombs and the backs of the cards are blueprints whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sheely
United States
Hayward
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Space games and war games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Business.

I love business, business games, buying and selling, manufacturing, transportation, you name it - if it's making money, I'm in. But no lame victory points, please. The richest player wins, or the richest company. Contributions to society, impressing royalty? I'll impress royalty with my new Lamborghini, thanks. And if they ask nice, maybe I'll give them a loan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Totally with you, Jay! But that's less irrational than my earlier post
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pencil skirts and horn rimmed glasses
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bryce kartchner
United States
Centerville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an irrational attraction to mechanics that make me suffer. I think of myself as a fairly capable individual, and when a board game, like In the Year of the Dragon or Ghost Stories, kicks me in the pants, makes me whimper, or thoroughly pummels me to a pulp, I am drawn toward the game immensely. I immediately want to play again to show the board game who boss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Torgie wrote:
....blueprints.

I kickstarted the game Ground Floor and received it last week. It looks like a great game, but I will probably rarely get to the table. Primarily because of the time required to play it. Usually that knowledge will keep me from purchasing a game. But even knowing this, I felt the need to purchase this game. I’ve since realized that the reason that I was so attracted to this game is the blueprint look of the box and player boards. I’ve always loved looking through old architectural drawing sets, many of which have been blueprint copies. And even though in all of the time I’ve worked in Architectural firms, we have never made true blueprint copies of drawings, I still have an irrational attraction to them.

Have you checked out Mall World?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Gresik
United States
Bolingbrook
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mini-games or games that "change" the style of the game at some point - so that it actually plays differently.

Some examples:

1) Space Cadets I don't own this yet, but am really considering it, only because the entire basis of game play is so unique.

2) The Downfall of Pompeii. I love the shift from "placement" to "RUN!!!" Awesome.

3) In a different way Midway - much of the early part of the game is "cat and mouse" searching. But when you find your enemy, LAUNCH PLANES and bring out the BATTLE BOARD!!! Oh, and if there's actually surface COMBAT?!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bryce kartchner
United States
Centerville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Torgie wrote:
....blueprints.

Your player board in Vegas Showdown is a blueprint. That is a fun game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Moe45673 wrote:

I make it irrational.

I will completely love the idea for a game and then hate it as soon as it's not about making money.

Brass? Great! Wait, VPs? What the heck? Ruin a great thing???

Wealth of Nations scoots in because it's counting your assets, which is fine, but they should be worth $40, not '4 points'. Silly.

Etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
Moe45673 wrote:

I make it irrational.

I will completely love the idea for a game and then hate it as soon as it's not about making money.

Wealth of Nations scoots in because it's counting your assets, which is fine, but they should be worth $40, not '4 points'. Silly.

Etc.

I hear you. I don't know about Brass, having never played it, but AoI is directly related to how big your empire is. You get points for how many counters (and what tech level), railways, how much money you have, and lose points for debt. Does this count? For me it does.

Power Grid, OTOH, didn't sit right with me primarily because it wasn't about making money but accomplishing a small subset of the growth thing at one specific time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moe45673 wrote:
Jythier wrote:
Moe45673 wrote:

I make it irrational.

Etc.

I hear you. I don't know about Brass, having never played it, but AoI is directly related to how big your empire is. You get points for how many counters (and what tech level), railways, how much money you have, and lose points for debt. Does this count? For me it does.

Power Grid, OTOH, didn't sit right with me primarily because it wasn't about making money but accomplishing a small subset of the growth thing at one specific time.

Brass is closer but has VP separate from income... yes it gives you points for money at the end but you're really reinvesting all that money and won't have much at the end... mostly you borrow for that.

Power Grid! Oh, how I hated that. Number of cities powered in a game that should be about turning a profit - look, you have a great resource market system, and a nice sales area that you have to build into yourself, it's practically perfect... oh, wait, crappy victory condition.

Yeah, it's better that way but so what! I will design the perfect business game. Someday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McBride
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trains.

I dont know why. If a game has trains, you can bet Im interested. For no good reason, I just love train games. I mean, really, its a boring theme. But I love it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stevenson
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Maximus - Male - Evil - Half-Orc - Knight
badge
Green ooze gurgles in a barrel. Do you wish to dunk and search?
mbmbmbmbmb
Brightly colored, high contrast game boards which depict a city or area from a 3/4 birds eye view, such as can be found in Stone Age, Troyes, The Pillars of the Earth, etc.

I'm pretty sure that is the main reason I just bought Village.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stevetrpi wrote:
Brightly colored, high contrast game boards which depict a city or area from a 3/4 birds eye view, such as can be found in Stone Age, Troyes, The Pillars of the Earth, etc.

Don't forget to buy The Witch of Salem. ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stevenson
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Maximus - Male - Evil - Half-Orc - Knight
badge
Green ooze gurgles in a barrel. Do you wish to dunk and search?
mbmbmbmbmb
Pinto wrote:
stevetrpi wrote:

Don't forget to buy The Witch of Salem. ninja

Searching... scroll down to images... enlarge board picture...

surprise

My wallet! Noooooooo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...the square root of minus one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.