Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Heil
United States
High Ridge
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gunship has been an obsession of mine since this Kickstarter first was announced. I read and re-read the rules, looked at pictures and day dreamed about this game. Then, yesterday, after a litteral slow boat from China, it came.

Game play:

You just don't get a more themematic space battle game like this. I've played a lot of games and none scratch this itch. Its fast furious and balanced. No piece of the game seems un-optimal. From fighter battles to Gunship attack runs against the enemy carrier, this game feels like a space war.

Damage is viceral and has real impact. Have an ion storm hit your power generator, and you feel the panic as your crew hurries to bring your ship back online. Take some nasty hits while trying to dive in on the enemy carrier, and bombs you needed to drop might not only be damaged but your whole wing may have come off with it.

Due to excellent repair mechanics all hope is never lost. You can repair re-arm and get back in the fight. But it takes time and your fleet is vulnerable without its mighty gunship vangard.

Balance:

I've seen some comments that this is nothing but a dice fest. I completely disagree. There is luck involved but it isn't overwhelming. I think the best laid plans need to blow up in your face once and again. Its how you react and what options you have that makes or breaks a good strategy.

Every game of this I played has come down to the last few hits or runs making the diffrence. Very rarely do I see a completely blow out unless a player was a foolish and a little too brash with their gunship. Flying through a fighter swarm and then trying perform two attack runs taking damage both times and then complaining that your gunship is tearing them up for instance. While it may look like dice did a person in, it always comes down to risk vs reward, and sometimes the risk is a bit too great.

All the weapons are available to both sides, so your load out and choices were something you own in the match. Due to the fact that gunship vs gunship combat does not use dice at all its hard to blame luck there either.

Components:

Yes, they aren't what they could be material wise, but its a first edition Kickstarter copy, and this is what you get. The art is fantastic and the cards have a clean and easy to understand design to them.

Gunship: First Strike exceeded my expectations, and after a build up like that, its all the more impressive. When this game goes mass market get it. Do not hesitate. If you enjoy space combat at all and want a fast romp in a galactic war, you will love Gunship: First Strike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent review, just wish my copy would hurry up and arrive, waiting impatiently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dale
Australia
Moggill
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
badge
When will the die stop rolling? What face finishes showing?
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine arrived in two packages, one yesterday and one today. Now to play...

- Pauli
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Review is dead on. This game is fantastic.
Thank you for your review!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Mehr
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much for the review! I am very happy you enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review! Can't wait for my copy to finally arrive in Germany!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Fully agree with the review except for the lack of enthusiasm for the components. I think they're first-rate. The portrait art for the crew members is a little flat for my tastes, but it is stylistically consistent and the artist's and designer's choice, not mine. It certainly doesn't detract from the game at all.

Ship boards, weapons cards, counters, and dice are top-notch. Only problem is that the (sturdy, shiny, durable) box isn't quite deep enough to hold the extras like Mk II Gunship cards except underneath the insert.

Gee, a wealth of components and expansion materials. Such an ordeal! (Not.)

Even non-sci-fi gamers should give "Gunship" a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.