Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
B Hanly
Ireland
Chunga Empire
Cork
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was playing a game of Eclipse with my nephew yesterday and flipped a discovery tile that looked like the Galactic Centre drawing in the rule book.

After looking it up we couldn't find it in the rule book. We then house ruled that it was an extra hardpoint for one ship upgrade.

Does anyone know what this is and are we using it right or is it for something else.
It's definitely a discovery tile as it has 2VPs on one side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bettan
Canada
Cote St Luc
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it possible that it is the cruiser and not galactic center? Or possibly the tile that gives you one free thechnology (cheapest one not already researched)? Are you playing the base game only or with the expansion?

On the reference cards that come with the game there is one that describes all the discovery tiles.

If you are still stuck, put up a more detailed description, or look through the game images to find a picture if it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
Were you playing with Rise of the Ancients? If so, then maybe it was the Morph Shield.

A picture would definitely help here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Come to think of it, there were some blank tiles included in the game as extras. Is it possible that the tile you flipped over was the blank discovery?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Watne
United States
Burlington
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Good times.
mbmbmbmbmb
Peristarkawan wrote:
Come to think of it, there were some blank tiles included in the game as extras. Is it possible that the tile you flipped over was the blank discovery?

It sounds like this. In the rule book, the illustration of the galactic center is a bunch of metal plates, which is the same background image for a Discovery Tile. The blank discovery tiles show the background image only (metal plates), but still have the 2VP icon on the back side.

Therefore, the blank one should be removed, but given that you found it and houseruled it to be something that you both agreed upon, then it sounds like you handled the situation correctly in that instance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like you are describing an Ancient Technology tile (middle of p.7 in my rule book). You may either take the 2 VP or the cheapest Technology Tile you don't already have from the Supply Board and place it on the Player Board for free.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Hanly
Ireland
Chunga Empire
Cork
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We don't have RoTA so it's not an an Ancient cruiser. It's def not an ancient tech tile, i know what they look like. Its probably a spare discovery tile. It's just unusual that there is only one in the whole game that shape which is why I thought it as an extra ancient discovery for a hardpoint.
It looks like the drawing of the Galactic Centre on page 29 of the rulebook with the 2VPs on the upside.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristoff Bergenholm
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rougebladez wrote:
We don't have RoTA so it's not an an Ancient cruiser. It's def not an ancient tech tile, i know what they look like. Its probably a spare discovery tile. It's just unusual that there is only one in the whole game that shape which is why I thought it as an extra ancient discovery for a hardpoint.
It looks like the drawing of the Galactic Centre on page 29 of the rulebook with the 2VPs on the upside.

That's the background that the Ancient Ship Part discovery tiles use, so it's the blank one that was included on the sheet. Either remove it from the active selection of tiles, or use it just like you've ruled it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Ward
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have been playing that the blank discovery tile is an extra slot that you can add to any blueprint for sometime.
It's a fun one because it creates new design options which keeps the combat dynamic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
neko flying
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hudcrab wrote:
I have been playing that the blank discovery tile is an extra slot that you can add to any blueprint for sometime.
It's a fun one because it creates new design options which keeps the combat dynamic

sounds fun, but isn't it overpowered. On Interceptors it'd be huge

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Icelom The awsome
msg tools
flying_neko wrote:
hudcrab wrote:

I agree that sounds crazy powerful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Hanly
Ireland
Chunga Empire
Cork
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it turned out to be too powerful we would obviously restrict its use or stop using altogether.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used it as a "pod" (extra slot) once. It felt too strong. We considered making it have a power requirement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
neko flying
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe a pod that can only hold "basic" technologies? I mean Electron Cannon, Hull, +1 Computer, -1 Shields, 3 Power, or 1 Drive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play it that the blank discovery tile allows you to draw a discovery tile. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Hanly
Ireland
Chunga Empire
Cork
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A discovery tile that let's you pick a discovery tile???

Or are you suggesting that you keep the VPs and ALSO pick another discovery?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rougebladez wrote:
A discovery tile that let's you pick a discovery tile???

Or are you suggesting that you keep the VPs and ALSO pick another discovery?

I am sure he is suggesting that if you draw a discovery tile that shouldn't be there, then you should toss it, and draw a new tile. You know, like you drew that other tile in the first place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Haggard
United States
New Whiteland
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We actually play with that particular discovery tile and use it solely for the points. It works out thematically because sometimes exploring reaps you no real benefit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Ward
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
flying_neko wrote:
hudcrab wrote:

It is very powerful, but it doesnt consistantly 'win games', that I've noticed. Is it better than many discovery tiles? Yes but i dont really see that a problem, anything that stimulates more varied ship designs has the capacity to improve the game. It does tend to get put on the interceptors, but I've seen it used to good effect on cruisers too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Jenkins
Thailand
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.