GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,255 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
23 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: A question or 3 about PETA rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Noisy. They get a lot of support from hollywood liberals so their national profile's a lot bigger than than their clout.

2. Nope.

3. I think so, and I'm pretty liberal. Even if you agree with their message, their tactics and methodology are just idiotic. And for me, you have to be living in a nonsense fantasy world to be able to agree with their message.

To explain my POV, I honestly believe that humans routinely treat other animals in a way that is unconscionable. I think cruelty for the sake of saving money and time (product testing, cheaper hamburgers, etc), or just because we feel like it (mink coats, ivory) are not acceptable. I think cruelty for the sake of the advancement of humanity IS (medical/physical testing). There are ways we could change the way we see the relationship between us and other animals. Pretending that non-humans are human is not the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chaendlmaier wrote:
I believe PETA mostly caters to the "animals are cute" crowd, who constitute most of their members and which makes up most of their agenda. It's no surprise then, their operations are more about emotions than rationality.

But don't their whackjob antics make it more difficult to have serious discussions and work toward actual solutions? Don't they make it easier to smear all who care about the environment as weirdos since you can just break out a "Bet you belong to PETA too"?

They're the environmental equivalent of Westboro.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Peterson
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
schwartz!
badge
My hovercraft is full of eels!
mbmbmbmbmb
People
Eating
Tasty
Animals

Sums up how many people feels about them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I am the wasp / that burrows in! I am the shriek / of twilight din!
mbmbmb
You should make that into a t-shirt! People love these original parodies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
im exceptionally liberal and find peta rather reactionary

im not pro making animals suffer needlessly either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
PETA wrote:
People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) is the largest animal rights organization in the world, with more than 3 million members and supporters.

PETA focuses its attention on the four areas in which the largest numbers of animals suffer the most intensely for the longest periods of time:
1) on factory farms
2) in the clothing trade
3) in laboratories
4) in the entertainment industry

We also work on a variety of other issues, including the cruel killing of beavers, birds, and other "pests" as well as cruelty to domesticated animals.

PETA works through public education, cruelty investigations, research, animal rescue, legislation, special events, celebrity involvement, and protest campaigns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
いい竹やぶだ!

South Euclid
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
PETA has done some good work exposing cruelty in the fur and factory farming industries; but their over-the-top silliness (e.g., "sea kittens") makes it very difficult for anyone to take them seriously.

I'd say they're more comparable to the "pro-life" extremists than to the Westboro Baptist Church, since they rely so heavily on sentimentalism as a substitute for rational thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I think a big part of the problem with PETA is they chose to frame their agenda in a conservative versus liberal setting. Who thinks people who would like humane treatment of animals are only liberal? That's a moronic position to take and will forever doom them from being taken as anything but a far out fringe group.

Humane treatment is no more a liberal possession than having clean air is. By constantly making these issues a win/lose battle against people who are conservative they always make things worse, make progress slower and PETA is partly to blame for not raising public awareness of how foul things can be and what alternatives exist to elevate society and make it more humane.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Admiral Thrawn
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PomInNZ wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
chaendlmaier wrote:
I believe PETA mostly caters to the "animals are cute" crowd, who constitute most of their members and which makes up most of their agenda. It's no surprise then, their operations are more about emotions than rationality.

But don't their whackjob antics make it more difficult to have serious discussions and work toward actual solutions? Don't they make it easier to smear all who care about the environment as weirdos since you can just break out a "Bet you belong to PETA too"?

Thanks for reassuring me my opinion of they isn't just media propaganda. their desire to get rid of all pets forever is just off the deep end stupid. This could only be achieved through mass extinctions of whole sub-species as there are no wild bulldogs, Siamese cats or most breeds of horse

Thanks, reassurance, and agreement on viewpoints in RSP? Something's wrong with this thread. Y'all are a bunch of hippies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PETA is comprised of a bunch clowns with seriously misplaced priorities and a complete lack of ability to think rationally.

I broke up with a girl because she started talking favourably about PETA. Shame too, because she was one hot mammal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Michealson
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
robigo wrote:
PETA has done some good work exposing cruelty in the fur and factory farming industries; but their over-the-top silliness (e.g., "sea kittens") makes it very difficult for anyone to take them seriously.

Actual PETA thing below.

Wow... that is batshit crazy. WTF is PETA thinking by creating that sort of literature?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italian Seismologist
United Kingdom
norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
[The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was not convincing people he didn't exist, but convincing them that he was God.
mbmbmbmbmb
PETA in the uk are batshit crazy bunch of twats and psycos.

they seem to be the sort that think that they can stand firm against people who test on animals (or people that work in the same building as those who test on animals) by beating them to death or issuing death threats..

I am a firm supporter of testing on animals if done properly and for the right cause.. for example i think that we should be testing new cancer cures on chimps/dogs/whatever if done in a way to ensure suffering is at a minimum.. i firmly oppose testing cosmetic products on animals.

I see 'animal rights' demonstrators ni Norwich on occasion.. they are usually flouting pictures of practices that do not occur in the uk (like live skinning of animals etc) and claiming that it does happen in the uk..

there was a news report on it a few years ago when activists tried to kill a number of animal testers or office workers in the same company.. the outcome was that a number of testing companies moved out of the UK (where there are massive restrictions on what can and cannot be done, and independent inspectors that routinely check) to other countries (like spain) where restrictions are lighter or non existent and where attitudes are different, like spain where animal cruelty is not only allowed but encouraged..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chaendlmaier wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

Sure.

GameCrossing wrote:

The Animal Liberation Front is the equivalent of Westboro. PETA is more like Jehova's Witnesses.
Ahh the ALF "we love all animals, except humans".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
robigo wrote:

Actual PETA thing below.

Ohh you have to be joking?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
femgoth wrote:
PETA in the uk are batshit crazy bunch of twats and psycos.

they seem to be the sort that think that they can stand firm against people who test on animals (or people that work in the same building as those who test on animals) by beating them to death or issuing death threats..

I am a firm supporter of testing on animals if done properly and for the right cause.. for example i think that we should be testing new cancer cures on chimps/dogs/whatever if done in a way to ensure suffering is at a minimum.. i firmly oppose testing cosmetic products on animals.

I see 'animal rights' demonstrators ni Norwich on occasion.. they are usually flouting pictures of practices that do not occur in the uk (like live skinning of animals etc) and claiming that it does happen in the uk..

there was a news report on it a few years ago when activists tried to kill a number of animal testers or office workers in the same company.. the outcome was that a number of testing companies moved out of the UK (where there are massive restrictions on what can and cannot be done, and independent inspectors that routinely check) to other countries (like spain) where restrictions are lighter or non existent and where attitudes are different, like spain where animal cruelty is not only allowed but encouraged..
As has been said I think that is the ALF, not PETA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Twice
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
mrspank wrote:
Wow... that is batshit crazy. WTF is PETA thinking by creating that sort of literature?

They were thinking "Hey, perhaps we should write bullshit instead of picking up animals from shelters and then killing them".

Not making it up. At all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
General_Norris wrote:
mrspank wrote:

They were thinking "Hey, perhaps we should write bullshit instead of picking up animals from shelters and then killing them".

Not making it up. At all.
It's not cruelty if it's done out of love, unless it's done in the name of loving humanity of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoga Wind
United States
Mill Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

Actual PETA thing below.
Ohh you have to be joking?

You can read more Sea Kitten stories here on the PETA website!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Euroncrowseye wrote:
*doorbell*

Who's there? PETA? Very well then...

I'm hoping the irony will not be lost on them.
Ahh it makes sense now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
Don't they make it easier to smear all who care about the environment as weirdos since you can just break out a "Bet you belong to PETA too"?

It actually has a positive angle to it, as it makes it easier to dismiss the person saying it. If you are having a serious conversation about environment/animal rights and they pull out "Bet you belong to PETA too", I know I am wasting my time and need to move on to someone more intelligent.

As far as PETA goes, their heart is in the right place and they do wake some people up to issues they are probably in denial about, but some of their campaigns are ill-conceived and do cause more damage than good.

EDIT: I thought their "Got Beer?" campaign was pretty good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tagge
China
Guangzhou
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spoon wrote:
Thanks, that was truly bizarre.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.