Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Filling out the rest of my cool stuff order; wondering which in your opinion, I should get, and why. Thanks!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B.
Canada
flag msg tools
Look down.
badge
Ooooo! Ahhhhh!
mbmbmbmbmb
Troyes.

It's an interesting victory point/dice manipulation mechanic that is not like a many other euro-ish games out there -- at least that I have found anyways. Serenissima is a fun game of conquest and economic manipulation, it is worth the purchase but somewhat similar to other conquest and control games.

I guess here you would have to ask yourself if you want a euro-ish game or something more wargame-ish?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witek W
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
“It is a civilizational wake-up call. A powerful message—spoken in the language of fires, floods, droughts, and extinctions—telling us that we need an entirely new economic model and a new way of sharing this planet.” ― Naomi Klein
badge
“Climate change has never received the crisis treatment from our leaders, despite the fact that it carries the risk of destroying lives on a vastly greater scale than collapsed banks or collapsed buildings.” ― Naomi Klein
mbmbmbmbmb
Troyes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
Troyes, with no reservations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Williams
United States
Lake Mary
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Troyes!

Why?

It's a brilliant game. It comes with 27 cards that define the way that events ate fought, how money is earned, and how (some) victory points are gained, but you only ever play with nine of these per game. The first three turns of the game are spent discovering which cards are in play, and each player knows just one of the six hidden bonus cards that every player will use to add to their scores at the game end, so you have to gauge what your opponents are up to. The second half of the game is a struggle to use the nine cards in play to best advantage, and to position yourself to gain the most bonuses from the hidden agenda cards.

It plays equally well with 2-4 players, and the expansion, Troyes: The Ladies of Troyes adds more mechanisms and replayability to an already great game.

It's one of my favorite games in my collection. Don't be put off by the dice; there is much less randomness than you might think.

In fairness, I have never played Serenissima, but this is a reissue, and the game is nowhere near as widely enjoyed as Troyes. Often, but not always, that signifies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Serenissima once, it's okay.

However, I am madly in love with Troyes, and can recommend it heartily.

Why specifically? Replayability, player interaction but not absolute choice denial, deductive aspects of watching your opponents to know what role they might have, artwork, flow, time it takes to play, great expansion options, requires some thought, etc.

When it clicked, about halfway through my first game, it was such a revelation that I went back and re-rated (and re-thought) all of my nearly 150+ games because it was clearly a "10" game. I've only ever had that same feeling when playing Up Front, Power Grid, and Samaurai.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.