Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carl Garber
Canada
Vauxhall
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which of these two would be better in terms of accessiblility and replayability for casual gamers?(replayability means still interesting after 30 plays). Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bowles
Australia
Tatura
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not too many people will have played Ginkgopolis.
and Glen More is widely regarded as one of the very best medium euros for 2 or more players, alongside The Castles of Burgundy.

Personally I haven't played any of them. whistle so I'm not much help!! gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Allen
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neither - play King of Tokyo instead!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
glookose wrote:

NO! DON'T DO IT!

God, I hate that game.

OT: Go with the Gingk. Although if you were looking for a tile building game for casuals I would consider Alhambra since it's cheaper and just as good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonny Blount
New Zealand
flag msg tools
out to lunch
badge
same place I eat at
mbmbmbmbmb
Glen More.

Never played Gingkopolis though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Garber
Canada
Vauxhall
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Already have and enjoy King of Tokyo....but I have found it to be more of a guy game....many girls I have played with feel bad taking someone out of the game. Already own and love Alhambra! Looking for a game that is a slight step up to add a bit more strategy and more variety.

Gingkopolis looks better produced but looks like it could be harder to get your head around. Glen More is raved about but I wonder if it is because it is so cheap? Is it a great game on its own merit or just in light of its cheap cost? I think Ginkgopolis will be more visually appealing, but maybe less interesting? Maybe too abstraxt?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shayne Gray
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own them both, but I have not played Glen More yet... one of these days!

But I have played Ginkopolis 8 times in the past 2 weeks or so. I really enjoy the game, but each game had at least 1 person that had not played before. I am looking forward to playing it again. I played one 3 player game, five 4 player games and two 5 player games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Tadyshak
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ginkgopolis is a fantastic game, and also quite replayable. Glen more is a fine game as well, but I think Ginkgopolis is simpler rules wise.
It's pretty easy to explain. Basically, you play a card with a tile, and the tile goes on that exact spot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B.
Canada
flag msg tools
Look down.
badge
Ooooo! Ahhhhh!
mbmbmbmbmb
broken clock wrote:
glookose wrote:

NO! DON'T DO IT!

God, I hate that game.

Agreed.

On the other issue Glen More is pretty damn solid as others have said here. I haven't played Ginkopolis yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nyn -
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Gingk yet, but they look to be very different games. Personally I'm not a big fan of Glen More. I think there are better games with very similar mechanics (Ora et Labora, Caylus, Castles of Burgandy, for example) and suspect that many enjoy it because it is more affordable and lighter in strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it makes a difference, Gink comes with solo rules. That alone would sway me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's a Hat!
United States
flag msg tools
Welly, welly, welly, welly, welly, welly, well!
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Gingkopolis but I have played Glen More about nine times and am almost bored with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Triad1 wrote:
broken clock wrote:
glookose wrote:

NO! DON'T DO IT!

God, I hate that game.

Agreed.

On the other issue Glen More is pretty damn solid as others have said here. I haven't played Ginkopolis yet.

I also agree. King of Tokyo runs out of gas after about 5 plays. But this guys avatar reminds me of something: Saint Petersburg is an awesome game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Steward
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
Glen More is really good, but it has a couple component issues.

The first is that the tiles and cards are very, very tiny. It is really hard to read them when they are in the center of the table (and if they're across the table, it's basically impossible).

Also, the finish on the tiles and board is glossy, meaning that the tiny print is regularly further impacted by glare.

I haven't played Ginkgopolis, but it does have better looks (at least from videos). I was on the fence about the game itself... still am.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yannick Carriere
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played. Un my opinion Glen More is a better game but is less accessible for casual gamers. Gingkopolis is better suited for casual gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shanda Hoover
United States
Port Orchard
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting question. I haven't played either, but both are on my wishlist and I have wrestled with which one I want more/sooner. I don't see them as comparable gaming experiences so it's not a matter of either or. I also don't think that there is a significant difference in price.

I do think Glen More is getting harder to come by and while Ginkgopolis is new and widely available.

If you might end up with both in the future I would get Glen More first just because of availability issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Kindree
Canada
Waterdown
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CarlG wrote:
Already have and enjoy King of Tokyo....but I have found it to be more of a guy game....many girls I have played with feel bad taking someone out of the game. Already own and love Alhambra! Looking for a game that is a slight step up to add a bit more strategy and more variety.

Gingkopolis looks better produced but looks like it could be harder to get your head around. Glen More is raved about but I wonder if it is because it is so cheap? Is it a great game on its own merit or just in light of its cheap cost? I think Ginkgopolis will be more visually appealing, but maybe less interesting? Maybe too abstract?

Played Gingkopolis for the first time on Wed night, as a 3 player, taught 2 others how to play. I was a little muddled in the explaining, however, I realized a few things:
The rules could have been written a little clearer on a few points. They're not terrible, just a little murky. Play through it once, however, and you'll realize that the mechanics are quite simple.

The terminology in it doesn't help, but it is thematically there. We ended up renaming "urbanizing" to "expanding", "Adding a floor" became "Growing", and "Exploiting" became "Discarding".

If you do get Gink, play through 5-6 turns as a two player game. After those 5-6 turns you'll quickly see how it goes and should (hopefully) have a good feel for the game. Even with taking 5 minutes to figure out how the setup goes, you're still only looking at 15-20 minutes. And quite honestly, it'll be fairly easy to explain after that. The manual is a little daunting, the game might look it, but it's a big, snuggly, cuddly teddy bear that you can hit your friends in the face with when you take over their cities and steal all their points.

I know I'm going to be playing this one (and Castles of Burgundy) a lot. And likely teaching it a lot. Only a matter of time before some "teaching cheatsheets" go up on BGG, if they're not there already. Give me 2 weeks and I suspect I might end up doing that myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought Ginkgopolis had some nice mechanisms, but then it was a pretty boring area majority struggle which was been done in many games. Glen More was much more interesting with multiple paths to victory - more like Hawaii in the variety of ways in which players can accumulate points.

P.S. the solitaire rules for Ginkgopolis are just rules for automating a second player - I like solitaire games, but that didn't interest me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper L.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Is Gingkopolis hard to learn/teach? Saw Tom Vasel's review, and I believe he said it's a bit wonky to learn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregor Terrill
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arcueid wrote:
Is Gingkopolis hard to learn/teach? Saw Tom Vasel's review, and I believe he said it's a bit wonky to learn.

I don't really get why people are making that claim. I found it really easy to pick up, even from a relatively inexperienced teacher, and I've had no trouble teaching it to others so far.

Ginkgopolis is, IMO, a much easier game to learn and a far more enjoyable one than Glen More.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
Arcueid wrote:
Is Gingkopolis hard to learn/teach?

It shouldn't be. It was taught to me essentially from the rule book, and I got all the details in a confused order, but it wasn't so hard once I figured it out. I would say, as with many games, it depends on the quality of the teacher; it is not innately difficult.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.