Iain K
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Question:

Is there any way to look at a person's profile and tell what parts they want for games?

The reason being that I thrift a lot* and I see a tons of games. I'd like to keep in mind what my geekbuddies, and others need.

Now I know you're thinking, dude, you're evil, what's in it for you. Heck, even my wife says I'm going to hell**; claims I'll be sitting between Hitler and Mussolini watching "The Nutcracker" for all eternity.

Which is total BS, because Trippie's gonna' have that seat. I'll be five rows back, between Stalin and Mr. Cranky - which is totally cool. If I'm going to be spending eternity to next to crazy Joe watching ballet, at least I'll have Josh to commiserate with and we can chuck things at Trippie's big head.

Call me crazy, but the thought of DW's head kicking forward and then back, as it takes a spit ball from Stalin . . . that's comedy.

"Back and to the left, back and to the left . . ."

Enough with the theology . . . I digress.

Example, a few months ago, I scored a copy of Acquire that had been used to chock the wheels of the thrift store's truck.*** I got it for parts, since it was obviously not complete, and then I got the parts out to folks who needed them, giving new life to bunch of copies of a great game.** **

Time was, we had an excellent geeklist full of parts people needed** ** *, the new systems is good, but I'd love to have the ability to see what someone wants. It's a karma thing, regardless of what Koldie thinks** ** **. I've had people mail me parts I needed, and I'm gonna' pass this damn thing forward.

Philanthropy** ** ** * is part of what makes the Geek a great thing, that and Derk's wit.** ** ** **

Otherwise, I run the risk of sitting between Adolf and Trippie . . . and let's face it, no one wants that . . .

Anyhoo, just wondering if the feature exists or if there's some way to cheat the system.

Game on everyone, and have the best of New Years !

Iain
citizen k

* step 1 of 12, admitting you have a problem - check

** a claim which in no way makes me unique.

*** I shit you not, I asked them, "Can I have that game, the one chocking the wheels of your truck?" And they said, "What'll we use to chock the wheels?" I gestured to the shelves full of Trivial Pursuit, and they said, "Nah, we use those to heat the place." In the end, we settled on chocking the wheels with a copy of Caylus I'd had imported, just because I knew it'd cheese people off.

** ** And as an added bonus, destroying a copy of Caylus - hey, see you at the ballet . . .

** ** * speaking of lists, where the hell did my favorite geek lists go? I had like six lists that I really cared about and now . . .

** ** ** I know, the words "Koldie thinks", despite being proper words in English, make absolutely no sense when placed together.

** ** ** * Koldie, Philanthropy = giving stuff for no good reason but the karma

** ** ** ** So you can see, Philanthropy carries the lion's share of the load.

The proceeding text contains references to people and places both real and imagined. It is intended to be humorous. Any resemblance to vitriol, malice, or "Americanism" is purely unintentional and is the fault of the reader's innate biases and base emotions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you're more likely getting a room paid in the crack-house than h**l...
laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
And then I said, "No dear, I never said I was a philanthropist. I said philanderer."

"What's that dear? No dear, that does not mean I collect stamps."

Save me a seat willya? I've never seen the Nutcracker. Is it anything like The Ballbuster?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain K
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Re: Question re: "Parts wanted", Stalin, and the eternal bal
Scribbie ! I hope you don't feel slighted that I didn't paint you into my somewhat* Dante-esk vision of hell. Especially given the number of times I've told you I'd see you there.

I now see the error of my ways. You sir, are a saint. Rest assured that one day you will dwell among the great game Geek saints, St. Aldie - the Generous, St. Derk - the Loquacious, and my own beloved patron Saint, Groggy - the Articulate.

Eric, Ce va mon amie? C'est un historie tragique non?

So you're saying, I won't be in hell???

True, as a life long Habs fan, I've suffered during my time here on earth . . . ah but the 70's, those were the days!**

* but not very

** as were the 60's, the 50's, and the late 40's, non?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
citizen k wrote:
Scribbie ! I hope you don't feel slighted that I didn't paint you into my somewhat* Dante-esk vision of hell. Especially given the number of times I've told you I'd see you there.

I now see the error of my ways. You sir, are a saint. Rest assured that one day you will dwell among the great game Geek saints, St. Aldie - the Generous, St. Derk - the Loquacious, and my own beloved patron Saint, Groggy - the Articulate.

Eric, Ce va mon amie? C'est un historie tragique non?

So you're saying, I won't be in hell???

True, as a life long Habs fan, I've suffered during my time here on earth . . . ah but the 70's, those were the days!**

* but not very

** as were the 60's, the 50's, and the late 40's, non?

LOL! C'est une histoire tragique effectivement, mon ami! (thanks for the reply in French!)

I'm still a Nordiques fan, so I haven't looked at any hockey game for the last 10 years and I've paid my share by humiliation to the habs! But I can't really recall anthing before the 70's, I kind of ... wasn't born just yet!

Since this reply, I'm sure we can make space for you at the asylum just for you, actually when you hear a "knock-knock" on your door, it's because the limousine is waiting for you You'll be treated with the greatest respect and even be given a shirt with long, long sleeves. It's actually the latest fashion, you'll like it I'm sure!

Plus you'll get a great room, filled with mattresses, on each wall and in the floor!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty sure grognads is going to be around somewhere...

Actually speaking to you in a manner that 'mimics' his "unique" writing style devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain K
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Oh I don't recall the 60's, 50's or 40's, but as a Hab fan, you hear the stories.

I remember my mother telling me how The Rocket Richard had skated over Gordie Howe's head on his way to scoring a goal - can't exactly remember the lesson she was trying to teach me . . .

As for the 'diques, can I just say "Thanks" on behalf of all of us here in Colorado.

Hey, funny 'diques related side note, I found a Eric Lindros bobble head doll at a thrift store a couple months back. I thought it was hilarious.* Put it on a shelf in my office but found I couldn't stop hitting the damn thing in open ice. Ended up giving it to my buddy Joey C, poor guy's a Bruins fan of all things.

* but then I obviously like physical comedy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.