Android: Netrunner» Forums » General

Subject: Most Hated (Best) cards of a faction. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Gallagher
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Just wondering what people think are the cards that shine the brightest and above all others in a given faction.

Here's mine.

Haas Bioroid: Accelerated Beta Test

Jinketi: Precognition or Project Junebug. Tough call here really.

NBN: Jury is still out but so far it's Tollbooth.

Weyland: Probably Scorched Earth.

Criminal: Account Siphon or Inside Job. Tough call here too.

Shaper: MAKERS EYE. HANDS DOWN. Gordion blade is of significant note.

Anarch: Wyldsyde. I stand by this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FirstName LastName
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Corporate Troubleshooter
Snare!
SEA Source
Archer
Account Siphon
Magnum Opus
Mimic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Gallagher
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm curious as to why you call out Mimic as the single best of anarch card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kempe-Cook
United States
BLOOMINGTON
IN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NanoXstatiC wrote:

Well, Sentries are easily the most "hurtful" ice, being the only ones that trace, do damage, and trash programs; Mimic is the only Killer that handles Sentries efficiently. It needs cards like Data Sucker and Ice Carver to work well, but it does it's job cheap, and that has to count for something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haas-Bioroid: Biotic Labor
Jinteki: Neural Katana
NBN: Astroscript Pilot Program
Weyland: Archer

Anarchs: Stimhack
Criminals: Inside Job
Shapers: Tinkering

Of course, this list is somewhat arbitrary, but I think these cards are all "gamechangers" from their respective factions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Kinslow
United States
Piperton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
↳ Do one brain damage ↳ Do one brain damage ↳ End the run
badge
Real heroes wear pink.
mb
Also, Mimic deals with everything you commonly see shy of a Data Raven or Archer (but if you have some Datasucker action then it bypasses these handily too). I've found that Mimic has become one of the more useful cards I use out of Anarch - and so splashable!

My list:

Anarch: Lately - Liberated Account. The card is just so bursty and gives some serious credit generation to the faction that needed it most. I also like splashing this into other builds (especially Criminal).

Criminal: Femme Fatale - I know expensive card is expensive but think about what all it does: It costs 9 but it is kind of like installing two cards at once. You get the "permanant Inside Job effect" for one half of the card and a fine (yet inefficient) Sentry breaker on the other. Oftentimes blanking a Hadrian's Wall or Tollbooth is well worth the 9 credits. I'm not even going to get into how nice this will be come time for Test Run. Oh, and the influence cost is as cheap as it comes. Honorable mentions go to Inside Job and Account Siphon (which are obviously nutter butters).

Shaper: Magnum Opus - I think this one defines what Shaper is about at least for now anyway. High memory, medium-high cost = stable credit generation. I think that this slot will go to Chaos Theory or Test Run soon though.

Haas-Bioroid: Haas-Bioroid "Engineering The Future" - Ok, lets get it straight here. HB gets played because of the forgiving credit generation. Granted, they have some excellent cards in Ichi 1.0 and Corporate Troubleshooter, hell, even Rototurret is a gem, but what makes HB tick is that free credit every turn.

Jinteki: Snare! - This card gets splashed out into decks that don't care about dealing damage or tagging; why? The answer - free wins. Everyone likes free wins. If the runner isn't expecting a Snare! then that can lead to a flatline at the most inconvenient times. Jinteki running these is obvious and people still run into them and their untimely death. The card is priced right and it makes a great central server defense without investing the install cost.

NBN: Tollbooth - this Ice is pretty much the go to Ice as far as both hurting the runner's gameplan while also keeping them out pretty handily. There aren't any high cost code gates that the runner has to prepare for other than this one so splashing into this can really strain what makes for a good rig in the runner's eyes. For instance, if there was no Tollbooth I think many more people might invest in Yog.0. Honorable mention to both SanSan City Grid and AstroScript Pilot Program.

Weyland Consortium: Archer - this is the best Ice in the game right now hands down. There is no good way to deal with this thing and while the cost is steep the payoff is huge. As a surprise, this Ice can murder someone's right outright. After it is revealed it still is a huge hurdle. The best way to deal with it is dropping a Femme Fatale on it and just paying FOUR each time to pass it. FOUR. That's as efficient as it gets versus Archer. Project Atlas almost got the nod over Archer here as it is pretty bonkers as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric F
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
RTFM!
mbmbmbmb
Mandatory Upgrades
Snare
Tollbooth
Scorched Earth
Account Siphon
Magnum Opus
Parasite

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toby Yasutake
United States
Bridgeport
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ignisphaseone wrote:
Mandatory Upgrades
Snare
Tollbooth
Scorched Earth
Account Siphon
Magnum Opus
Parasite

pretty much my list, though astroscript and nisei are both terrifying in their own right,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Gallagher
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sad to see Fetal AI get no love. Such a dirtbag card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NanoXstatiC wrote:

If it was 4 for 2 I'd like it a lot more, but the fact that you can't fast-advance it with one Trick of Light is a big knock. As it is it's a cool trap card, but a crappy Agenda.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FirstName LastName
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NanoXstatiC wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I love Wyldside and Parasite and Medium and Stimhack and Imp too. :) But I think what sydwys8 says sums up my view on Mimic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Lord of Space
msg tools
I love mimic too, but let's face facts, if you don't bring datasucker or ice carver or even parasite then you're not getting past Data Raven (without the serious threat of giving it a counter) or Archer.

As a corp player I don't hate or fear mimic, but stimhack is another story, it can totally ruin your plans out of nowhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis R. Chance
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jinteki: In the games I have played/seen, Junebug just doesn't seem to work as well as one would hope. I would say Snare for sure for Jinteki. It just does so many things and is can just make your life suck so hard when you cannonball into one of them. That and Fetal AI, crapping down your throat like a bro. Oh, and Nisei--one of the best agendas a conspiring future ninja yuppie could ever hope for.

Weyland: Let's not forget Archer. Let's not forget Project Atlas. But, yeah, Scorched Earth is one of those format defining majigs.

NBN: I think Autoscript is pretty gross. Data Raven is no joke. But, yeah, da Booth seems to be a splash in many a deck.

HB - Don't agree on ABT. It's def good, but not something that always works--it takes some setup, or an Archives with something to protect it. I would say Adonis is given here. Ichi wins most congenial!

Neutral Corp - Enigma and Wall of Static are my dudes! But, yeah, Hedge Fund, MMC, PAD, you are all vital cogs in many machines.

Anarchs - I love Deja Vu. That card is so good, even beyond just viruses. I have splashed a single copy to function as a 4th copy of an awesome card in other decks and it has never let me down. Stim Hack is also pretty damn gross. Wyld

Criminal - Def Account Siphon and Inside Job. Special Order is a sweet ticket as well.

Shaper - Magnum Opus is insanity. Diesel is amaze-balls deluxe. I love Maker's eye, but it doesn't make sense in this faction so much to me. I guess they needed something to not just be the "good icebreaker" team. But with that in mind, I think Gordian Blade is the nut high.

Neutral Runner - I was slow to love this card, but Codebuster has grown on me. Obv Sure Gamble is a gooder.

Anyway, start pontificating and disagreeing on three!

RAR!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric F
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
RTFM!
mbmbmbmb
NanoXstatiC wrote:

Mmmmm, yeah, now that you mention it, Fetal almost should get more than Snare...because Fetal is free.

But yeah, Snare. Because it was the first (in ANR), it's splashable (unlike Fetal), and I HATE IT

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FirstName LastName
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Lord of Space wrote:
I love mimic too, but let's face facts, if you don't bring datasucker or ice carver or even parasite then you're not getting past Data Raven (without the serious threat of giving it a counter) or Archer.

This is true. But it is really nice to have against Rototurret, Neural Katana, and Caduceus among others. But maybe you are right that "really nice to have" is not to the same level as the other cards I named. :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Shvarts
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist.
badge
Someone must have been telling lies about Joseph K., for without having done anything wrong he was arrested one fine morning.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jinteki: Snare, I love having these in hand. Nothing discourages a runner more than running HQ and hitting a snare.

Weyland: Scorched Earth. Archer is great and can be devastating but SE wins games. There is a reason there are decks defined by this card.

NBN: Tollbooth. Data Raven is nice and can sticks tags on Shapers, but tollbooth is effective on everything short of a Femme Fatale. AstroScript Pilot Program is awesome as well, in general all the 2 Agenda for 3 Advancement are awesome.

HB: Mandatory Upgrades. This card wins games. Being able to fast score ABT is brutal.

Anarch: I am going to say Noise. Right now he is the only mill in the game and a Noise mill deck can be extremely effective.

Criminal: Inside Job. Account Siphon is nice but it gives you two tags so it is really 3 clicks to run it, or suffer the consequences (you siphon my account, I'll close yours... then bomb your apartment.)

Shaper: The Maker's Eye. I splash this in all my runner decks, I have killed myself with it, but I have won more games with it. It can be a powerful surprise and if you count agendas it can be a game-ender without running a huge Remote Server.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jinteki:
Fetal AI - the card that changed Jinteki play. No cost to Corp, 3 damage with core id, doubles the threat of traps for multiple R&D accesses. Yummy.

Weyland:
Archer - Scorched is great and all but Archer takes the cake in terms of absolute control, relatively splashable.
Project Atlas - 3 advance agendas are good. That it can fetch stuff is just SICK. At 1 advancement per card that's almost broken.

NBN:
Tollbooth - Super efficient, super splashable.
Astroscript - 3 advance, and props other agendas up too. Essential.

HB:
Corporate Troubleshooter - Splashable, crowd control. Buys a turn with the threat of money even if drawn with Project Atlas.
Mandatory Upgrades - Though tough to score, scoring it is SUCH a huge boon that just advancing a card 3 times is enough to put the fear of OHMYGAWD into the runner. Great predicate for traps.

Anarch:
Wyldside - hard to ride, but extremely efficient for rig building, event driving, or anything. You just gotta change your perceptions.
Deja Vu - the flexibility of getting 2 parasites back or an Account Siphon is just magnificent. Splashable too, yummy.

Criminal:
Inside Job, Account Siphon, Sneakdoor can all be splashed for massive surprise win factor.

Shaper:
Magnum Opus - lots of people don't buy it, but it's really just one of those cards that has no equal. Outpace ANY money production on the corp's side, turns the table on the corp massively without the randomness of drawing economy cards. AND it's splashable!
Test Run - when this comes out the Shapers are going to be mad. They can single splash just about anything, get (almost) free use out of them, and hang on to it depending on situation. Incredible for in-faction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Linnell
United States
Bedford
NH
flag msg tools
I really need a new badge, avatar, and overtext. GM me with any ideas....
badge
This is the seahorse valley
mb
Anarch - Parasite (and Datasucker) Kills cheap but effective ICE quickly, and when used with datasucker can take out significant portions of your defense in short order.

Criminal - Account siphon. Just so damn disruptive to your economy, and loads them up with lots of cash. Also, Inside Job.

Shaper - Test run will be nuts, but for now I would probably say Aesop's. It turns all the margninal cards that they played already into income sources. If I played traces, Rabbit Hole would be up there too.

Haas-Bioroid - Corporate Troubleshooter, if the corp has the money, this guy gets the job done.

Jinteki - Snare gets a lot of love, but Chum is actually one of my favorites - combos well with just about anything (Even a chummed Sensei is annoying).

Weyland - Scorched Earth is defining at the moment, but it wouldn't be what it is without Posted Bounty. Archer is very strong, but Hadrian's Wall is just ridiculous.

NBN - Tollbooth, although their agendas are quite nice. A scored restructured datapool means that the runner will get tagged if they don't have the links.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ony Moose
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to go for "ruins your day when played" cards

Anarch - Stimhack, you think you're safe, but you're not. The creds mean traces, additional costs to steal etc are all easily paid.
Criminal - Inside Job, nice agenda you had there...
Shaper - Maker's Eye, can turn 1 hit on R&D into a game loss. If they use two in the same turn can turn very nasty very quickly!

HB - Corporate Troubleshooter, keeps the runner out for a turn, or completely trashes their rig and/or brain.
NBN - Astroscript Pilot Program. If they score one, they score all of them!
Weyland - Archer being ressed as a surprise is nasty.
Jinteki - Snare in R&D/HQ for sudden unexpected pain to the runner

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haas Bioroid: Ash 2X3ZB9CY

Jinketi: Snare!

NBN: AstroScript Pilot Program

Weyland: Archer or Scorched Earth... tough call on this one.

Criminal: Inside Job

Shaper: The Maker's Eye

Anarch: Medium

It's worth noting that basically the three Runner cards can change the course of the game immediately (or soon after they are played, in Medium's case).
The Corp cards require some more effort, to say the least!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Hedegaard
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HB - Corporate Troubleshooter. When the richest faction gets "pay X credits to own the runner," that is trouble.

Jinteki - Snare! Even R&D and HQ aren't safe to run.

Weyland - Archer. Having this rezzed during a run will ruin a runner's day. Running past it after that will ruin a runner's bank account.

NBN - Data Raven. Hands down the scariest tagger (too bad on the work-around, though). Good when splashed too.

Neutral Corp - MMC. It's Costco for credits - buy in bulk!

Criminal - Account Siphon. The economic swings this induces are insane.

Shaper - Rabbit Hole. Renders tracers obsolete simply by putting these in your deck.

Anarch - Noise. Yeah, the ID card. Some factions play ice denial. Some play credit denial. Noise plays everything denial.

Neutral Runner - Crypsis. With enough money and clicks to spare, it's your entire rig of breakers in one card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rayne Smith
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haas Bioroid: Biotic Labor, the fast advance potential of this card is awesome.

Jinketi: Trick of Light, while the card isn't great by itself, it pretty made cards like Project Junebug a lot more useful. I think this card was one of the biggest game changers for Jinteki.

NBN: Astroscript Pilot Program, This card greatly helps out NBN.

Weyland: Project Atlas, the ability to tutor cards is extremely brutal, especially for Weyland.

Criminal: Criminal has a lot of great cards. I think I'm going to have to pick Inside Job as their best though.

Shaper: Magnum Opus is where my vote will go. If Test Run ends up working as well as it looks like it will, then this will eb changing.

Anarch: Wyldsyde. I stand by this too, this is the best acceleration card I have played with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conny Karlsson
Sweden
Skövde
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haas Bioroid: Ash 1337IDKTN (1337 I Don't Know The Name). I play Hasbro almost exclusively when it comes to corp and no one else in my local meta does, therefore i don't really have a hate card, but i'm loving ash and that probably means it's pretty hated among the ones i face and i would imagine i'd feel the same.

Jinketi: Snare! hands down. It's splashed into a lot of decks to the point where you're not at all surprised when you see one, you expect to draw one from r&d or HQ.

NBN: SanSan City. It's not the card itself, it's that once SanSan City is rezzed on the table, you know the corp is feeling secure enough to start his super fast advancing, having possibly scored an Astroscript Pilot Program. It means you have to dive into that possibly lethal server where he's probably hidden a splashed archer or something, i hate those situations.

Weyland: You'd think i'd say Archer like most people but the truth is, Archer can usually be played around, if you semi-expect it it's really not that troublesome, it's expensive, no doubt, but it's also expensive for the corp, having to sac agendas, which buys me time. No, the one card i hate from Weyland is Scorched Earth. It forces you to play safe, it forces you to fill your hand, it forces you to play certain cards (plascrete, decoy) if you want to feel safe at all and even that's not foolproof. I hate cards that force you into playing a certain way rather than just adapting to a situation like you can with Archer. Project Atlas of course gets a special mention for being almost considered broken.

Criminal: Gabriel Santiago. Yes i said it, i hate that guy. He keeps running my HQ or my Archives in hopes of getting money, once he does it means his run was made more efficiently than can be expected. Combine him with a desperado and suddenly he has 3 free credits which he uses to get into my HQ (as long as he succeeds, which he does because he's got a ton of tricks up his sleeve in the form of inside job, sneakdoor, forged activation orders, the E3 chip, the list goes on)

Shaper: Maker's Eye. It's one of the most splashed cards from shaper (in my meta) because it's pretty much useful to everyone if you have the influence. I play shaper myself and i really like the card, but from the corps perspective it's annoying to say the least. Nothing gets your heart beating like that moment where the runner is successful and draws those 3 cards one at a time, you almost expect the game to be over there and then.

Anarch: Medium. I was going to say Noise because of some decks i've seen around BGG, but no one plays him like that in my meta (r&d milling), at least just like that. I don't like having to face medium becuase it means i have to keep protecting r&d sufficiently to keep the anarch (i'm assuming it's an anarch) out in a costly manner. There's always the possibility he'll keep running even if it's costing him a small amount of credits and if he thinks it'll win the game, he'll probably stimhack into it and just go all out for 5-6 cards. It all really depends on my own draws, but those games were you're low on ICE and he's got a medium out, you know you're in for a world of hurt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jensen
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure you all have this right; you are supposed to be thinking of cards you never want to see your opponent to play. They are cards you have to play around; and really can mess up your play.

Jinketi Project Junebug; Snare and Fetal AI;You'll always be drawing to at least four cards; this can be an annoyance and slow you down. It's these cards that make you add Infiltration and simliar others

HaasBioroid Corporate Troubleshooter; you can't tell me this hasn't cost (won) you a number of games. Granted you may not change your strategy as runner against these, but you really do think twice.

Weyland Scorched Earth/Project Atlas has you reacting to every single tag!

Shaper As Corps you've got to score early! The shaper rig forces you to pick up tempo.

Criminal How many times do you wait building that remote server until you have two (yes, count!) two ICE

Anarch STIMHACK! I've been really keeping an eye on this card recently and making sure as Corps I've got the ability to sruvive a Stimhack. I've been burned by this numerous times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Sorrell
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
Haas Bioroid: Mandatory Upgrades (don't have much experience with HB at this point really)

Jinketi: Snare (by a long shot, the card I have lost to most)

NBN: Tollbooth (most obnoxious ice)

Weyland: Scorched Earth! (love playing this card and hate seeing it played against me)

Criminal: Inside Job (used this to great effect in some game's last week)

Shaper: Magnum Opus

Anarch: Wyldsyde

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.