Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Lyon
United States
San Juan Islands
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It appears this game is about monsters battling it out. Tactically it sounds like a hoot but what about the age old polarity of good versus bad, monsters versus earthlings.

Is there a provision or a factions, to represent the oppressors against the big fellas?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Two of the original factions were precicely this.
Guard is human troops in military vehicles and giant robots.
Shadow Sun is augmented humans who become giants.

Later additions were Uber Corp who make "Mecha" versions of monsters to counter them, and an odd group of protective elementals.

One of the strategy books has a solo game pitting your force of small units vs one rampaging monster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Brenton
United States
Brighton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are 6 different agendas in the game, which sort of shows the motivation for the factions involved. Each agenda has two factions.

Protectors: defend the human race (G.U.A.R.D., Elemental Champions)

Collaborators: work both sides, really only out for themselves (Shadow Sun Syndicate, Ubercorp)

Invaders: Outsiders trying to invade the earth & capture it for themselves (Martian Menace, Tritons)

Destroyers: They just want to destroy & consume whatever's in front of them, in this case, the earth (Savage Swarm, Planet Eaters)

Fiends: the "truly evil" faction, seeking to enslave the human race
(Lords of Cthul, Subterran Uprising)

Radicals: friends of nature, seeking to save the earth, see humans as a threat to the planet which must be eliminated (Empire of the Apes, Terrasaurs)

The Voltron boxed set added the Galaxy Garrison faction (Voltron & one new ship type) to the Protectors agenda, & the Planet Doom faction (Lo-Tron & one new ship type) to the Fiends agenda.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Lyon
United States
San Juan Islands
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome. I had missed that. Saw the Agendas and Factions but they all looked so other-worldly. And pretty much they are, futuristic at least, but at least the allegiances are there.

Another question, maybe you guys know and I don't have to make another post:

I'm trading for a collection at the moment. There is a choice between 3 and 5 sets of buildings. I'd prefer to go 3 for cost, but if there are certain ones you guys think are no-brainers to max out, what are they?

I'll be playing a lot of solo and using all factions.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robbage wrote:
I'm trading for a collection at the moment. There is a choice between 3 and 5 sets of buildings. I'd prefer to go 3 for cost, but if there are certain ones you guys think are no-brainers to max out, what are they?

Try here: How many of each building do you need?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Lyon
United States
San Juan Islands
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I read that. It was helpful. Just throwing a second net.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Manasan
Philippines
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
To add another answer to the original question, later Godzilla films saw him as a defender of the earth, fighting off various alien invaders. So monster vs monster is definitely legitimate in this genre.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Lyon
United States
San Juan Islands
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, really? I remember watching the God-man. Where did he hang between invaders?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Manasan
Philippines
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There were a lot of Godzilla films, basically.

"As the Godzilla series continued, the great beast was developed as a character, and has become a savior of the earth, saving the world from other monsters (usually from Outer Space) like King Ghidorah, Gigan and MechaGodzilla, along with other monsters like Rodan and Mothra."

http://godzilla.wikia.com/wiki/Godzilla
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:

One of the strategy books has a solo game pitting your force of small units vs one rampaging monster.

Is this published anywhere other than the strategy book? I'd be really interested in a solo game like that but the strat books are pretty hard to find right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Lyon
United States
San Juan Islands
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamconvenant has it here: http://teamcovenant.com/cottondonkey/2011/10/04/variant-scen...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.