Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Weckermann
Canada
Powell River
British Coumbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right away i saw the importance of turn order in this game, and dealt it a fix that our game group does with other games as well. For 6 player give each player a D6 to be placed on your player card that you use to signify passing. The first player to pass, flips his card and turns his D6 to 1 and places it on the card. The next player to pass flips his card and turns his D6 to 2 and places it on the flipped card. This continues until all players have passed. The die in front of the players now is the new turn order for that turn. The clockwise from who passes first is unfair, even the expansion attempt with counterclockwise rotation is still often unfair to those who may pass third but never go third even if they were the third one to pass in all 9 rounds in a game with 4 or more players. This method works great and our gaming group treat it as a common (house) rule now. For more than 6 players a D10 could be used. I have added a D6 with matching color to all the different colors in the game. I hope some of you try this, you will see how well it works and how fair it is immediately i am sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryann Turner
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This variant has been done before. It's a very common thing. There are files in the file section for nice printouts to use with pawns to visually see turn order.

Clever idea with the dice, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes we (the Isleworth Boardgamers) have been doing this all January. Well, except the 30th, when we played a 3 player expansion game which was functionally equivalent (the second player never chose to be last).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heiko Günther
Germany
Saarbrücken
Saarland
flag msg tools
designer
Coming soon: Peak Oil Spillover!
badge
I spent 100 GG so you can read this.
I am intrigued; may I inquire how all of youse went about and fixed the highly unfair first turn player order, the possibly totally unfair random distribution of drawn hexes, the crazy unfair drawing of victory point markers after battles and the potentially incredibly unfair relation between races chosen and techs drawn?

Seriously though, neither I nor my group ever felt the need to change the player order. To us, the actions you take on your turn are small and fast enough to more than level this bump in the road of fairness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Ward
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
lee elektrik wrote:
I am intrigued; may I inquire how all of youse went about and fixed the highly unfair first turn player order, the possibly totally unfair random distribution of drawn hexes, the crazy unfair drawing of victory point markers after battles and the potentially incredibly unfair relation between races chosen and techs drawn?

Seriously though, neither I nor my group ever felt the need to change the player order. To us, the actions you take on your turn are small and fast enough to more than level this bump in the road of fairness.

There is a distinct difference between randomness in terms of the hexes, VPs, etc, vs the advantage that can be gained from happening to sit to the left of a weak player, who is unable to take as many actions as you. This variant makes passing much more tactical, and only improves the game.

I think many/most people have been using turn order = pass order variant for some time. Never thought of using dice to indicate turn order though. That's a good one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heiko Günther
Germany
Saarbrücken
Saarland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
hudcrab wrote:
There is a distinct difference between randomness in terms of the hexes, VPs, etc, vs the advantage that can be gained from happening to sit to the left of a weak player, who is unable to take as many actions as you. This variant makes passing much more tactical, and only improves the game.

I think many/most people have been using turn order = pass order variant for some time. Never thought of using dice to indicate turn order though. That's a good one.
Sorry to have been unclear. My first paragraph was to be taken lightly, while only the part starting with 'Seriously though,' was meant to be taken serious. You are absolutely right, there is a difference between those examples, and it is distinct. How 'fair' or 'unfair' each, respectively the advantage gained from each, may be I beg to differ on though.

However, I do not think the 'pass order = turn order variant' improves the game. It may do so for some groups, but at least ours likes the flow that is favoured by the simple 'sitting order = turn order' rule. For us, that makes stuff a lot faster and improves the game considerably over any other turn order variant.

Additionally, I guess many/most people do not hang out on BGG a lot/at all and play the game with the rules provided in the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pass Order = Turn Order has a side benefit that is easy to miss. Often, using the variant, you will NOT be sitting next to the player who came before you, which allows your turn to be faster, as the moves you take are of less consequence to the people in turn order around you. This makes the game move along faster, not slower, as some at first thought the more complicated ordering would do.

Before we started using the variant, I tried to keep things moving swiftly, but ran into a lot of "I need to see exactly what Johnny is going to do before I take my turn" because it was always a neighbor going next in turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Richardson

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmb
lee elektrik wrote:

100% unjustified sarcasm. Pretty much everyone on Vassal uses pass-turn order and there's a reason for that. If you really think order doesn't matter, why not do away with even the first player's pass counting for the turn order? Just keep it the same the whole game! ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heiko Günther
Germany
Saarbrücken
Saarland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
ParticleMan wrote:
If you really think order doesn't matter, why not do away with even the first player's pass counting for the turn order? Just keep it the same the whole game! ...

Please. I was not referring to order as a philosophical concept but to variable turn order in Eclipse.

Also, I was only talking about the preferences of my group. Perhaps we are a bit slow, perhaps only fatalistic. We just prefer the faster playing style that arises from not bothering too much about turn order. We accept the 'unfairness' that comes with it.

Sorry, I never play anything on Vassal, so I could harldy comment on that. But, when playing in the digital world, a variable turn order does not mean a slower gameplay, so my argument is not valid there either way. So that's a certain plus. On the other hand, I wouldn't want the guys to bring their laptops so we sit together to play a game on Vassal, it kind of feels wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Richardson

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmb
I've done pass-turn order IRL and it wasn't a problem as long as people were paying attention to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Jenkins
Thailand
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We use 1st to pass leads, next to pass choses CW, CCW. Works out okay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
I will find Myntokk and I will eat him.
mbmbmbmbmb
ParticleMan wrote:
I've done pass-turn order IRL and it wasn't a problem as long as people were paying attention to the game.

We use Dice to keep track of turn order. I added purple dice to my set and when people pass, they turn their dice to the pass number.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
ghbell wrote:
ParticleMan wrote:

We use Dice to keep track of turn order. I added purple dice to my set and when people pass, they turn their dice to the pass number.

Does the expansion come with nine-sided dice?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No it doesn't, but I have about 5 million ten sided dice in my collection from over the years, so I didn't have an issue coming up with substitutes.

If you don't have any, you can buy them for like .50 each at a FLGS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eetu Immonen
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
"Ain't nothing to it / microbadge made me do it"
badge
"Move the Pawn, Luke"
mbmbmbmbmb
ghbell wrote:
ParticleMan wrote:

So you use Wombat dice (mb) for turn order? How do you resolve the Wombat Phase then?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Weckermann
Canada
Powell River
British Coumbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group sees the importance incorporating this turn order method in other games. When you know your groups play styles this becomes more relevant and adds to the enjoyment and strategy in the game.
Make the turn order markers of cards/token if you wish from 1-6/9 if you do not want to use dice .
Right now i am looking at getting rocket dice on kickstarter for game. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/springboard/rocket-dice?... If the goal goes high enough i can get the 8 or 10 sided rocket dice. That would prompt me to make a 10th player for game with extra tiles and parts i have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. O.
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
Everyone on Vassal who is not brand new does this. There's even 2 cubes of each color on the Order/Passing sheet in the module.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.