United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmb
I made 196 purchases / acquisitions in 2005, which was less than my 2004 list which met my goal, but I still picked up too many. I am really going to try and reduce the number of games I add to my collection this year to 50 or less. I chronicled my new games in a GeekList, 2005 Purchases and Acquisitions (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=view&listi...) and here are some thoughts on the games I added to my collection during the 2005 calendar year.

Favorite New (to me) Game: Diamant. It's a quick, fun press your luck game which often has people wanting to play immediately after the game ends.

Biggest Disappointment (Played): Motley Fool Buy Low Sell High. While I thought it was an okay game, the other players didn't and I may never see this played again.

Biggest Disappointment (Unplayed): Warmachine. I like miniatures games, but got tired of all the work that's required to play them. I knew building the Warjacks would require some effort and I was willing to take the time to do that, but the regular troop minis are also in several pieces and take too much time and effort to build so I never played this and probably won't. At some point I should finish painting some of the Warjacks and sell them off. I chose to buy this over Reaper Games' Warlord because of the theme and it seemed like playing it would be more fun. I have since bought Warlord and have actually bee playing and enjoying that one.

Best Flashback (An older game I purchased and played for the first time): Ta Yü. I've said this many times, but I sure wish I had picked this up when it was still readily available in the U.S.

Worst Flashback (An older game I purchased and played for the first time): Nothing I picked up this year was really bad, but if I had to nominate something it would be Bierbörse because the graphic presentation was less than spectacular and playing it was hard because of the art and layout. I will be selling/trading/or putting this on a prize table this year. I picked it up because I liked the theme and always wanted to get Bazaar, which I will try and acquire this year.

Biggest Surprise of the Year: Exxtra. It's not a recent release, but I played it for the first time in 2005 and it became a favorite around here. My local store's owners liked it so much that they procured copies from Germany and sold them, so lots of people in the Phoenix area now have it.

Best Expansion: Power Grid Italy/France. I only played each map once, but they change the flavor of the game play without making the game more complicated or changing the game. I hope the new maps give the game a fresh feel so it is played many times during the year.

Why didn't I play it?: Carcassonne: The Princess & The Dragon. All the Carcassonne games saw less play this year and the real surprise is this expansion, which everyone I know who played liked a lot, didn't make it to the table once for me. I will rectify that oversight soon.

Favorite Game I Didn't Buy: Hacienda, which barely beats out Reef Encounter and Palazzo. Maybe it is just the newness of the game, but I really liked my one playing of Hacienda and will probably make it one of my first purchases of 2006. Both of the other two will also be picked up this year.

Most Played New Acquisition: Exxtra. I played it 21 times this year.

Let's see where 2006 takes my collection...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.