Shawn Dumas
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was a freshman in High school and was skipping class and killing time in the school library when the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe caught my attention. Having taken the book from the shelf I began to read it and I quickly found my self transfixed. The book dealt so honestly and so disapprovingly with the horrid thoughts and actions of the selfish brat of Edmund that I could not put it down.

It was not that I had never before encountered in print the likes of a selfish brat. What fascinated me was the fact that no excuse was made for Edmund! Every book I had read thus far had sought to make the reader empathize with the wrongs committed by its main characters; the authors had sought to legitimize selfishness and lies, and all manner of evil, as if the only true evil was to recognizing evil for what it is.

But little did I know that this small book held a greater wonder within its pages, for Narnia was the land in which I first glimpsed my Lord. I did not know Him as Lord then, when I first caught a glimpse of Him there upon the stone table; but now I am certain of it. I was Edmund, the selfish traitor, and my Aslan is Jesus Christ, the only important difference being that Edmund had repented before Aslan loved him with the love of sacrifice, but not so with me. I was still an enemy when The Lord loved me upon the cross.

God, through C. S. Lewis, taught me the shape and form of Christ as in a drawing, so that when my Lord came it was a familiar face that I beheld. I may not agree with all that Lewis taught, but I will forever be indebted to him for giving me a portrait by which Christ’s face might be seen by this former enemy. This is why that land beyond the wardrobe will live and thrive in my imagination until the day when I no longer need the sketch, but can look upon the face of my Lord Himself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: I finally got my Avatar and Übergeek Badge!
Roy, it is his thread. He can preach all he likes.

Calling him a madman won't help matters....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Dumas
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Roy Levien, I understand and am sorry to have provoked you to childishness.

Won't happen again.

I was asked a specific questions about the Lion of Judah, Aslan, and C. S. Lewis. I did not make this thread with the intention of 'preaching' as you say.

BTW yes, Steven Heinrich, The Princess and the Goblin was very influential to Lewis; but if you want to talk more about it lets move to the OT forum.

And a big thank you to everyone that liked my Avatar and Übergeek Badge. If any one needs any help getting theirs looking the way they want, please honor me by sending a GeekMail and allowing me to help out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Dumas
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, no problem Roy. Delusional remarks elsewhere, got it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sosa
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
I will break him.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to back Tulkas here. This is his thread and his comments were on point, basically discussing the relationship of the Lewis Carrol books to his avatar and the influence they had on him. While I can certanly understand how someone may not appreciate discussion of religion, this is related to his avatar which is the point of the thread. You could easily have chosen not to participate. Calling them delusional is insulting and I believe an apology should be forthcoming.

Disclosure: I do not share Tulkas religious views but I did receive some free GG from him!

(Thanks, it was exactly how much I needed after uploading those pics today! I'll try my hand at avatar creation but if I need help I'll make sure to contact you!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok. Roy, you clearly have some delusional and irrational beliefs yourselves, starting with the belief that Tulkas has expressed delusional beliefs.

Anyway, let us move on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Dumas
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I checked out that link and... I am confused... who is it that's preaching again?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: My reaction to reading The Lion the Witch and the Wardro
Roy, perhaps it is useful to convince people that religious beliefs are delusional.

However, calling names isn't going to convince anybody of anything, except that you (and by unfortunate association other nonreligious people) are impolite. Supplying an informative link is a little better. Apologizing would also be a good idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldaron wrote:
How about a BGG New Year's Resolution: let's restrict looney preaching to OT threads.

its in the Blogs forum, which I think is quite appropriate for the content of his post. Where would you have it go? Step back man and think before you fly off the handle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
jmilum wrote:
its in the Blogs forum, which I think is quite appropriate for the content of his post.

It wasn't originally. It was just moved here by the admins, hence the confusion.

SevenSpirits wrote:
perhaps it is useful to convince people that religious beliefs are delusional.

Actually there's a pretty good argument that it would be a bad idea. I just wanted this OT, which has been done.

I will remove my original posts to avoid further confusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldaron wrote:
It wasn't originally. It was just moved here by the admins, hence the confusion.

ahhh, I see now, sorry for the snappish response.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Meyer
United Kingdom
Crawley
West Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I for one, enjoyed your post and appreciate the message you are conveying.

I am curious to know if you have read "Mere Christianity"?

I feel that you hit the nail on the head of what C.S. Lewis intended people to think about when reading the Chronicals of Narnia.

I assume that the people who commented on your preaching have not read or understand the author, indeed it would seem that his intentions were to promote Christianity...and no matter what our personal beliefs about religion are you can not ignore the fact that the author intended it for that purpose and that you UNDERSTOOD that. A little bit of research should clear that up for them, you are not kooky at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.